Carnival Pride- Sept. 4th to 11th- BERMUDA! Here's my review.

fshstck

What are the internet packages and costs for the Bermuda run on the Pride?

I think the social media package was $25. We put our phones on airplane mode and never turned the WiFi on. I did download the Carnival Hub app, it was actually easier using the Fun Times brochures.

There were lots of people online so I think the internet packages were popular. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

I love to plan our vacations, going to Bermuda I realized timing would be a factor due to relying on Public Transportation. The Pride was scheduled to dock at the Royal Navy Dockyard at 7:00 am and the Norwegian Breakaway was scheduled to arrive at 7:30 am. I figured with the two ships arriving close together getting a transportation pass and on the first available Ferry would be crucial. When we got the Fun Times it showed that arrival would be 9:30- I was disappointing, but was hoping we would still beat the Breakaway in. With first sunlight I saw a larger ship in front of us. The Breakaway would be the first one to the port, by about 1/2 hour. As we were still docking I saw the passengers of the Breakaway start to fill the dock as they headed off the boat. Looking off our balcony I noticed the Ferry boat was much closer than I thought it would be, now I had to figure out where to buy the Transportation Passes. I knew there were 3 Visitor Information Centers in the dockyard, but not exactly where. We were allowed off the boat around 920 and I started to head towards the Ferry, luckily I turned back towards the building where we docked and saw the magical words "VISITOR INFORMATION CENTER" There was only one person in line, I bought 2 passes at $31 each and hustled to the Ferry. As we walked towards the ramp I hear "Last call for Hamilton"- we were the last two on the Ferry. For each thing I had planned I put the paperwork in an envelope and wrote on the outside which bus routes would take us there. So now we dock in Hamilton and the bus depot is a short walk away. Found the #7 bus, checked with the driver that it stopped at Coco Reef and we were on our way, here's a tip, the bus stops are not well marked so make sure you tell the driver where you are going so he gets you to the closest spot. The driver informed us of our stop and again another short walk to Coco Reef resort. We were greeted by the courteous staff, paid the $69 each and given two beach towels to use, two vouchers for lunch and a quick orientation of where the beach, the pool and loungers were located. We walked out the back door and were greeted by a beautiful bright blue ocean. Words can't describe how magnificent this location was......to be continued.

Hope you get to #13 before I leave in 3 days for Baltimore. I have FTTF and would love to hear how it worked out for you on the Pride.
Ok, I will do this for you now.

We were lucky enough to purxhase FTF for this cruise, we had a peevious excellent experience with it on Victory out of Miami the year before.

Baltimore check in- we had arrived to the terminal around 1030 via shuttle bus from a local hotel. Our baggage had the FTF luggage tags that we had printed out. The shuttle bus driver turned the bags over to the porter as we went into the teminal. Screening went smoothly, we had a Driver's License and Birth Certificates for documentation. No problem, they did open our 12 packs of soda and checked each can, then taped it closed.After screening FTF had a dedicated line and we went right to the counter and got our Sign and Sail cards that had the FTF sticker on them. We were then seated in the front of the main waiting area sectioned off for FTF (I would estimaye about 40 people had FTF). There was another small room where VIPs (platinum?) and wedding parties were taken to. We were ready to board somewhere aroind 11:30- not sure of the exact time. They took the VIPs, weeding parties and then FTF. We went on board found our room and everything was already made up, our Room Steward greeted us but our bags had not reached the room yet ( we were hoping to get our bathing suits on). So we headed off to lunch. Guy's Burgers was our first meal, no long line and they were quick and ready to feed us. After we ate we headed back to our rooms and our luggage was there. We were in our bathing suits and able to get a hammock on the Serenity Deck before anyone else got there. Luckily we didn't need 'Guest Services' but they have a dedicated line for FTF - (this saved us a lot of time and grief when we had an issue the first evening on the Victory out of Miami).

