Barcelona - Your 'do not miss' list

Hi all. I have 2.5 days in Barcelona prior to my transatlantic cruise. I have my bus turistic ticket. I'm a fan of Gaudi and plan to see several of his works. If time allows I'd like to go to Montserrat also.

There is so much to see and do there, I can't possibly fit it all in. What are your 'do not miss' sites?

Thanks!

Hi

You will love Barcelona, it is one of our favourite cities which we have visited several times.

Things we would not dream of missing are:-

Park Guell Gaudi - walk to the very top and you will have the most amazing views of Barcelona. Some wonderful Guadi works as well. Allow a good couple of hours for visiting here.

Sagrada Familia Cathedral - this is the really famous one that is not yet finished

La Pedrera Casa Mila - probably the most well recognised Gaudi building

We were also taken to a very large Fort, high up on the hills overlooking the cruise harbour, again with wonderful views of the city. I've racked my brain but I can't remember what it is called, well worth visiting though

We have never managed to actually see them, but the Magic Fountains of Montjuic are supposed to be very good.

Also, for a very traditional but wonderful meal, visit El Asador De Aranda restaurant, their lamb is the best in the world ! www.asadoraranda.com

We have been known to visit Barcelona purely to eat at this restaurant!

Enjoy Barcelona

I agree with Ahoy re the Gaudi sites - we spent about 2 hours at each site (or more....there is so much to take in!)

In addition:

- The Cathedral in the Bari Gothic district (with a trip to the rooftop on the elevator if it's a clear day....the views are spectacular)

- Les Quinz Nitz restaurant in Placa Reial, off La Rambla (it's famous judging by the long lines that form each night, but if you arrive early - 7pm- you shouldn't have to wait, food is good and prices are incredibly low) Here are some pictures of the Placa: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/albums-en/placa-reial/

- A stroll down the length of La Rambla from Placa de Catalunya to the waterfront where the monument of Christopher Columbus is

- A visit to the department store El Cortes Ingles in Placa de Catalunya (esp. the basement food/beverage area where you can buy wines to take on your cruise with you.)

You'll love Barcelona!

Sagrada Familia is definitely a must. Be sure you go UP the towers to see the views. Plus get close up and personal with the 'steeples?' of grapes. There's an elevator, a 2 E charge, that will get you partially up one of the towers. The line wasn't long, maybe a 10 minute wait. The only way down is by walking down a narrow staircase. Of course, you could skip the elevator and attempt walking up, but I don't recommend doing that :eek:

PS: Was on the 10/22 sailing onboard the Splendour and it was a 5 star cruise! Service was amazing and I was pleasantly surprised with the food too! I ate every bit of everything that was put in front of me! Enjoy your cruise!

We are going to be on Brilliance transatlantic. We,too, have a couple of days in Barcelona. I will list our must sees for you.

Sagrada Familia

Parc Guell

Caso Batllo

Cathedral of Barcelona- there is supposed to be a museum behind the cathedral where you can go underground and see the original walls of the city and walk on the Roman roads from long ago. Cost 4eur.

Picasso Museum

We, also are planning on going to Montserrat. This is the info I gathered on how to do that. You will need to go to the Espanya Metro Station(L3). There will be an information spot right in front of Palau de la Metal on Av. De LaReina Maria Cristina. You are supposed to be able to buy a round trip ticket for the train and cable car(or finicular if your not good with hieghts), for 12eur. At the current exchange rate this is 14.41 usd. We have allowed 5 hours for this trip. The train takes an hour each way. I don't know how long the CC or Funicular takes. Anyways that will leave us a few hours to see Montserrat. I've heard it is not to be missed. Here is the website I found the most info on it. http://www.virtourist.com/europe/barcelona/ If you go to the very last page of this tour, in the bottom left hand corner, there will be a link for Montserrat.

Hope this has been helpful. Enjoy your stay in Barcelona and your transatlantic voyage.

Susan-M,

Now you're talking, Les Quinz Nitz restaurant, our favorite subject. We have never been to Barcelona and not been here. Doesn't open untill 8.30pm, but be sure to be in line. The line looks very long when you get there, but however long, you should get in first off. What's the line about, well it's like that every night and most are locals. We had 2 starters, 2 salads, 2 mains, a half bottle of wine and a mineral water, 33 euros total. I cannot recomend it enough.

Andy...we went to Les Quinz Nitz on recommendations from CC (probably one of yours:) ) - thanks for mentioning the opening time - I thought it was earlier. The first night we went at approx. 9:30 & the line was very long ... we were hungry so didn't stay; the next night we went approx 1 hour prior to opening and am embarrassed to say that we were first in line (although others were lingering around just waiting for someone else to start the line). The wait was a nice chance to meet & talk to other travellers as well as be entertained by a street performer. We sat upstairs overlooking the plaza...very nice!

Must see/do in Barcelona:

Dinner and people watching from a sidewalk cafe along La Rambla below Gran Via (more expensive and more crowded) or Rambla de Catalunya above Gran Via (better food and less crowded but still plenty to see).

A stroll on Rambla de Catalunya in addition to seeing La Rambla (lots of stores and restaurants on both sides with sidewalk cafes down the middle).

The food market off La Rambla.

Wine and water shopping in El Corte Ingles.

We loved Barcelona and can't wait to go back. Enjoy!

Most of the highlights have been well covered; Barrio Gothic including Catedral, Gaudi works,on/off touristic bus, La Ramblas, Montserrat, etc. Each time we have been to Barcelona, we have taken a day trip to Sitges; a beautiful town with a large and lovely beach along a semi tropical promenade. Well worth the trip if you have the time.

Sorry I should have said, we ate at the Pau Claris 70 restaurant, which is very centrally located.

Worth bearing in mind, a lot of restaurants don't open untl 9pm as the locals tend to eat very late. We booked a table at Asador for 9pm and were the only people there until 10pm - I couldn't eat a big meal that late though & still have a good nights sleep!

Honestly, you must must have the oven cooked lamb if you do go to this restaurant

We went to the Sagrada Familia, the Picasso Museum and the Pavilion Guell, which is one of the first houses designed by Gaudi. We just stumbled upon the last one – it's located about ½ mile from the Metro stop at Maria Christina. See the map here: http://www.euroave.com/maps/01map.php?xcity=barcelona&glj=409

There was a young man standing inside the locked dragon's head gate, and DH asked him about a tour. He said, "right now," and for 5 Euros each we got a personal tour of the place. It really was fascinating to hear about Gaudi's start as an architect and some of the techniques he used.

After our visit to the Picasso Museum, we stopped at a tapas bar on the way back to the train station (can't remember the name, but it was on the left just before the street opened up into a square). We had some great tapas - sausage, roasted potatoes, seafood salad - and wine. We also ate at a restaurant just off Las Ramblas called La Villa. Wonderful paella!

Sorry I should have said, we ate at the Pau Claris 70 restaurant, which is very centrally located.

Worth bearing in mind, a lot of restaurants don't open untl 9pm as the locals tend to eat very late. We booked a table at Asador for 9pm and were the only people there until 10pm - I couldn't eat a big meal that late though & still have a good nights sleep!

Honestly, you must must have the oven cooked lamb if you do go to this restaurant

I have a business card from El Asador De Aranda - full details are:-

Telephone: +93 342 5577

C\. Pau Claris 70

Barcelona 08010

Email: asador@adaroranda.com

It's not particularly 'posh' from the outside, but it is very traditional inside and the food more than makes up for it.

Make sure though you tell them you want the Pau Claris restaurant, the others are supposed to be just as good, but not centrally located.

Enjoy - I'm jealous & can taste the lamb now :D

Archived