Short Stop in San Juan

FJTinSC

We will be porting in San Juan on our Navigator cruise. We'll be there from like 2PM-10PM.

Was wondering what reccomendations anyone might have for sights to see, tours to take, etc.

Thanks for any input!

We just got back a little over a week ago. We were on a repositioning cruise that ended in San Juan. So we stayed that day and flew home the next. We walked most of OSJ in an afternoon. The highlights I found interesting were the San Juan Cathedral, which houses the tomb of Ponce de Leon, and the de Morro Fortress all within walking distance of each other. I am not sure how far they are from the cruise port because we caught a taxi to our hotel which was directly across from the Cathedral. You can catch a taxi just about anywhere. If you don't get a map of OSJ step into any hotel and most have one. Have fun and I suggest wearing tennis shoes because all the sidewalks and streets are made up of cobblestone which can be a bit tricky. (or maybe i'm just clumbsy)

Tex...Oh you are good!! Yes we did stay at the El Convento. What a wonderful place. As you probably already know, the El Convento was built back in the 1600's as a convent for nuns. I won't go into the history because they will give you a brochure about the convent and all it's history when you check in. It is full of old world charm. You will be in aww the moment you step in. The rooms are tastefully decorated in spanish themes most with double slatted doors and screens that open up to the outside. You enter your room from beautiful outdoor corridors that are lined with palms and small tables. Each evening the maids go around and lite the tea lite candles on each table giving it a romantic feel. The courtyard is gorgeous. There is a bar and a restuarant there too. We did not eat there because it is a bit expensive. Be sure to go up to the roof where the pool and hot tub are. It is like an oasis with plants and flowers everywhere. And the view is spectacular. The pool is a bit small and at the time we were there, we couldn't get the hot tub to work. But that didn't matter. We still had a great time. Everything is pretty much within walking distance from the hotel and the Cathedral is directly across the street. You can walk to the El Morro Fortress from there also. Hope you have a wonderful time and take in all the sites. We hope to someday go back and stay longer to visit more of the island.

Tropicislandluvr: I already have the brochure as a friend stayed there in the spring..... and I have researched this trip to death.... my husband teases me and says there really is no reason for me to go because I already know everything and have seen all the pictures etc etc.... I can't wait. We fly in Thanksgiving Day and our friends the next day (Fri). Our ship doesnt leave until 10pm Saturday so have some time to explore.Will do walk of osj and shopping Fri. afternoon and then salsa dancing at local club Fri night. We plan to drive up to El Yunque on Sat morning and picnic lunch there while hiking. Then back to hotel and pickup luggage and then to ship. I too wish we had more time but 3 days/2 nights precruise was all we could work in with the 7 day cruise. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Archived