Empress OTS 9/26/16 Review - 5 day Key West & Cozumel

lcookie

I did the 9/3 sailing by myself, but my DW and DD and I are going on the Empress on January 12th. My daughter is 12 as well, and while she likes the slides and such, she's always happy with the shows, dance classes, and hanging out onboard as well.

I thought there was a fair amount of trivia, with some involving younger people (Disney music trivia, for example). There were quite a few dance classes, especially for latin dancing. The one thing with the kids clubs is generally (didn't check on this ship) the 12yo get thrown in with the teens. My daughter was a bit uncomfortable with the club when it was basically a bunch of 16-17yo boys. But that's going to be the case on all ships for a few years for her.

There's not going to be as many as the bigger ships though. It's a small ship, so that limits some of the things onboard. There's a pool, and a rock-climbing wall, a few ping pong tables, things like that.

We're going to be doing the Fantasy 10/28th for the weekend cruise as well. :)

We are looking to book cruise that leaves October 20th on empress or October 21st on fantasy since there is no school thst Friday. I guess I need to hurry up and decide. I just keep going back and forth. Empress has 4 days instead of 3. Empress has 2 ports instead of 1. But... She has alwsys enjoyed carnival activities and the lively fun feel on their ships.

We got up early to head to brunch and to our surprise we were already docked. I was expecting to be woken up by the shimmy from the thrusters as we docked, but that was not the case. This little vessel rides very very smooth.

We checked the weather as we ate cause you could see the storm rolling in from open water. Weather man said storms roll out by 12 so we decided to hang out till then. Guess what it did not. So we left in the rain to explore the island. Be back soon comedy show starting.

Other take aways:

Live band during musical was better than digital music.

Wind Jammer buffet area remained cool even on the sunny sea day.

We got up early to head to brunch and to our surprise we were already docked. I was expecting to be woken up by the shimmy from the thrusters as we docked, but that was not the case. This little vessel rides very very smooth.

We checked the weather as we ate cause you could see the storm rolling in from open water. Weather man said storms roll out by 12 so we decided to hang out till then. Guess what it did not. So we left in the rain to explore the island. Be back soon comedy show starting.

Other take aways:

We docked at the Navy Pier. RCI had shuttles that took you into the heart of the tourist district. The driver gave us a history lesson while heading in. Our original plan was to rent a golf cart for the day; however, we decided not to with the late start and bad weather.

Instead we walked around and explored the drop off area. We found a key lime pie spot so we checked that off the bucket list. After about an hour we headed back to the ship. This driver was way less impressive.

Back on board we dried out and headed to deck 6 aft for sail away. This area is open but covered. As we mushed off the rain stops and we see Key West glowing under a bright blue sky.

After dinner we participated in the parade of flags and met the captain. Next we went to the variety show in the theater. Finally we landed at the White Party on Deck 10 to close out the night.

After what was a slow start we capped off the day in big fashion!

Now we are at the point where we get to see what this little boat has to offer. I jumped up early and walked around then hit the buffet. After I finished I went and grabbed Teeny to do the same. She had already made plans to veg out in the pool. It was roughly 10:30 when we made it pool side and we were able to find seats quite easily. I was surprised. She played in the water while I enjoyed a beverage or 2 or 3.

Mama made it up around noon to join me and get me mentally prepared for the show down.

I was totally going to win the Belly Flop Competition! Sign up started at 1 for the showdown at 1:15.

As I survey the field I note some stiff competition and the scores proved it. After the light weights jumped in Iron Man number 1 pulls a 4.6. Next guy pulls a 4.8. Am I in over my head with this one? HECKS NAW!

Perfect 5.0 with only goliath to follow. He hit a 4.7 so I took home the gold.

That was the most fun I have had in a while.

We dried out and hit the buffet for lunch. Then we napped till dinner.

After the meal we went to the 80's dance show in the Centrium followed by the comedy show.

We turned in early as Cozumel was on deck today.

Couple take aways:

1. If you are going to buy pictures think about the take em all package. They are not afraid to load you up with the poses. We are well ahead with just the good poses at this point.