Last day- we decided to carry our bags out through customs rather than leave them in the hallway the night before and have them taken off by Carnival, we wanted to save time so that we could catch the first shuttle bus back to our hotel. Here's where it gets interesting. We get a letter the night before telling us to report to the Butterfly Lounge on the second deck for staging prior to disembarking. They had the VIPs on one side of the room and FTF on the other side. Keep in mind that we would be leaving off byvthe 1st or A deck (I think this is becais of the gangway damage a few moths ago- first time using Baltimore so I am not 100% sure). They call the VIPs out of the room first and then out the opposite side the FTF- this is when it becomes a huge ClusterF@#K. As soon as there was movement the people on the 3rd floor stairwell bum rushed the second floor and due to inadequate staffing and barriers it created a traffic jam in the hallway, essentially trapping the majority of the FTF holders in Butterflies Lounge. We were already in the hallway when the breach occurred but I heard other FTF holders complaining to staff and they were helpless. We were able to get through and out to Customs but poor planning on Carnival's part made it more difficult than it should have been. With the bad experience, would I get FTF again?, absolutely without a doubt. FTF overall Grade D+.

Edited by fshstck

Ok, I will do this for you now.

We were lucky enough to purxhase FTF for this cruise, we had a peevious excellent experience with it on Victory out of Miami the year before.

Baltimore check in- we had arrived to the terminal around 1030 via shuttle bus from a local hotel. Our baggage had the FTF luggage tags that we had printed out. The shuttle bus driver turned the bags over to the porter as we went into the teminal. Screening went smoothly, we had a Driver's License and Birth Certificates for documentation. No problem, they did open our 12 packs of soda and checked each can, then taped it closed.After screening FTF had a dedicated line and we went right to the counter and got our Sign and Sail cards that had the FTF sticker on them. We were then seated in the front of the main waiting area sectioned off for FTF (I would estimaye about 40 people had FTF). There was another small room where VIPs (platinum?) and wedding parties were taken to. We were ready to board somewhere aroind 11:30- not sure of the exact time. They took the VIPs, weeding parties and then FTF. We went on board found our room and everything was already made up, our Room Steward greeted us but our bags had not reached the room yet ( we were hoping to get our bathing suits on). So we headed off to lunch. Guy's Burgers was our first meal, no long line and they were quick and ready to feed us. After we ate we headed back to our rooms and our luggage was there. We were in our bathing suits and able to get a hammock on the Serenity Deck before anyone else got there. Luckily we didn't need 'Guest Services' but they have a dedicated line for FTF - (this saved us a lot of time and grief when we had an issue the first evening on the Victory out of Miami).

Last day- we decided to carry our bags out through customs rather than leave them in the hallway the night before and have them taken off by Carnival, we wanted to save time so that we could catch the first shuttle bus back to our hotel. Here's where it gets interesting. We get a letter the night before telling us to report to the Butterfly Lounge on the second deck for staging prior to disembarking. They had the VIPs on one side of the room and FTF on the other side. Keep in mind that we would be leaving off byvthe 1st or A deck (I think this is becais of the gangway damage a few moths ago- first time using Baltimore so I am not 100% sure). They call the VIPs out of the room first and then out the opposite side the FTF- this is when it becomes a huge ClusterF@#K. As soon as there was movement the people on the 3rd floor stairwell bum rushed the second floor and due to inadequate staffing and barriers it created a traffic jam in the hallway, essentially trapping the majority of the FTF holders in Butterflies Lounge. We were already in the hallway when the breach occurred but I heard other FTF holders complaining to staff and they were helpless. We were able to get through and out to Customs but poor planning on Carnival's part made it more difficult than it should have been. With the bad experience, would I get FTF again?, absolutely without a doubt. FTF overall Grade D+.

Thanks. Did the shuttle make several trips back and forth? Was there a schedule? Like maybe every hour? I am staying at the BW too.

Thanks. Did the shuttle make several trips back and forth? Was there a schedule? Like maybe every hour? I am staying at the BW too.

