Explorer turnaround?

We have relatives currently onboard Explorer, so every now and then we follow up on MarineTraffic.com. At present the ship is on the final leg of an Alaskan cruise, homeported in Seattle. We note that some three hours after leaving Victoria, BC she has turned around, and appears to be heading back to Victoria. What gives? Medical emergency?

It's beginning to look like Explorer is headed for Port Angeles, WA. Makes me suspect some kind of medical emergency. PA is a good place for this kind of activity, with a US Coast Guard Air Station (with helicopters) in addition to a sheltered, deep water harbor. Looks like an exciting night onboard. And there may be a somewhat later arrival in Seattle than originally anticipated.

Whether this really was a medical emergency is difficult to say, especially from half a world away (I'm currently in Asia). About two miles from Port Angeles I noticed a marine pilot boat in the vicinity of Explorer, this may just have been a routine maneuver as part of the approach to Seattle. Also looks like there might not be any delay in the arrival to Seattle.

Port Angeles is where ships headed into Puget Sound pick up the pilot. That's why the Explorer was heading there. On this particular sailing, the ship leaves Victoria BC at 5pm, debarks the Canadian pilot, then spends the evening slowly cruising around the Strait of Juan de Fuca before picking up the US pilot in the early morning for the journey back to Seattle.

Edited by Jasperdo