2. Shopping is limited but Mama has found something at each sale event.

3. Little one loves kids camp. Always asking to be dropped off.

Early to bed early to rise. The ship was set to dock at 8ish and we wanted to be amongst the first group to set off. Headed up to the wind jammer for bfast and to watch the ship head into port. I really like the way the buffet sits at the front of the ship which allows it to offer some terrific panoramic views. We were 3rd in line to dock that day. Carnival Glory and Oasis OTS were ahead of us. We shared a pier with Oasis. Talk about BIG! We actually chose Empress over Oasis for this trip. Our next RC trip will be on an Oasis Class ship.

After a quick disembarkation and photo op we were in the terminal. They had everything you could possibly want to buy in there. Once outside there were more shops all around to look through. We opted for a cab to paradise beach. 10 minutes later we were there.

The place was cheap, clean, and refreshing. We stayed in the pool area. The beach was weedy and rocky for the most part. The sand was grainy and very sticky if that makes scene.

We stayed there until the little one pruned up. Back at the port I copped a seat while the ladies shopped. Around 3 we boarded and went to the room to rest up. Room service put us right to bed.

Tonight's meal was jumbo shrimp. I was hoping for lobster but no deal. However, the shrimp were to die for.

After dinner we took pictures and turned in. Seems Cozumel was too much for us.

Other take aways:

Thanks for the review...it is the smoothest ship I have been on when at cruising speed.

For the record, Empress does not have azipods...has conventional shaft and props...but it does have variable pitch props. Some vibes at sailaway but other than that very smooth.

This morning the little one and I got up early so we could walk the ship and explore the remaining areas we did not visit so far. After that we headed to the wind jammer for bfast. Menu was the same as every other day, but we did learn that the servers are more than happy to provide you with drinks while you eat.

After the meal the little one headed to kids camp and I headed down to the room to link up with mama.

We headed to Sea Day Brunch. The spread was very impressive. So much that I took the little one there so she could experience it for lunch.

Next we hit the pool deck so lil bits could float around. Even at 1:30 pm we were able to find open chairs on the pool deck. They held the sexiest man contest while we were there. I started to participate, but decided winning the contest on Tuesday was enough. I did not want to sweep the events.

Around 4 we headed down to rest up for dinner. Went to the MDR so lil bits could eat and to catch the so long performance. Next we dropped lil bits off to kids club and we went to Chops for dinner.

After dinner we picked up our pics and grabbed the little one. We did not catch the last show as we were in Chops.

After retiring to the cabin we packed up and turned in.

Take aways:

1. Chops was worth the price of admission.

2. If you are going to buy pics think about the all inclusive package. We really got our money's worth.

We have not cruised much but this was the easiest process I have ever experienced. Got up at 7 and headed to the dining room for one last meal. I really liked that they offered this service versus just eating at the buffet. Finished the meal at 8 and headed to the room to grab our bags. Made our way up to deck 5 and waited for our zone to be called. Not once did we feel rushed or hurried. Everyone just seemed to leisurely walk off. This was not the case during our last trip.

Overall I give the Empress a 5 out of 5. Sure she was small, old and not an Oasis Class, but she was well dressed, rode well, and had just enough going on to keep you involved.

If you are on the fence go ahead and give her a go.

I did not give them a glowing review first go around, but my second room here corrected all that was wrong before. This time we are in the east tower. These rooms are renovated. These must be the ones they advertise on the web.

Once I get settled in at home I will upload pics of the trip.

I have to confess that the Empress is my favorite ship of all time. I'm "into" longer cruises now so I'm hoping they'll eventually change her itineraries a bit. Your video took me back there...thanks! And watching the take off in the plane made me totally ready to go on vacation NOW.

I have to confess that the Empress is my favorite ship of all time. I'm "into" longer cruises now so I'm hoping they'll eventually change her itineraries a bit. Your video took me back there...thanks! And watching the take off in the plane made me totally ready to go on vacation NOW.

Yea she was quite nice for her age and the crew was awesome. They treated my little one like royalty. They started offering some 7 day cruises over the holidays. Maybe you can get one of those in before she moves to her Cuba sailings.

Great video thanks. The first song with the plane taking off made me ready to go! Just a week and a half :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always try to pick a theme song from the cruise to present in my videos. That song was played several times during our cruise.

• 2 weeks later...