Carnival Photographers...love or hate..

Jabee

The one thing on my cruise that was a bit of a surprise to me, was the number of photographers.

I got a bit angry, when I found out the pictures cose $20 each, and decided they were not worth it. But, they still kept taking my picture, and when I started telling them no, they started getty pesky back, demanding I get it taken anyway.

And then....every where you try to go, there is a photog. Trying to go down steps, and they are taking pics on the bottom step. Leaving the dining room, and they have a dancing girl at the door. While trying to eat, they come by your table. At one point they were even in front of the elevators.

I loved my cruise, but, I firmly believe if they only took the picutures of people who wanted pictures taken, maybe they could reduce the price to something people could afford.

Anybody else find this frustrating?

I've never been bothered by the photographers. We have a wonderful shot of our youngest with Funship Freddy in Jamaica that is well worth the price, as well as a shot with our waiters in the dining room the last night, captioned "I survived the hurricane...Dennis." If the picture comes out nice, that's great; if it doesn't (and DH has had occasion to say "over my dead body"), there's no obligation to buy.

We've never found the photographers to be pesky at all. They stop by our table maybe ONE time during the week while we're having dinner, and we almost always buy those photos. We don't buy the embarkation or port stop photos, but we generally have them take 8 or so portraits at the stations with the backdrops, and we buy the ones we like best. I used to think $20 for a 8x10 was expensive, but it's really NOT - you can take as many as you like, in as many locations as you like, and you only buy what you want. We pick the best portrait of the kids, buy it for $20, then have 5x7 copies made at home for a buck or so a piece - makes a really inexpensive way to send a nice photo out with our holiday cards. I've never felt harrassed or bothered by the photographers. We look forward to having a nive family portrait done next month on the Conquest.

I love it. Last fall we had family photos taken by an expensive local photographer and didn't love any of the photos. I am already coordinating our outfits for our photos on our December cruise. No sitting fees...we are so there!

The photos from last time were so nice that I can't wait to do it again. My 3 year-old boy (at the time) and I were on our way to pick up his sister from Camp Carnival at about 10 p.m. and we passed a photographer. I had stopped and had one taken of just him and it hangs in my bedroom now, 5 years later. It is one of my all-time favorites.

Photographers standing in front of elevators, at the bottom of stairways, at the gangway in port, these are annoying aspects of them. They hinder traffic, and can still get to ask people by stepping back a couple of feet out of the way, but then they wouldn't be able to hit on everyone as they walk down the gangway. We did buy a picture set on our first HAL weeklong cruise, but our Carnival cruises the photos were presented so poorly, and the area was overstocked so we didn't buy any.

Jim

I enjoy the photo ops. I always buy the embarkation picture---I use it as the first page in our vacation scrapbook. I also like to get a family formal portrait. We go to all the stations and, for some reason, the picture we don't think will turn out (because of the weird backdrop or pose) turns out to be our favorite! We also like to get a formal picture of our two boys. These pictures go right up on our wall as soon as we get home. At a local photographer, we would have to pay for sitting fees and there would be limited backdrops, so, for us, it's actually cheaper than at home. The reprints aren't that expensive either ($10 for 2 5X7's and $10 for 12 wallets).

It's true that finding your pictures is sometimes a hassle, but I just try to go when it's not too busy.

A side note..........my older son recently had senior portraits taken. $55 for an 8X10, $55 for 2 5X7's (16 wallets for "free"), $30 sitting fee! Good thing I have a small family!;)

I have never found the photographers to be intrusive. I have a wall of wonderful photos taken on our various cruises. Just the 2 of us, and some with all the kids.

I get many commments a day from my patients about how wonderful our family looks in the cruise photo hanging in my office.

We have them taken at every opportunity, as some backgrounds, and some photographers are better than others. And I get to make the choice to purchace or not, nobody pressures me at any time.

Terri loves them and will usually buy one or two. I hate it but do it because ... well just because.

I found a little humor this time. The embarkation photos were taken with the wrong date on the arch as noticed when I looked back. All photos had retouched dates. If you sailed on the Oct. 22 Celebration cruise, check your photo.

Why would you "let" this bother you. If I'm not in the mood, or not dressed for a picture, I simply say no thank you and keep on walking. No need for me to say it a second time. They want to keep talking? Go ahead. I've made my intentions known.

Meanwhile, when we are dressed, we do get in every line, take a myriad of pics, and some come out great. We buy them. No one removes the money from my pocket. And that's only if I choose to look at all the pics out there, what are sometimes amusing in itself. :eek:

I have taken pictures of the photographers taking pictures - they think it's pretty funny when you try and get their picture!! (Hey, I am a scrapbooker - makes for an interesting page...)

