Update from Carnival...why is this taking so long???

wildshooter

Here is the latest update from Carnival today on itinerary changes. This update is no different from this morning or even yesterday or Friday for that matter. All I want to know is where we're going on Imagination this Thursday. I just called Carnival and they told me I might not find out until after I board! How can anyone expect to plan?? I understand what they have gone thru, but to me it seems like they are not announcing changes for fear that people will cancel. If they wait long enough, people can't or won't cancel. Anyways, here is the update....

Itinerary Update – October 31, 2005 4:00 PM

Due to the impact from Hurricane Wilma in Cozumel, we will make the following itinerary changes:

Elation October 27 from Galveston - This cruise will visit Progreso (Sat.)

Inspiration October 29 from Tampa - This cruise will visit Grand Cayman (Mon.) and Costa Maya (Tue.)

Carnival Miracle October 30 from Tampa - This cruise will visit Grand Cayman (Tue.), Costa Maya (Wed.) and Belize (Thur.)

UPDATE - Carnival Conquest October 30 from Galveston - The scheduled call in Cozumel will be replaced by a visit to Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Carnival Valor October 30 from Miami - The scheduled call in Cozumel will be replaced with Costa Maya

UPDATE - Fascination October 31 from Miami - This cruise will visit Key West (Tue.) and Playa del Carmen, Mexico (Wed.)

Elation October 31 from Galveston - This cruise will visit Progreso (Wed.) and Veracruz (Thur.)

We will announce the required itinerary changes for departures from November 3 to November 7, 2005 by Wednesday, November 2, 2005.

I too beleive that Carnival is taking too long to post changes. They should know before people get on the ship where they will be heading. I am sure that they are not posting to far in advance to avoid lots of cancellations like you said...

Maybe the information they are getting from Cozumel is day to day......Carnival has to listen to what the ports say.........and with all the damage to Cozumel, the assessments must change daily (remember NO and Katrina?) Give Carnival (and all the other cruise lines) a break! They are doing the best they can in a situation where they are at the Mercy of the ports. If the port doesn't open - you can't go! And if the port is being vague on when they will reopen, so Carnival (and all the other cruise lines) must be "vague" too.

Hello, just had to post that we sailed on the Star Princess on 10/16-10/23. We were supposed to be going to the Western Caribbean and ended up doing the Eastern, because of Wilma. We did not know until we were on board, as the hurricane changed daily. The ship will go where it is safe, and you will have a great time no matter where you go!!

Maybe the information they are getting from Cozumel is day to day......Carnival has to listen to what the ports say.........and with all the damage to Cozumel, the assessments must change daily (remember NO and Katrina?) Give Carnival (and all the other cruise lines) a break! They are doing the best they can in a situation where they are at the Mercy of the ports. If the port doesn't open - you can't go! And if the port is being vague on when they will reopen, so Carnival (and all the other cruise lines) must be "vague" too.

I really don't think Carnival needs a "break" at all. They were able to reroute ships WHILE Wilma was going on. It appears they will now go to Cozumel (from Nov 14) and operate as a "tender port". If I wanted two tender ports (one is bad enough), I would have signed up for one that had that "feature". Weather happens, but same with last year, Grand Cayman was a wreck after Ivan and we went there anyway. "VISIT OUR DISASTER ZONE CRUISE". I know the local economies of port hit by hurricanes do need the economic boost. "TAKE OUR CRUISING FOR ALTRUISM SPECIAL". They are making these decisons for the sake of their corporate "bottom line". The Caribbean is full of ports and the ships cruise at over 20 knots. If its Cozumel then it is Cozumel or wherever they want to take us, but no they are not doing "the best they can" for the clientele.

I agree, Carnival is letting a lot of people up in the air. Disney has already rescheduled their November cruises up to the 19th . I book cruises with the ports in mind, know others don't, but to us the ports are important. I booked the Glory because at the time there were 4 ports of call. Shortly after booking Progresso was dropped, some say not a nice port, but we like to experience on our own. Now we have a paid excursion, bonus from TA for Cozumel, and if Cozumel is dropped I would like to reschedule for another port. If there is time I think this can be done according to the tickets I was sent 3 days before the hurricane struck Cozumel. I know it is a "free" excursion, but I still would like to make use of it, maybe the beach is gone at Cozumel anyway, but the web site says it will open on the 14th as well. I really don't want to get on the ship to find out where I am going. I will not cancel this trip no matter where we go because of work schedule and air tickets, but I really want to know where we will be going on 12/3.

I agree, Carnival is letting a lot of people up in the air. Disney has already rescheduled their November cruises up to the 19th

How many ships does Disney have? Taking a look at all the other boards, none of the major players have made any announcements for this week. I can just imagine how frustrating it can be not knowing where you will be going.

