DCL have switched from 6 page Navigator's to 2 page

Ex techie

We used the app on our summer Alaska cruise, there is defiantly a learning curve to it. I think part of the issue is trying to design 1 app that works for both Android and Apple.

The bigger issue going forward is the current version of Android (5.1 Lollipop) will auto disconnect from wifi without internet access unless the manufacture changes the settings. So, DCL will have more people not using the app because their phones will not stay connected. It was a giant PIA to stop all of my apps from trying to update so the free 50mb package would last a few days.

It is a known issue by the developers and the Connect at Sea people.

As long as the App is pulling realtime data from the server, the client side GUI can be tweaked for any given device fairly easily.

If it were such a problem, the thousands of popular apps out there wouldn't exist. I use an iPhone, DH uses an Android, and we both have at least 15 apps in common on our devices. CNN, Facebook, Twitter, half a dozen other news sites, finance apps, you name it.

A 2 page Navigator is fine with me. Their app has pretty much everything in it that I need to know. I haven't really touched a Navigator on our last two DCL cruises other than to pack them up as souvenirs. I'm already carrying my phone around anyway so easier to use the app then carry around extra paper. Plus the app is up to date with schedule changes through the day.

I emailed DCL to query this as disabled (visually) and therefore the app is really awkward unless I take my tablet with me (which I tend not to). I asked about accessible version of the app for phones and whether there was a way to request the detailed information as, like others have mentioned, sometimes just the name of the activity isn't enough for me to decide whether to go or not. With the paper version I carry a magnifier so I can easily read it but it doesn't work with a phone I have to keep zooming in and its just not very easy to read.

Anyway DCL came back to say this is just a trial so if anyone has an opinion I would share with DCL. Whether they listen or not I don't know and I would have appreciated an answer on whether an accessible app is going to be released but we shall see. Luckily I'm not cruising til next year so hopefully they will have either decided to stick with it (and have an alternative fingers crossed) or decided to change back to the old way.

Oh and I agree - I would class myself as a 36 year old who's tech savy and that app really is hard to navigate even if I had the vision to read it properly on a phone!

Does DCL have a special navigator for the visually impaired?

RCCL has one (what they call their cruise compass) they have a special very very very large print version for the visually impaired...

i took my mom to alaska on RCCL and they were absolutely amazingly good to her..

i notified them in advance that she's legally blind....

when we walked up to the check in desk, we were directed to the handicapped desk....since i had her in a wheelchair - not that she normally uses one, but it allowed us to get around more quickly in certain situations...she normally walks with a cane - not because she has a physical disability, but just to add to her stability issues that result from the low vision.... i bought the wheelchair just for the alaska trip....just in case....she didn't use it much, but every now and then....

anyway, the moment we began the check in process they saw the indication about her low vision..

they told us that someone would meet us on board to take her on a complete tour of the ship - to give her the lay of the land...

and that a low vision cruise compass would be waiting for her in the room and she would get one every day..

it's pretty amazing - super large print, on very very large sheets of paper...

i've never seen anything like it...

she couldn't use it as her vision is too far gone...

but a lot of people would be able to...

very impressive..

also, the moment we boarded, i went up to guest services to ask about reserving the front row for her in the theater, and they did...

it was reserved every night for the 4 of us....the front row...

amazing...

i didn't get any assistance at all from DCL when i took my mom on the disney dream....even when i begged them for help (both guest services and the concierge staff)....if she's not in the front row she can't see anything....but with the masses of people that wait to get into the theater and maneuvering her and my sister (who also needs help due to ovarian cancer)...there was absolutely no way for me to fight the crowds to get into the theater on the disney dream.....so we ended up several rows back where she can't see at all....so she stopped coming after the second night...it was too depressing for her to not be able to see at all...so in that sense, DCL was a major disappointment for me.....

getting back to RCCL, when we boarded, the officer found her right away - gave her a little gift (an RCCL lanyard for her keycard) - and took us on a tour of the ship...

and checked on her every day....

so say what you will about RCCL, but they were absolutely amazing with her..

oh...and they offered to have someone with her at dinner to read the menu to her....but i said it wasn't necessary as i was there for her..

but that's one of the other things they offer low vision passengers...

Edited by alaska_planner

Does DCL have a special navigator for the visually impaired?

