Cenotes and Turtle Cove Questions

Newcruiser2012

We will be sailing on the Allure in February and we are looking at the Cenotes and Turtle Cove excursion. My 19 y/o DD is OBSESSED with turtles so this is a must for us. I have read a lot of threads on this excursion (various cruise lines - I assume they are mostly all the same) but I still have a couple of questions for any of you who have experienced the sea turtle snorkel at Akumal Bay...

1. I hear the ferry ride can be pretty rough. We are going beginning of Feb. and my DD does get seasick... Anyone have experience with this? How bad is it?

2. The excursion lists a restriction of max weight 250 Lbs... My DH is 6'2" and around 260 Lbs... Anyone know why this restriction? Will he be denied participation if he can't lose 10+ lbs by February ;)

Thanks!

We will be sailing on the Allure in February and we are looking at the Cenotes and Turtle Cove excursion. My 19 y/o DD is OBSESSED with turtles so this is a must for us. I have read a lot of threads on this excursion (various cruise lines - I assume they are mostly all the same) but I still have a couple of questions for any of you who have experienced the sea turtle snorkel at Akumal Bay...

1. I hear the ferry ride can be pretty rough. We are going beginning of Feb. and my DD does get seasick... Anyone have experience with this? How bad is it?

2. The excursion lists a restriction of max weight 250 Lbs... My DH is 6'2" and around 260 Lbs... Anyone know why this restriction? Will he be denied participation if he can't lose 10+ lbs by February ;)

Thanks!

Weight restriction sometimes are due to the lifejackets they use.

Part of the weight restriction could also be the cenote that you are going to swim in. Some of the underground cenotes have some tight squeezes. My husband is 6'4 and 350 lbs. We have never had an issue and I've yet to see a scale at a snorkel site.

Zip-lining is a whole different ball game. I'm sure your husband will be fine.

For the ferry. Do not go down below deck. When one person starts getting sick it tends to set off a chain reaction and the last place you want to be stuck is below deck in a ship cabin when it starts hitting the floor and it will start hitting the floor. Even if it's windy cold or raining stay up top in the fresh air, it will help with the sea sick feeling and she can get away from anyone that isn't feeling well. If she starts getting sick she can take her bag and move to a more private spot where she can get a bit more air.

I have yet to get sea sick but I get horribly car sick, you couldn't pay me to sail below deck on one of the ferries. We've sailed a couple that weren't rough and people still got sick on them, I learned fast to find a spot on the top side even if I had to stand propped against the wall for the trip. I do wear seabands even on short ferry rides.