It's very frustrating. We're leaving on the Conquest this Sunday. The Conquest sailing on the 30th was switched from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. I called Carnival to see if that would be the same for us and was told that yes we would be going to Playa and she even gave me the hours we'd be in port. Another person called Carnival and was told the decision for the Conquest 11/06/05 had not been made yet. Yesterday it's posted on Carnival website that the itinerary changes will be posted by Wednesday. I just want to be able to do research on the port and book an excursion. I also believe that if Carnival is able to make quick port changes while at sea in a hurricane, what's taking so long now that we're not in the middle of a hurricane??

Wow, are people demanding! I live in Florida and I can tell you based on the 11 o'clck news last night that there still are about a million people on the East coast without power due to the hurricane. The West coast is nearly restored. Can you imagine the problems they are having in Mexico with much more limited resources to do all that is required for recovery? Get a life! I am not one to defend the Corporate world but in this case I can understand why it may be just a bit difficult to spell out exact itineraries and timing. I know you may have your heart set on a cruise but come on! Get real and less selfish. I know this will trigger all kinds of nasty replies but it needed to be said.

We are sailing this weekend. Cozumel is not a factor since it will not accept ships until the 14th, which we will be home by then. Carnival should be able to make a decision now for ships sailing this week. I guess they sell more shore excursions if we don't know where we are going to be able to book with other vendors. Hmmmm.......

This will be our family's first cruise. We had planned on sitting down with our kids a week or so ago and deciding which excursions to do in which port and booking them (either through Carnival or independent operators). Now, we aren't sure if we'll go to Cozumel and, if we do, what excursions will be available. We've decided that "we don't care". We want a vacation. A vacation is what we'll get. We'll have a great time even if we end up sitting on the ship the entire 7 days. If we don't get to do the excursion we want in Cozumel, I guess we'll just have to book another cruise really, really soon. Boo-hoo. <dabbing at left eye with tissue> If anyone on Victory for Dec. 18 sailing decides to cancel due to the inconveniences, and if you have a balcony room or the penthouse suite, please tell Carnival to give us your room. We are going even if one of us (or all of us) are in body bags.

I'm right there with you Rich. ;)

Why is it so baffling to people the logistics of a cruise port closing without notice and trying to re-port ships into places where other cruiselines are also going, or into other ports which can't support larger ships or more than a few ships at a time?

Yeah Disney did it. They have a whole 2 ships that are no bigger then a Fantasy class Carnival ship.

If you really can't stand waiting to find out where you're going, and you don't want to cruise if you end up at a place you didn't get to plan for or to research, maybe you need a vacation from your vacation planning. :D

They are deciding from day to day. My TA has been in constant contact with Carnival and yesterdays update was we are going to Key West and still have no clue about the other stop. Carnival said they will not decide for another two weeks. They have to just wait and see if we can dock in Cozumel and how repairs are going. I cannot blame them for not wanting to take us someplace that is destroyed - however they need our tourist dollars to help rebuild. It is a toss up. I think most of us know that any time you book a cruise there can always be changes and we just have to roll with it.

Wow, are people demanding! I live in Florida and I can tell you based on the 11 o'clck news last night that there still are about a million people on the East coast without power due to the hurricane. The West coast is nearly restored. Can you imagine the problems they are having in Mexico with much more limited resources to do all that is required for recovery? Get a life! I am not one to defend the Corporate world but in this case I can understand why it may be just a bit difficult to spell out exact itineraries and timing. I know you may have your heart set on a cruise but come on! Get real and less selfish. I know this will trigger all kinds of nasty replies but it needed to be said.

You can't be serious! Let me guess...you work for Carnival, right? I thought so. If so, maybe you can call me and tell me where my cruise is going that I paid for 3 months ago.

wildshooter - Please tell me you are kidding! You really cannot be serious about your comment. You are not the only one who has book a cruise early - I booked a year ago and paid in full a year ago. There are so many more people affected by the weather than just you and your family for a cruise. Blast me if you want - but you are out of your tree!!!!

richfret,

No nasty replies from me just a realistic one. first of all it is not my heart that is set on a cruise it is my money and my tired bones from getting up everyday and going to workit is my VACATION. I chose my cruise to specifically go to 4 ports. Please do not tell us to "get a life" I have one and I have enough of a corporate business background to know that this is a business manuever not a question of securing ports; the longer they wait the less chance people will cancel. This is not about the limited resources in Mexico, it is about Carnival trying to keep their loses to a minimum.

I'm right there with you Rich. ;)

Why is it so baffling to people the logistics of a cruise port closing without notice and trying to re-port ships into places where other cruiselines are also going, or into other ports which can't support larger ships or more than a few ships at a time?

Yeah Disney did it. They have a whole 2 ships that are no bigger then a Fantasy class Carnival ship.

If you really can't stand waiting to find out where you're going, and you don't want to cruise if you end up at a place you didn't get to plan for or to research, maybe you need a vacation from your vacation planning. :D

There is even more to it then that Mike, not only do they need to find a place to park that 1000 ft long cruise ship, they also have to make sure there is something for the 3000 people aboard the ship to do.

