CHARLESTON - Charleston Airport Hotel

patticake1961

Has anyone stayed at this hotel in N.Charleston? I have been reading mixed reviews and would love some firsthand information. I have it booked for next year at $89 per night. It has an indoor pool, free breakfast, free shuttles from the airport and to the ship and a restaurant on site. It almost sounds to good to be true! :)

Thank you.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel in N.Charleston? I have been reading mixed reviews and would love some firsthand information. I have it booked for next year at $89 per night. It has an indoor pool, free breakfast, free shuttles from the airport and to the ship and a restaurant on site. It almost sounds to good to be true! :)

Thank you.

I believe you're referring to the Radisson Charleston Airport Hotel at Rivers Ave & Aviation Ave?

It's an old hotel in a not great area but I haven't heard bad things about it. thus probably the mixed reviews. You didn't say which month since that has a bearing on hotel pricing.

Are you flying into Charleston or Driving?

We are flying in, in November of next year. I like doing my research early. :D I need a hotel that has a restaurant on site because I'm traveling with my elderly Mom and she can't walk any distances. And yes, that is the hotel I'm talking about, but I think it's no longer affiliated with Radisson.

If price is your only factor and you won't be doing anything else before your cruise, then I suppose that is a good price. Since you're flying in, you'll only need transportation to the port because you can easily get a taxi at the end of your cruise to the airport.

But keep in mind that when hotels no longer maintain a hotel chain's flag but becomes independent, there is a reason. Usually it's because they're not living up to the minimum requirements.

If price is your only factor and you won't be doing anything else before your cruise, then I suppose that is a good price. Since you're flying in, you'll only need transportation to the port because you can easily get a taxi at the end of your cruise to the airport.

But keep in mind that when hotels no longer maintain a hotel chain's flag but becomes independent, there is a reason. Usually it's because they're not living up to the minimum requirements.

Thanks for your input. I have to put some serious consideration into this hotel. I do have some time, so I will keep checking the reviews and see if they get any better. Thanks again! :)

Thanks for your input. I have to put some serious consideration into this hotel. I do have some time, so I will keep checking the reviews and see if they get any better. Thanks again! :)

Take a look at the Holiday Inn (they have a restaurant) or other properties in Mount Pleasant near the Ravenel Bridge. It's a short, inexpensive taxi ride to the port. It's a much nicer area than North Charleston.

Another property in West Ashley is Town & Country Inn on Savannah Highway. They've remodeled and have a decent on property restaurant with a Ruby Tuesdays across the street.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Quick question since you seem to be very informed with the surrounding area. I have read your list of recommendations on places to stay but wondering if you could tell me if the LaQuinta is as bad as the reviews it has received? We have points that would give us a free room there but not sure that we should chance it due to their reviews they receive. Any comments would be helpful. We will be cruising out of Charlestown the first weekend in Nov.

Quick question since you seem to be very informed with the surrounding area. I have read your list of recommendations on places to stay but wondering if you could tell me if the LaQuinta is as bad as the reviews it has received? We have points that would give us a free room there but not sure that we should chance it due to their reviews they receive. Any comments would be helpful. We will be cruising out of Charlestown the first weekend in Nov.

That intersection on Ashley Phosphate Road (locally called Ashley Frustrate) and I-26 is the worst traffic area in the metro along with accompanying accidents. That property could take you 45 minutes to get to the port. I would suggest you save the points for a good LQ property.

If that LQ has so many bad reviews, I would believe them. Did you check their reviews on Trip Advisor?

That intersection on Ashley Phosphate Road (locally called Ashley Frustrate) and I-26 is the worst traffic area in the metro along with accompanying accidents. That property could take you 45 minutes to get to the port. I would suggest you save the points for a good LQ property.

If that LQ has so many bad reviews, I would believe them. Did you check their reviews on Trip Advisor?

Thanks for the heads up. I have checked several sites and the reviews are more bad then good unfortunately, Will pick a spot in the historical district. Thanks :)

Thanks for the heads up. I have checked several sites and the reviews are more bad then good unfortunately, Will pick a spot in the historical district. Thanks :)

If price matters to you, check out the hotels on or near Lockwood Blvd. They're a little farther out than right downtown but more reasonable rates. By the Medical University.

Also check out the properties in West Ashley like the Holiday Inn Riverview, Residence Inn Riverview or Springhill Suites Riverview. They're all close to a popular restaurant called California Dreaming that has large windows overlooking downtown and the marinas.

Oh I just remembered, there's a LaQuinta right next to California Dreaming in the same area. Did you check them out? LaQuinta Riverview.

If you want to stay in the heart of downtown, there are two properties to investigate...Meeting Street Inn and Days Inn Historic District both next to each other on Meeting Street and less than 1/2 block from the start of the Market area.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

If price matters to you, check out the hotels on or near Lockwood Blvd. They're a little farther out than right downtown but more reasonable rates. By the Medical University.

Also check out the properties in West Ashley like the Holiday Inn Riverview, Residence Inn Riverview or Springhill Suites Riverview. They're all close to a popular restaurant called California Dreaming that has large windows overlooking downtown and the marinas.

Oh I just remembered, there's a LaQuinta right next to California Dreaming in the same area. Did you check them out? LaQuinta Riverview.

If you want to stay in the heart of downtown, there are two properties to investigate...Meeting Street Inn and Days Inn Historic District both next to each other on Meeting Street and less than 1/2 block from the start of the Market area.

That was the LaQuinta I was referring to. Thanks for the info will add those to your list I printed out.