Snorkeling in Lautoka, Suva, Vila, Mystery Island and Isle of Pines

Maple30

Hi, We're on the Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas, leaving Sydney on the 5th January 2017. I love snorkeling and was looking for opportunities to do so at these destinations without paying the ships prices. Any suggestions greatfully appreciated.

VILA.

Hideaway Island.

If you have a group, negotiate a taxi to the ferry pier.

If solo you could get a share van or water taxi to town and then local bus if you wish.

Coming back either have a taxi to meet you, or walk up to the main road and flag down a local bus to town.

The ferry (no charge) will take you across, pay your AUD 15 day fee.

Very good snorkeling.

Bar and restaurant there.

MYSTERY ISLAND

The current was very strong when I was there, and the close in snorkeling was over on the RHS as you walk off the tender.

The current was clockwise when I was there, so if the same I would walk straight ahead to the other side of the Island, enter there and float with the current back towards the tender pier.

You will need good reef shoes to get out into acceptable depth.

The locals will have boats going out to the outer reef for snorkeling if you wish.

If you go to LIFOU on another trip, Jinek bay snorkel is a must.

Isle of Pines you can take a local tour to the Natural Aquarium,

When you get off the tender walk 100m towards the surf shop, there will a van there last time we paid $20 return for the bus $10 entrance fee. He will drop you off and pick you up at a prearranged time.

Absolutely Beautiful !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I visited Isle of Pines when I was on Voyager early this year. Fantastic place. Took my own snorkel gear - you can hire them from locals there if you wish to use something plenty of people have used before you.

By far the absolute best place nearby to the ship was only a few hundred meters away. As you walk down from where the tenders dock you'll see a beach on the left that you can see the ship from, a roadway with all the stalls setup, but then just to the right of that roadway there's some more stalls, another beach, and a huge rock formation. If you snorkel there it is absolutely fantastic. I have some great underwater video footage of hundreds of tropical fish swimming right up against and around people.

Isle of Pines you can take a local tour to the Natural Aquarium,

When you get off the tender walk 100m towards the surf shop, there will a van there last time we paid $20 return for the bus $10 entrance fee. He will drop you off and pick you up at a prearranged time.

Absolutely Beautiful !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This. One of the most beautiful places to snorkel, especially when the open water is rough as the lagoon remains calm.