Call the hotel lobby today and ask to be put on the earliest bus available to the terminal. They keep a list and each shuttle has limited space. Coming back from the terminal to hotel they are first come first go. We had to wait about 10 minutes until the shuttle was half full ( keep in mind they have to get back to the hotel to pick up more guests going to the terminal). Also if you have time the night before I reccomend the hotel shuttle to Inner Harbor.

Call the hotel lobby today and ask to be put on the earliest bus available to the terminal. They keep a list and each shuttle has limited space. Coming back from the terminal to hotel they are first come first go. We had to wait about 10 minutes until the shuttle was half full ( keep in mind they have to get back to the hotel to pick up more guests going to the terminal). Also if you have time the night before I reccomend the hotel shuttle to Inner Harbor.

I got an email from the shuttle provider saying I was confirmed for the 10:15 shuttle. So I still need to sign up at hotel check in?

Thanks!

Sue

I got an email from the shuttle provider saying I was confirmed for the 10:15 shuttle. So I still need to sign up at hotel check in?

Thanks!

Sue

You're good, I think that is tbe earliest shuttle, I'd print the confirmation email and bring it with you. They will have a table set up in the morning of tbe cruise for check in.

Can you answer a question about noise in the room? With the Lido deck above you did you have any noise issues in your room?

There was noise, the only time I would say it was bad was during two late night deck party, especially the 80's night. We were able to sleep through it. If you're sensitive to noise it may be a factor to consider. Or try to book a room undet the carpeted buffet area. I think we wete directly under the seating area for Guy's Burgers.

Great review so far.. Looking forward to hearing about Glass Beach. I hope to cruise to Bermuda next fall :)

Glass Beach was one of our favorite spots, mostly because it was out of the ordinary and quirky. I will get to it soon. Here's a teaser: it's within walking distance of the dockyard! Great thing to do on your last day.

I love to plan our vacations, going to Bermuda I realized timing would be a factor due to relying on Public Transportation. The Pride was scheduled to dock at the Royal Navy Dockyard at 7:00 am and the Norwegian Breakaway was scheduled to arrive at 7:30 am. I figured with the two ships arriving close together getting a transportation pass and on the first available Ferry would be crucial. When we got the Fun Times it showed that arrival would be 9:30- I was disappointing, but was hoping we would still beat the Breakaway in. With first sunlight I saw a larger ship in front of us. The Breakaway would be the first one to the port, by about 1/2 hour. As we were still docking I saw the passengers of the Breakaway start to fill the dock as they headed off the boat. Looking off our balcony I noticed the Ferry boat was much closer than I thought it would be, now I had to figure out where to buy the Transportation Passes. I knew there were 3 Visitor Information Centers in the dockyard, but not exactly where. We were allowed off the boat around 920 and I started to head towards the Ferry, luckily I turned back towards the building where we docked and saw the magical words "VISITOR INFORMATION CENTER" There was only one person in line, I bought 2 passes at $31 each and hustled to the Ferry. As we walked towards the ramp I hear "Last call for Hamilton"- we were the last two on the Ferry. For each thing I had planned I put the paperwork in an envelope and wrote on the outside which bus routes would take us there. So now we dock in Hamilton and the bus depot is a short walk away. Found the #7 bus, checked with the driver that it stopped at Coco Reef and we were on our way, here's a tip, the bus stops are not well marked so make sure you tell the driver where you are going so he gets you to the closest spot. The driver informed us of our stop and again another short walk to Coco Reef resort. We were greeted by the courteous staff, paid the $69 each and given two beach towels to use, two vouchers for lunch and a quick orientation of where the beach, the pool and loungers were located. We walked out the back door and were greeted by a beautiful bright blue ocean. Words can't describe how magnificent this location was......to be continued.

