Anthem 8266- will scooter fit?

Karen S.

Thanks for all your replies. We have decided to rent a scooter to be delivered onboard to our room. Hopefully it will go smoothly. If we can get a foldable one that will be great but I don't know if that is a choice.

Have used scooters in regular rooms. It is very tight as others have mentioned, especially if the bed is close to door. One time the scooter rep. left the scooter beyond the bed and I could not get it out on my own. Great steward finally pushed it through. I bring a chock for the door and a 6 foot extension cord as the charger cord will not extend to the outlets on the desk. There is a floor plug but I cannot use it easily. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for all your replies. We have decided to rent a scooter to be delivered onboard to our room. Hopefully it will go smoothly. If we can get a foldable one that will be great but I don't know if that is a choice.

Being that the rented scooter is being delivered to your room , the provider you choose is either http://www.CareVacations.com or http://www.SpecialNeedsatSeas, neither of which offers a foldable scooter option. If the end users weight is less than 325# the scooter delivered to your cabin will be either the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler HD or the Pride GoGo Sport both of which can be manually disassembled but are most definitely not foldable. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark in this link to see how the scooter can be disassembled

Being that the rented scooter is being delivered to your room , the provider you choose is either http://www.CareVacations.com or http://www.SpecialNeedsatSeas, neither of which offers a foldable scooter option. If the end users weight is less than 325# the scooter delivered to your cabin will be either the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler HD or the Pride GoGo Sport both of which can be manually disassembled but are most definitely not foldable. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark in this link to see how the scooter can be disassembled

That is great info and hopefully we will be able to do that. Thank you for taking the time to post it,

Karen

• 5 months later...
Also make sure they put you in a waitlist for the handicap room. We did this on our last cruise for Anthem and one of the parties that was in a handicap room the handicap person was a no show so the pier switched our room and theirs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do realize the OP sailed last October.

Because of mobility issues, I require the use of a scooter. For our Dec 2016 cruise we are booked in an accessible balcony. For our April 2017 cruise an accessible was not available when we booked so we are wait listed for either an accessible or a Junior Suite. The Junior suites have a wider doorway as well as much larger inside for turning etc.

Several years ago, prior to her knee replacement, my mother needed a scooter when traveling on the Navigator of the Seas. She found a local (to the port) company that rented them and had foldable models. I believe they were somewhat more pricey than the traditional scooters, but worked very well for her. My dad could fold it up and it would fit in their balcony stateroom. For reference purposes, my mom was over 200lbs and felt very secure in her scooter.

Might be worth looking online to see if you can find a similar service. :)

When folded, do you know if it fit under the bed?

Have used scooters in regular rooms. It is very tight as others have mentioned, especially if the bed is close to door. One time the scooter rep. left the scooter beyond the bed and I could not get it out on my own. Great steward finally pushed it through. I bring a chock for the door and a 6 foot extension cord as the charger cord will not extend to the outlets on the desk. There is a floor plug but I cannot use it easily. Hope this is helpful.

Cruise lines highly frown upon people using their own extension cords. They will provide you with one, free of cost. There is a form to file for this accommodation. You can find it on Royal's website. They'll have it waiting in your cabin.

The doorway is 23" wide from door frame to door frame. 2" than must be deducted for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to the wall leaving only 21" for the total threshold clearance. The scooter must be less than 21" in width to fit through the doorway.

It's also important to night that the scooter cannot be stored in the hallway regardless of what the cabin steward may tell you. It's a violation of SOLAS (Safety of Life at Seas) to store a scooter in the hallway as it impedes the safety of ALL passenger. I do use a scooter for cruising and though I'm sympathetic to your husband's circumstance I do report all scooters stored in the hallway's to security. If security does not remove it promptly I go up the ranks to the Captain if required.

According to the RCI website, there are specific scooter, wheel chair, and stroller parking areas on the ship. However, I did have one thought when I read their information. How does a person that needs a scooter go to and from the parking area without it. Also, how close are these parking areas to your specific cabin. But it is worth looking into.