The Things I've Seen on River Voyager, Buda to Bucharest

ural guy

My wife and I boarded Vantage's River Voyager less then 48 hours ago, and since then I've seen: jeans in the main dining room for dinner, along with short's (with a high temp of 65 that day) and a gentlemen coming down to get his morning coffee in his robe and slippers. We were concerned that you had to 'dress' every evening for dinner (no jeans, more business casual).

The ship is very nice, as is the crew. We've only been on Viking so that is my basis for comparison. We're in a French Balcony this cruise (165 sq ft), aquarium class (150 sq ft) on Viking. The Vantage cabin wins hands down; it feels much larger, has great storage, and the bathroom layout is better. On Viking, the shower was tiny and it was tricky to get the door to seal so water wouldn't pool on the bathroom floor. Vantage does not have that problem, and has a nice roomy shower. Under the Vantage sink is 2 large drawers for toiletries, Viking had very little space. The Viking heated floor was nice, Vantage doesn't have that.

In the room the one wall is all storage, 2 narrow closet to hang things, big enough for about 10 hangers of clothes; 3 wide, deep drawers and a couple of shelves above that. The audiovox plugs in there so it's not taking up space on the small counter in front of the TV. There is also a small 2 drawer nightstand on either side of the bed. Above the bed are 2 nice reading lights.

It was a little tricky communicating with the cabin steward how I wanted the bed made up. I left a note asking for 'American style', which I thought would get me a sheet and duvet. Instead I just got a sheet. After talking to him, I think we have it straightened out. My wife was disappointed as she wanted a certain pillow off their 'pillow menu', but her choice wasn't available. Understandable, they can't have a ton of space to have a 172 of every type of pillow.

I do like some of Viking's public spaces better. Viking had the little Library nook to sit in and relax. On Vantage it is either the lounge or the alternate dining area. The only problem being that the TV is always going to depressing news from Charlotte. I also loved the Aqavit lounge up front on Viking, they really have the seating area so far forward you feel you are sitting over the water, and I loved the rocking chairs. The Viking ship's engines also may have been a tad quieter.

Viking definitely filled your wine glasses more at dinner, and would top your glass off as you left the dining room (so full you had to be careful not to spill); on Vantage we were told no more free wine after dessert service started.

Budapest: We flew in 3 days early, stayed at a small hotel just around the corner from the Grand Market Hall. Then we got lucky, the River Voyager just a 5 minute luggage drag away.

We went on the Jewish District and Communist walking tours, both recommended. They were the free ones where you tip at the end. The first full day was a Tuk-Tuk tour which was a blast. The driver was passionate about Hungary, you could still hear his angst over all the land that Hungary lost after WW1. We ended that one on Castle Hill so we could visit the Hospital in the Cave. Also visited the Terror Museum.

If you have the opportunity, visit the Musical Fountain on Margarit Island for the night time show. @ 1930 and 2100 the fountain has a light and music show, where the water shoots out in time to the music.

Yesterday we skipped the Vantage tour and went out to Memento Park to see the old Soviet era statues. Very easy to get to. Take the #4 subway (there is a station next the the Market Hall) to the end station, then a bus. You can either take the 150 bus, or I think it was the 101B we wound up on, which was a more direct route. We took the 150 back and that wound through some interesting housing areas. Public transportation is clean, cheap, and not that hard to figure out. The Park is well worth visiting if you are interested in that dark era.

That's it for now. Kalosca is the plan for the day. Fellow passengers seem like a great crowd. Looking forward to a great trip!