So now we walked past the pool and there is a little staircase to get to the beach area, there is an upper level that has some loungers and umbrellas, this is where we decide to set up. This day the water was a little rough, so it made swimming a little tricky because you would occasionally find rock/coral formations hidden under the water. We decide to walk a little bit to the right towards Elbow Beach Resort and the area is better suited for swimming. We did a little snorkeling here, and if you swam out to the rock formations you could see some really nice fish. We are beginner snorkelers so it was tough doing it with the wave action. So we put up the gear and just swim and enjoy a nice walk down the shoreline. After a few hours we decide to head up for lunch, since we were in bathing suits and my wife had a cover up we decided to eat on the outside deck. The meal voucher is for a 2 course meal and a drink (which could include wine, beer or a soda) You could either get an appetizer and entree or an appetizer and dessert. My wife got a Salad and a Vegetable Sandwich on a baguette with a beer. I chose to get the fish sandwich on a baguette and a brownie for dessert with a Ginger Beer. The menu the offered for the day pass had a limited selection compared to the regular menu, but the food was excellent. Both of us were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food.

We used the pool a few times and swam some more, it was getting around 3:00 pm and decided to catch the bus to Horseshoe Bay. Overall Grade: A

A short walk to the bus stop and we are off to Horseshoe Bay!

I figured that Horseshoe Bay would be crowded considering it is Bermuda's most famous beach. It is usually ranked among the top 10 beaches in the world on travel shows. With two cruise ships in dock I suspected it would be crowded, this is the main reason I chose to spend the money to get a Day Pass at Coco Reef. After being on a cruise ship for 3 days I wanted some quiet time. We get off the bus and see there is quite a long line line waiting to hop on for the ride back to the Dock Yard. It was a fairly long walk down a steep road to the beach, when we got to the bottom there were many private taxis and shuttle buses waiting. Just as I suspected when we walked onto the beach it was CROWDED! there were lines and lines of of loungers and umbrellas, just the reason why I was hesitant to come here. Despite the crowd, WOW! this beach is amazing, we walked down lay our stuff down on the beach and decided to take a swim. This was the only time I felt uncomfortable about someone taking our stuff, just so many people. The water was a beautiful shade of light blue and the waves were gentle but consistent. After we swam awhile we walked further to the left past the big rock formations and found an area more isolated. This is truly heaven on earth. A must see stop. If you had to do one beach and crowds weren't a factor- this is it! we stayed a few hours taking pictures and swimming. Overall Grade: A

It was getting time for dinner so we headed back to the dockyard via bus #7

Natura Spa at Grotto Bay Resort- Couples Massage.

We had a specific time to make or appointment so we hopped on the Ferry to Hamilton and took the first bus heading towards Grotto Bay. I told the bus driver were we were going and he lets us now which stop to get off at. We got there about an hour early, so we walked down the road to scope out where the entrance to "Tom Moore's Jungle" AKA Blue Hole Park was located, this day was very humid so we stopped at the gas station and got a few soft drinks and candy bars to hold us over (Dark Chocolate Reese's Peanut Butter cup- yummy- I've never seen those before). Now back to the Spa for the massages.

I've never had a massage before and never thought about getting one but I read many reviews about this place and I knew it was something my wife would love, besides it's in a freaking cave! We waited about 10 minutes on a wooden walking outside the locked entrance to the cave until we were met by the staff. They walked us into the cave where there were several different private areas set up as mini massage rooms, the beds were on a platform over the water, visually amazing and the dripping water sounds were relaxing you couldn't ask for a more memorable location for a massage. I know nothing about massages but I thoroughly enjoyed the 50 minute massage , my wife also said it was fantastic. The other cool thing at Grotto Bay Resort was that they have Cathedral Cave, it's a swimming cave reserved for guests of the Resort. I decided to give it a swim, it was very nice, the water was cool and refreshing, we didn't stay there long, my wife didn't want to swim because we were doing some hiking next. Overall Grade: B- When we talk about all the amazing things we did it Bermuda, this usually is at the bottom of the list, personally it's just not my thing. If you're into massages, this is a must. The cost was pretty expensive, and as we were about to find out, Sometimes the most awesome memories are absolutely free- we were off to TOM MOORE'S JUNGLE!

