Skagway Whale Cruise excursion

montereybob

Celebrity is offering an excursion while we dock in Skagway called the Whale and Marine Mammal Cruise. It is priced at $179. That seems very expensive for a whale watching tour. Is it worth this much money? I have been on whale watching tours in Hawaii for $79. What makes this excursion worth the high price?

Edited by montereybob

Celebrity is offering an excursion while we dock in Skagway called the Whale and Marine Mammal Cruise. It is priced at $179. That seems very expensive for a whale watching tour. Is it worth this much money? I have been on whale watching tours in Hawaii for $79. What makes this excursion worth the high price?

It's Alaska. The summer tourist and whale watch season is only 5 months long, and they need to make their money before the tourists and humpbacks fly (or swim) away. Even on a privately booked whale watching excursion you will not pay much less per person. I've never been on a whale watch in Skagway; I've only done whale watches in Icy Strait Point and Juneau. In fact, I never even knew there were whale watching companies in Skagway. But I looked, and sure enough, there is whale watching in Skagway, for only $110 per person. But, per this company anyway, it's limited to May and June only

http://skagwaywhales.com/

I recommend doing a whale watch in Juneau, if you are stopping there. Been with these folks three times.

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

The cruise lines work with Allen Marine for whale watches in Juneau. Larger boats, but very good service and quality.

http://allenmarinetours.com/

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom

I have cruised with Celebrity to Alaska quite a few times and have never seen this excursion listed --- wonder if it is a relatively new one. Have you asked on the Celebrity board if anyone has taken it?

Sorry, you are correct. The excursion I was looking at was in Icy Strait.

A private whale watching excursion in Icy Strait will run you about $160 per person. I have done a whale watch tour with Hoonah Travel Adventures. Glacier Wind and Misty Bay also come recommended. There are other companies; tripadvisor might be helpful.The main reason I book independent excursions in Alaska is for the small group size. There isn't that much difference in price between the cruise lines and the independents.

Have fun with the planning:)