RCCL has one (what they call their cruise compass) they have a special very very very large print version for the visually impaired...

On previous cruises they do a large print version of the schedule but not the main pages. This gives a bit but not everything (some things have very odd names) hence I always take the magnifier to use on the main pages to work out what things are. Its A3 size the one I got last time.

i notified them in advance that she's legally blind....

when we walked up to the check in desk, we were directed to the handicapped desk....since i had her in a wheelchair - not that she normally uses one, but it allowed us to get around more quickly in certain situations...she normally walks with a cane - not because she has a physical disability, but just to add to her stability issues that result from the low vision.... i bought the wheelchair just for the alaska trip....just in case....she didn't use it much, but every now and then....

anyway, the moment we began the check in process they saw the indication about her low vision..

they told us that someone would meet us on board to take her on a complete tour of the ship - to give her the lay of the land...

and that a low vision cruise compass would be waiting for her in the room and she would get one every day..

it's pretty amazing - super large print, on very very large sheets of paper...

i've never seen anything like it...

she couldn't use it as her vision is too far gone...

but a lot of people would be able to...

very impressive..

also, the moment we boarded, i went up to guest services to ask about reserving the front row for her in the theater, and they did...

it was reserved every night for the 4 of us....the front row...

amazing...

i didn't get any assistance at all from DCL when i took my mom on the disney dream....even when i begged them for help (both guest services and the concierge staff)....if she's not in the front row she can't see anything....but with the masses of people that wait to get into the theater and maneuvering her and my sister (who also needs help due to ovarian cancer)...there was absolutely no way for me to fight the crowds to get into the theater on the disney dream.....so we ended up several rows back where she can't see at all....so she stopped coming after the second night...it was too depressing for her to not be able to see at all...so in that sense, DCL was a major disappointment for me.....

getting back to RCCL, when we boarded, the officer found her right away - gave her a little gift (an RCCL lanyard for her keycard) - and took us on a tour of the ship...

and checked on her every day....

so say what you will about RCCL, but they were absolutely amazing with her..

oh...and they offered to have someone with her at dinner to read the menu to her....but i said it wasn't necessary as i was there for her..

but that's one of the other things they offer low vision passengers...

This is amazing! DCL with me (I traveled solo) didn't do much of anything. At dinner they printed large menus for me as I still have quite a lot of vision its just not great at reading things especially on colored or pictured backgrounds. They also sent someone to get me for the lifeboat drill the one year but not last year so not 100% sure this is consistent. Sounds like they are fairly rubbish with visual disabilities and RCCL sound amazing! I may try these in the future! I've tried a few cruise lines but most just ignore the note on file completely hence I tend to carry my magnifier. If DCL do go down the one page route I may have to start taking my iPad on holiday with me just to be able to work out whats going on.

This is amazing! DCL with me (I traveled solo) didn't do much of anything. At dinner they printed large menus for me as I still have quite a lot of vision its just not great at reading things especially on colored or pictured backgrounds. They also sent someone to get me for the lifeboat drill the one year but not last year so not 100% sure this is consistent. Sounds like they are fairly rubbish with visual disabilities and RCCL sound amazing! I may try these in the future! I've tried a few cruise lines but most just ignore the note on file completely hence I tend to carry my magnifier. If DCL do go down the one page route I may have to start taking my iPad on holiday with me just to be able to work out whats going on.

well i can't say whether RCCL is good across the board..

this was our experience on the Radiance of the Seas...

i took her to alaska - her bucket list was to go on the glass domed train in mainland alaska...

so while she was still able to see something, we did..

the crew on the Radiance of the Seas was wonderful....

i don't know if they're equally good on all their ships or not..

i've been on the Allure, but i didn't take my mom...so while the allure was fantastic, i don't know if they're also good with low vision or not..

i didn't take my mom..

but they definitely have a company wide policy in place....as to whether it's executed equally well on all ships, that i can't say...

This is amazing! DCL with me (I traveled solo) didn't do much of anything. At dinner they printed large menus for me as I still have quite a lot of vision its just not great at reading things especially on colored or pictured backgrounds. They also sent someone to get me for the lifeboat drill the one year but not last year so not 100% sure this is consistent. .