Edited by fshstck

After the couples massage at Grotto Bay Resort we were relaxed and ready for some hiking. We walked down the hill to the gas station and asked for directions into "Tom Moore's Jungle" AKA Blue Hole Park. The guy working there told us to cross the road, right before the causeway and to enter the path by the parking lot. We found one trail appeared to be fenced off (probably to prevent mopeds from riding down it) to the right there was a smaller trail that lead to the main trail.We were determined to follow every little side path would could, in search of adventure. The first path off to the right lead to a water cave that was blocked by a short wooden fence, the area around this cave was stunning, it looked like a little mini rain forest. There was a tiny step trail down the side of the fence but it looked too steep and dangerous, he heading back.

A bit further down the main trail we came across a clearing, grass hill area which we followed up to an abandoned building and broken down car, nothing fun up here. As we were heading back we came across a small family who told us about a swimming hole nearby, they led is to the "Blue Hole" There was a wooden deck overlooking that small lake and we stripped down to our bathing suits and jumped off the dock. The area was surrounded by high stone walls, the only way out we found was a small path next to the deck, (there is where water shoes are a must). We put on our snorkel equipment and swam around the lake, exploring the rock edges and plant life. Not a lot of fish, but very interesting. We saw there were two small cliffs suitable for jumping! From the dock there is a red dirt trail that leads up to the path, I estimate one to be about 12' and the other 18'. The first time it's a little intimidating standing up there wondering if the water is deep enough. It was and we all took turns jumping into the warm light blue water. We probably spent 1 1/2 hours here and we could have stayed longer as there was more hiking to do. We put on our dry clothes and headed towards the bay, we saw a clearing and my wife went over to take some pictures. There was a picnic table to the left side of the clearing and my wife was looking around and shouted "THERE ARE SOME CAVES!" We climbed down the hill and saw two caves along the waters edge. These caves were filled with water- about 4' deep and again we got down to our bathing suits, put on the snorkel gear and headed in. A waterproof flashlight is a must, while these caves are not huge, they get dark quick! When you're in the caves it is easier to swim than to walk because the floor bed is mucky and you will sink in. We explored the cave to the right first and came out and then went into the cave on the left (it has an old metal gate on it) we discovered there was a small passageway that you could actually swim through to get from one cave to another. While there we decided to do some snorkeling in the bay. The water was calm and offered lots of small fish and cool vegetation to look at. A tour guide came to the area and told us about another, bigger cave inland. We dried off and went back to hiking. I will tell you, that even without the cave swimming and the cliff jumping, this area would be awesome just to hike in. It offered some beautiful trees and paths and occasionally a chicken running around. We hiked awhile and found the switchback the guide told us about. Surprisingly this is a hilly area, we kept following the trails up hill and came across another blue hole, this one was smaller and there were posted 'NO SWIMMING SIGNS', we kept going thinking we were on the wrong path to the cave. Then we found it, a huge cave with water that appeared to be very deep, again there were 'No Swimming Signs" posted on it. As much as I wanted to get in there, we didn't. It was two far away and with just two of us I didn't want to risk it in case something happened, besides we were tired and hungry. We backtracked and hit the main trail and followed it to the end, behind Tom Moore's Tavern. We decided to head to back to were we started and go get lunch at The Swizzle Inn. The way back was easy, but damn I was tempted to go back to the Blue Hole and jump off the cliffs again. We looked at our watches and realized we had just spend about 3 hours in Tom Moore's Jungle, but the memories will last a lifetime. When I was planning our trip, Tom Moore's Jungle was almost an afterthought, something to do after we got our couples massage, in retrospect it was the most amazing part of our trip, and best off it was free!, If you go the following are a must: Snorkel Mask, Snorkel, watershoes (I would leave the flippers home), and a waterproof flashlight. You might also want to pick up some snacks and drinks at the gas station just before the entrance. Over Grade: AA ++ Like I said, we were hungry, so off to The Swizzle Inn!

