Sun/diferences in an AD and an AF suite?

luv2cruise123

The AF suite I was "eyeing" was one of the seemingly popular aft balconies. I know the AD is larger and has a larger balcony, but it is located on deck 9 right in the very front of the ship. Is there any advantage to this location verus the aft balcony?

If The AD upgrade (deck 8) was twice as much as the AF upgrade - which would YOU take? The AD sq ft in the cabin itself is 355 sq ft versus 229 sq ft in the AF on deck 9.

We are not real big balcony folks nor do I foresee using a butler that much that would be avilable with the AF, but not the AD.

Give me some opinions quick as I sail soon! I would love to hear form someone who has sailed in both categories on the Sun!

I can't help really as I dont' know except that I LOVE the Aft part of the ship - I really feel a lot more motion in the front of the ship. I'd take the aft personally as we have had windows on the aft over the wheel wash on older ships and they are our favorite view! Sorry - but I don't like the front and if I hit high waves I really wouldnt' want the front - just me.... :) I do like the front pulling into and out of port - that is the best! But not for more money - besides I could be wrong but I think the aft are harder to get usually aren't they??? Have fun no matter what - both will be beautiful! Debbie

I, too am leaning toward the aft balcony even though the larger sq ft in the room appeals to me. I have never had aft balcony (or the real forward one either), but am anxious to try one since I've heard so much about them.

Any other opinions - is it worth twice as much to upgrade to the forward and larger mini suite?

Oh and a p.s., I'm a Debbie also!

We are not real big balcony folks nor do I foresee using a butler that much that would be avilable with the AF, but not the AD.

Give me some opinions quick as I sail soon! I would love to hear form someone who has sailed in both categories on the Sun!

I have sailed in the AD (8002) and am booked in one of the aft AEs (0067) for Alaska.

You can see some photos of the AD (click on the photos link in my signature). We are very excited about our aft AE. I'm not sure whether we would switch if we are offered an upsell to another AD. Depending upon where you'll be cruising, the forward balconies are quite windy when underway, whereas the aft balconies would be more protected.

The butler comes with the AD, but not the AE or AF. We certainly enjoyed our full breakfasts in the suite (and on the balcony) that our butler delivered each morning.

Adele

We've stayed in both the AF forward and aft mini-suites on the Sun. The aft mini-suites are laid out much better (more square) than the long, narrow ones forward.

The aft one had more cabinet space, too, to hold bar glasses and such.

So, I preferred the room layout of the aft, but I'm not an aft view fan. Quirky, I guess.

It was half the money and I'd seemed to hear more about them than the forward rooms. I'll be happy with that. I would love to just peek in and see the forward ones though for future reference.

What is the earliest people are being allowed to board the Sun? If I am a latitudes member and in a mini suite, will I get preferential boarding?

Luv2Cruise (Debbie) :D

I too have certain cabins I would LOVE to see inside. One is the BE balcony on the back side of ship - last one before aft - it looks like it has a double balcony that comes around the corner a little..

I would love to see in the forward regular balcony cabins as I see some open next year and when we went and looked at the ship a few weeks ago they looked interesting. I will know more about the aft balconies in Dec. or NEXT MONTH I can now say - one more month!!!! :eek:

Also would love to see the back veranda suites and the mini suites and see the differences for myself to see if they would be worth the extra money than the regular back aft balcony cabin we will have. On the RCL Rhapsody in 2002 I met a cruise critic board member that happen to be on the cruise and we went up and had a drink in her aft veranda suite before the life boat drill. Very nice family and wonder if they are on the board still - I was on another board at the time. They were from OK and moved to Arkansas after the cruise I know. Do you know anyone on here from Arkansas???

Cant wait! Debbie

Mekamax, here's a link posted earlier this year by Mandygirl (posts 4 and 5), who had an aft mini-suite. In her review, she has a couple of links at the bottom that apply to that cruise. The "6/05" (be sure to click on the date) link contains great pictures of the aft mini-suite. It is what prompted us to choose an aft for next year.

I read the reveiw AND looked at the pictures! both were great! I could only hope my balcony is big enough... After looking at suite pictures it makes it hard. We are in 8078 one floor down from them and one over to the right. BUT as this is our first balcony in 9 years I'm am SOOOOOOO excited! :D Debbie

I went with the aft 9078 and we sail this Sunday! The link to the pictures was great! Mandy wrote a fabulous review for Alaska cruisers as well! Wish I'd seen her post before our Celebrity June cruise on the Mercury. We did /used a lot of the same links/excursions she suggested also on that cruise. I'm so glad I went with this stateroom going by the pics. Room looks great /large enough! she was in 9278 and siad one next to hers was identcial so that really helps me out as far as getting a "feel" for the mini suite.

So, do all the minisuite categories like this get the concierge services and get priority check in. This will be my first sailing on NCL in a suite. - mini at that, but I'm assumming it still gets all the perks less the butler service?

Debbie, no the only cruise folks I know were from Little Rock, AR that we met last Thanksgving on Celebrity Galaxy.

Debbie: Concierge, yes. I don't know how they're handling check-in in Houston (as far as priority boarding). It seems each port is set up a little differently. You'll be in the mini directly below the one we've booked. Please take some photos of it and the view off the deck. And have fun in it.

Adele

Archived