DCL with special needs and the lifeboat drill is totally inconsistent even on the same ship. The first time I traveled with an elderly, handicapped friend (since childhood has needed braces and crutches or wheelchair), I called GS to ask about how the drill would be handled. Person who took the call said she was exempt. OK.....until AFTER the 7 horns sounded and they then called to see if she would need assistance. Ummmmm....make up your mind, guys! And it would have been a whole lot easier to go down 5 minutes before the crowds rather than in the middle of them.

I just read one from someone just off the Fantasy (10-1) that said the full navigators were back. Clearly that test didn't go well.

Princess tried making people go to Passenger Services to get the daily handout on non-port days. There was such a backlash I don't even think it lasted a full month before they cancelled the trial.

I just read one from someone just off the Fantasy (10-1) that said the full navigators were back. Clearly that test didn't go well.

Princess tried making people go to Passenger Services to get the daily handout on non-port days. There was such a backlash I don't even think it lasted a full month before they cancelled the trial.

Glad they are both back to normal. One point--while on DCL, I am constantly walking past the Guest Services desk (it is near one restaurant and located in a main walkway to other locations), on Princess I never go past it unless I am making a specific trip to go there. Sure, I am in the general area when I go to the library, International Cafe, etc. but those are on different floors. It would bother me greatly on Princess as I never go to the Passenger Services area. I don't think it would bother me on DCL as I'm often in that area anyhow.

DCL with special needs and the lifeboat drill is totally inconsistent even on the same ship. The first time I traveled with an elderly' date=' handicapped friend (since childhood has needed braces and crutches or wheelchair), I called GS to ask about how the drill would be handled. Person who took the call said she was exempt. OK.....until AFTER the 7 horns sounded and they then called to see if she would need assistance. Ummmmm....make up your mind, guys! And it would have been a whole lot easier to go down 5 minutes before the crowds rather than in the middle of them.[/quote']

You would think with the amount of passengers they would have got their act together by now!

well i can't say whether RCCL is good across the board..

this was our experience on the Radiance of the Seas...

i took her to alaska - her bucket list was to go on the glass domed train in mainland alaska...

so while she was still able to see something, we did..

the crew on the Radiance of the Seas was wonderful....

i don't know if they're equally good on all their ships or not..

i've been on the Allure, but i didn't take my mom...so while the allure was fantastic, i don't know if they're also good with low vision or not..

i didn't take my mom..

but they definitely have a company wide policy in place....as to whether it's executed equally well on all ships, that i can't say...

Fab! Thanks! At least they seem to have a policy. DCL seems to just do what ever they feel like at the time.

The navigators are definitely only front/back on the Dream last week. This was our first cruise so for our purposes it seemed fine. We did use the app but had trouble running through wifi like was stated. When you do the app only works partially.

I preferred the paper version except for club and dining times and finding out deck locations. For activities it was very difficult to figure out what you wanted on the app bc you could only view one area at a time, vs seeing shipwide what the options were at say, 10:30pm. I never even knew there was a drink of the day. We carried the paper ones with us when we didn't have our phones (I tried to unplug but used it for photos and chatting on the app).

The navigators are definitely only front/back on the Dream last week. This was our first cruise so for our purposes it seemed fine. We did use the app but had trouble running through wifi like was stated. When you do the app only works partially.

I preferred the paper version except for club and dining times and finding out deck locations. For activities it was very difficult to figure out what you wanted on the app bc you could only view one area at a time, vs seeing shipwide what the options were at say, 10:30pm. I never even knew there was a drink of the day. We carried the paper ones with us when we didn't have our phones (I tried to unplug but used it for photos and chatting on the app).

Thank you for replying!

Hopefully the roll out back to a full Nav will take place across the fleet soon.

I'm guessing with the weather, it is very very low down on the list of things to achieve in Celebration at the moment, but it does sound like there is an intention to return to the 6 page Nav.

ex techie

If I had to guess I would say going back to 6 page is admitting the app has major faults, the main one being it's need for wifi and the sad reality that 75% of cruisers are going to blow through that the first day due to ignorance (even my techie husband and I didn't realize our apps were updating). That, and the fact you have to download the app before embarkation.