We have a cruise corner of framed pictures from our cruises as well. I love the "free" oppty to bet a bunch taken and if you like 'em, even better! It is cheaper than going to a studio to have a family/couple portrait done once you figure in the sitting fees etc! Plus you're all relaxed and happy and sun-kissed. I love the cruise photos.

If you don't want your picture taken, just tell them "No Thank You" and keep walking!

I Like Having The Chance To Have As Many Pictures Taken As I Want To. Then You Can Choose Which Picture Looks The Best.

I Think The $20.00 For A Formal Picture Can't Be Beat. I Think They Should Offer Other Options Of Picture Sizes. Last Year We Took Our 16 Year Old Twins. They Didn't Take A Picture That I Didn't Just Love. I Really Didn't Need 20 Or So 8 X 10's. They Wouldn't Allow Us To Buy Smaller Pictures Without Buying The 8x10. I Would Have Purchased Some Of All Of Them If I Were Albe To Buy Some Smaller Ones. I Ended Up Only Buying 1-8x10 Of The Girls And 1-8x10 Of The Family. They Would Have Made A Lot More Money From Me If The Options Were Available.

Perhaps Carnival Would See My Point........

With Options Comes Satisfaction.......(and Lots Of Money)

We did not find them "pesky" but I was annoyed at my husband who felt he had to buy every one that was taken.......almost $200 later......we have a book of photos. I was not a happy camper, but I did change my tune when I went to have my film developed and 7 out of 10 rolls did not develop. totally white pics came out with blank negatives. I was really glad to have these ship photos now ! ! ! ! ! !

If anyone has duplicates from the Celebration August 27th sailing, or pics of KeyWet and Nassau that they would not mind sharing let me know.

dondonma

The posed pics in front of the various backdrops are completely voluntary. I've never seen any of the photographers soliciting there.

The port of call gangway pics are problematic. If I don't want to stop for a pic, I keep walking. And who wouldn't want to stop for a pic with the showgirl leaving the dining room? :rolleyes:

It is definitely all in the photographer, I think, as to whether or not they come across as annoying. Although sometimes it ends up for the better.

On our Destiny cruise, we were sitting at dinner, the bread had been served and here comes the photo-girl (she had hit us 2 or 3 times that week already, so she got a nickname). She starts snapping pics of everyone individually and when she gets to my BIL he is so engrossed with his wonderful bread that he merely looks up to see what the heck is going on and *snap* and away she goes. The pick the next day was priceless and yes we have one. BIL with his mouth stuffed with bread mid-bite.

So sometimes possibly annoying, but sometimes worthwhile.

I'm looking forward to it. My wife and I have only had two portraits made of us in ten years...one when we got engaged and one last year. I figure I'll have as many pictures taken as possible and then buy one or more if we like them.

DH30, be sure to look for photo opportunities too. On one of our cruises I had DD with me and as we rounded the corner and there was a backdrop setup and no one was around. The photographer took 4 or 5 pics of DD in different poses and we ended up getting 2 or 3 because they were so different and came out awesome.

Our ultimate Carnival photographer "experience" happened when cave tubing in Belize. We were floating down the river, enjoying the fact that we were in an actual rainforest, when we came around a corner and there was the photographer...standing in the middle of the river taking photos. Yikes.

Still, he was a nice guy - we chatted with him on the bus ride back, and he really seemed to like his job.

And while we did end up dropping close to $50 on official portraits while on board, we didn't buy the "pasty white guy from Iowa jammed into an inner tube" picture... :)

Our ultimate Carnival photographer "experience" happened when cave tubing in Belize. We were floating down the river, enjoying the fact that we were in an actual rainforest, when we came around a corner and there was the photographer...standing in the middle of the river taking photos. Yikes.

Still, he was a nice guy - we chatted with him on the bus ride back, and he really seemed to like his job.

And while we did end up dropping close to $50 on official portraits while on board, we didn't buy the "pasty white guy from Iowa jammed into an inner tube" picture... :)

I had the exact same experience! Unfortunately, my DSIL purchased my "portrait" for me. :mad: I laugh everytime I look at it - soaking wet with a miner's light strapped to my head.

I loved getting our picture taken at the various backdrops - I just wish my DH would have cooperated more often. To be honest, I was prepared to be annoyed by these guys, but I actually found them to be amusing (especially the "authentic" Jamacian we posed with when we got off the ship at Ocho Rios). I wound up buying more than I thought I would mostly because these were the best photos of our whole group. The best was the female photographer from Croatia that referred to every female as "lady", as in "Good morning lady" "Thank you lady" "Turn you head lady" - she had such a cute accent that we just like to stand nearby and listen to her talk to her groups!

Archived