On our Glory cruise last year we were forced to make a port switch to Freeport last minute. Because of the stop was unscheduled all the good excursions were already booked full by the regularly scheduled ships. Our pickings were pretty slim.

richfret,

No nasty replies from me just a realistic one. first of all it is not my heart that is set on a cruise it is my money and my tired bones from getting up everyday and going to workit is my VACATION. I chose my cruise to specifically go to 4 ports. Please do not tell us to "get a life" I have one and I have enough of a corporate business background to know that this is a business manuever not a question of securing ports; the longer they wait the less chance people will cancel. This is not about the limited resources in Mexico, it is about Carnival trying to keep their loses to a minimum.

Again, its not just Carnival. None of the other cruiselines that have multiple ships sailing to Coz have made any annoucements. Coz get 1600 ships a year, its not as easy as everyone thinks, to just move ships around.

Its never a good idea to book a cruise based on ports, anything can happen.

I never said it was just Carnival I said it was "business". I booked the Miracle to have 4 ports, where they are is not important to me, we have been to all of them anyway we just felt like this time we wanted 4 ports. If I get 3 ports then so be it, but I leave New York in 3 days and I would like to know where I am going. I would bet you the price of my cruise (and we are in a suite) that Carnival knows. If they post it late tomorrow the 2nd of November and people like me are leaving Friday, how many of us do you think will take a full refund? I would then have to voucher my airfare and take my vacation another time. If they gave us a weeks notice I might have made other plans. It almost frightens me that alot of you buy into the story that they can't figure it out yet. We are 5 days from sailing and the weather is fine. I know I am not going to Cozumel, I just want to know where I am going.

wildshooter - Please tell me you are kidding! You really cannot be serious about your comment. You are not the only one who has book a cruise early - I booked a year ago and paid in full a year ago. There are so many more people affected by the weather than just you and your family for a cruise. Blast me if you want - but you are out of your tree!!!!

Who said I lived in a tree? Seriously, I don't get that one. :confused:

No, I'm not kidding. Rich's comment about getting a life simply because I'd like to know where I'm going on my cruise that I paid for does not mean I need a life. It means I'd like to not be given the run around. Each time I call Carnival(once a day since last Friday as I was told to do originally by them), I get a different answer. Each time. This bothers me since all I want is some form of customer service. Is that realistic to ask? Is it realistic to ask the dept. in Colorado that they not hang up on me and tell me to "get over it" when I ask them why they give me a different answer each time I call??? Rich's post implies that because of the hurricanes and everyone who is affected by them, somehow then I'm not entitled to ANY customer service what so ever? Is that fair to say?

If people here don't think that Carnival is withholding information simply to limit the # of cancellations, then you need to get a clue on how business works.

I never said it was just Carnival I said it was "business". I booked the Miracle to have 4 ports, where they are is not important to me, we have been to all of them anyway we just felt like this time we wanted 4 ports. If I get 3 ports then so be it, but I leave New York in 3 days and I would like to know where I am going. I would bet you the price of my cruise (and we are in a suite) that Carnival knows. If they post it late tomorrow the 2nd of November and people like me are leaving Friday, how many of us do you think will take a full refund? I would then have to voucher my airfare and take my vacation another time. If they gave us a weeks notice I might have made other plans. It almost frightens me that alot of you buy into the story that they can't figure it out yet. We are 5 days from sailing and the weather is fine. I know I am not going to Cozumel, I just want to know where I am going.

I couldn't have said it better. However, many people here feel that because so many people were tragically affected by the hurricanes, that we should just sit back and not want to know anything about what we paid for. I feel bad for everyone who was impacted, but I just don't see how that should change my desire to want information.

I booked the Miracle to have 4 ports, where they are is not important to me, we have been to all of them anyway we just felt like this time we wanted 4 ports. If I get 3 ports then so be it, but I leave New York in 3 days and I would like to know where I am going. I would bet you the price of my cruise (and we are in a suite) that Carnival knows. If they post it late tomorrow the 2nd of November and people like me are leaving Friday, how many of us do you think will take a full refund? I would then have to voucher my airfare and take my vacation another time. If they gave us a weeks notice I might have made other plans. It almost frightens me that alot of you buy into the story that they can't figure it out yet. We are 5 days from sailing and the weather is fine. I know I am not going to Cozumel, I just want to know where I am going.
Now I'm confused. :confused:

If you just want 4 ports and you don't care where they are, then why care how soon you find out? And if you end up with a port, that you said you didn't care where anyway, that would cause you to cancel, shouldn't you have just cancelled last week when Coz was struck?

Why would Carnival start handing out full refunds because they are changing ports? It not like they are cancelling or shortening the cruise.

Its never a good idea to book a cruise based on ports, anything can happen.
Nor is it a good idea to book a cruise for hurricane season. :rolleyes:

And I'm really not interested in the excuse, "It's the only time that I can go." Choose a different form of vacation if you're not willing to assume the risk.

Archived