Engine level on Rivera deck

We book an inside, midship room on the lowest passenger deck and have not experienced any excessive engine noise on the two cruises we've been on. We book in the center because we have two people that get seasick easily.

Ships do not have engines, they have electric motors which are powered by deisel generators. The generators are typically just under the Whale tale so you would not hear them. The motors are very quiet, most problems are when a prop or drive shaft is misalligned or damaged. I've always found the riviera to be quiet.

About five years or so ago, I was on the Ecstasy main deck port side amidships, and there was a very noticeable propulsion noise problem. Didn't know if it was an engine, shaft, or prop problem, but could tell when the Captain was whipping the squirrels into a frenzy (pouring on the throttle).

Curiosuly, this particular problem was being mentioned on the bulletin boards. So this ship, at this time, had a reputation. Might want to ask arouund about your specific ship and deck area.;)

We were on the main deck, aft and I don't know if it was engines, motors or what but the only time we heard anything was when we were docking. Unfortunately both times it was around 4:30am and it lasted a while ( 1/2 hour to an hour), I don't know if it was the things that make the boat go sideways so it slides into its spot or what.. but it was pretty loud. I really wouldn't want to be in the lower aft again but it didn't destroy our trip by any means.

We were on the main deck, aft and I don't know if it was engines, motors or what but the only time we heard anything was when we were docking. Unfortunately both times it was around 4:30am and it lasted a while ( 1/2 hour to an hour), I don't know if it was the things that make the boat go sideways so it slides into its spot or what.. but it was pretty loud. I really wouldn't want to be in the lower aft again but it didn't destroy our trip by any means.

Thrusters...yeah they will get ya out of bed :)

Archived