If I had to guess I would say going back to 6 page is admitting the app has major faults, the main one being it's need for wifi and the sad reality that 75% of cruisers are going to blow through that the first day due to ignorance (even my techie husband and I didn't realize our apps were updating). That, and the fact you have to download the app before embarkation.

I agree about faults with the app from reports on here, however, you do not need to pay for wifi to use the app onboard.

The app connects to the wifi and not the internet, just the ships internal intranet network.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/navigator-app/where-to-download/

Not having the app downloadable via the ships intranet is a major flaw!

Just and FYI, on your next cruise, you can stop by Guest Services and ask for assistance in making sure all of your settings are correct to prevent any updates or accidental downloads.

But I guess a lot of people don't know that and just like you have, still not got every setting just right.

ex techie

I agree about faults with the app from reports on here, however, you do not need to pay for wifi to use the app onboard.

The app connects to the wifi and not the internet, just the ships internal intranet network.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/navigator-app/where-to-download/

Not having the app downloadable via the ships intranet is a major flaw!

Just and FYI, on your next cruise, you can stop by Guest Services and ask for assistance in making sure all of your settings are correct to prevent any updates or accidental downloads.

But I guess a lot of people don't know that and just like you have, still not got every setting just right.

ex techie

The issue is for Android 6.0 and newer will auto disconnect from wifi that is unconnected from the internet. OEMs can change the os settings though. Undoubtedly on the Alaska cruise I didn't bring a laptop to manually change the settings.

This has been known by D C L for a long time now but have not done anything about it. There are 2 possible solutions, provide a very low connection speed to the internet or switch to Bluetooth. Bluetooth is designed for device to device communication (phone to server) but I suspect that will never happen because of how Apple views Bluetooth.

Most business access points support wifi and Bluetooth so it would be a simple to activate and program.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The issue is for Android 6.0 and newer will auto disconnect from wifi that is unconnected from the internet. OEMs can change the os settings though. Undoubtedly on the Alaska cruise I didn't bring a laptop to manually change the settings.

This has been known by D C L for a long time now but have not done anything about it. There are 2 possible solutions, provide a very low connection speed to the internet or switch to Bluetooth. Bluetooth is designed for device to device communication (phone to server) but I suspect that will never happen because of how Apple views Bluetooth.

Most business access points support wifi and Bluetooth so it would be a simple to activate and program.

I have very limited experience with Android OS, but rather than a every low connection, a restricted internet feed limited to the DCL site would be the most obvious work around IMO.

No one would be on there for long and video's could be disabled on a mirrored site to minimize bandwidth needed.

As for Bluetooth, I know there are commercial transmitters and receivers in different classes capable of transmissions anywhere from 30 foot to 300 foot in open unobstructed airspace). I have no idea of what an Android OS device or Apple device has in terms of class and transmission distance as even if the transmitter were high powered, the device would also have to be to return information about downloaded data.

ex techie

I have very limited experience with Android OS, but rather than a every low connection, a restricted internet feed limited to the DCL site would be the most obvious work around IMO.

No one would be on there for long and video's could be disabled on a mirrored site to minimize bandwidth needed.

I doubt it's configurable by the user. Since Android is a product of Google, it probably tries to ping google.com. But I don't know the details of this issue.

In any case, to me it seems to be a flaw with Android, and not a flaw with DCL's internet service. WiFi does not necessarily equal Internet, and Android shouldn't assume that is the case.

It is a configurable command but I would need to be able push it thru terminal commands. It is above what the normal user can /should / will do.

It has been known by app developers for almost 2 years now. I honestly agree with Google, for 99.9% of the time I want the phone to only connect to a useful wifi network, of there is none that are working then use cell data. Which is why I haven't changed it. For phones it is mostly useless to connect to a network without internet.

What DCL is doing is a hokey pokey work around. Single device to device communication should be thru Bluetooth. The DCL app only connects your device to the server, it never directly connects to another person's device.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by ArthurUSCG

Since Tonka's Skipper is doing trivia on another thread, I'll throw out a piece of DCL trivia:

Why is it called the "Personal Navigator?"

The original concept was that each "Navigator" was to be personalized for the guest's demographics. Kids would get a Navigator that had kids' activities, teens, adults etc.

It was one of the many innovations that would make DCL different from the rest. It didn't survive past the concept stage but the name did.