Edited by fshstck

So we had the message, spent about 3 hours in Tom Moore's Jungle and with the heat and humidity we were thirsty and hungry. The Swizzle Inn is within close walking distance to Tom Moore's Jungle and the Grotto Bay Resort, just up the hill. We decided to take a seat outside on the upper porch. Nice view and it was good to sit down. We ordered a 1/2 pitcher of Rum Swizzle to share (I'm not a drinker, but it was good). For lunch, even though now it was after 4 pm. I ordered the Fish Sandwich and my wife got the Cheeseburger, both came with Fries. The meals were both very good and service was great, the bill came to $52. After we ate we wanted to go across the street for Bailey's Ice Cream, but time was getting late because we wanted to catch a bus to St. George to catch the last Ferry back to the Dockyard. There was a bus stop in front of The Swizzle Inn and they came frequently. Overall Grade: A

I had heard about Glass Beach, but didn't realize how close to the dockyard it was. On our first day at Bermuda we heard some people say they tried to find it but couldn't, another couple confirmed that it was nearby. Today was our last day in Bermuda we had to be on the ship by 11:30 AM, that meant we had to do stuff nearby. We ordered early morning room service at 6:00 am and ate a light breakfast. Our plan was to walk to glass beach and then to Snorkel Park. There were very few people out this early in the morning but we asked a local working at the dockyard about glass beach. He told us, it's withing walking distance and told us to head over the bridge and head towards the lone grey tower. There are 3 turquoise buildings along the road and Glass Beach is right behind there

I had heard about Glass Beach, but didn't realize how close to the dockyard it was. On our first day at Bermuda we heard some people say they tried to find it but couldn't, another couple confirmed that it was nearby. Today was our last day in Bermuda we had to be on the ship by 11:30 AM, that meant we had to do stuff nearby. We ordered early morning room service at 6:00 am and ate a light breakfast. Our plan was to walk to glass beach and then to Snorkel Park. There were very few people out this early in the morning but we asked a local working at the dockyard about glass beach. He told us, it's withing walking distance and told us to head over the bridge and head towards the lone grey tower. There are 3 turquoise buildings along the road and Glass Beach is right behind there

Thanks for this info. Was the walk worth it?

Sue

thanks for the info, we had been to bermuda a few times, and i have always wanted to go there. didn't realize it was that close.

we are leaving for bermuda on sunday and I am hoping to make it there.

The guy who gave us directions said that after the latest storms a lot of the glass had been washed back out, he also said it wasn't a good beach for swimming. We decided to walk there, my wife checked the distance on her fitbit and it was just under 1 1/2 miles to glass beach. Be forewarned, these roads are very narrow and in some places there are no sidewalks, be careful and aware of your surroundings. We find the stairs that lead down to the beach, there is a big sign marking it as "GLASS BEACH" it also warns not to collect any of the glass there. It's a neat quirky place with layers and layers of beach glass and some really neat makeshift artwork. We decided to get the snorkel equipment out and headed into the water, surprisingly I didn't much more glass once in the water, but the plant life out there is amazing with lots of fish. If you're coming here to collect glass, you're going to be disappointed because you can't take it with you. If you're here to spend an hour or so seeing something unique that this place is for you. My wife loved this place because it was like finding a hidden, off the path place, I enjoyed it for the snorkeling. For us, it was definitely worth the walk. I heard that they may be tearing down the turquoise buildings soon, so you might have a harder time finding it. There is also a tiny 'Convict Cemetery' near the entrance, that's kind of neat. Overall: Grade A Again, be careful if you're walking due to narrow roads. Only a few hours left in Bermuda so we are off to Snorkel Park Beach.