Cancellation Insurance?

beltane

I have another question...

Hubs and I both have very elderly, very sick parents. We've never purchased cancellation insurance before. We booked our cruise ourselves through Celebrity, should I simply phone Celebrity back and arrange cancellation insurance through them? Or is this something I arrange through another source? Is it worth it, or do they make it very difficult to make a claim if one of our parents were on death's door or died? We wouldn't leave the cruise if there was a death while we were away, but we certainly would probably stay home if one of them was so ill that most likely death was imminent. (Sorry for the morbid topic.)

Am open to any and all suggestions...

Many thanks.

Also, check with your major credit card company - some give coverage..

Unfortunately I am suppose to be on the Summit in NE/Canada right now. However, the friend that I was to travel with experienced a life threat medical emergency just two weeks prior to the cruise that left Cape Liberty on September 18th.

First I normally book cruises AND travel insurance through my TA, as indeed I did for this cruise.Never buy the insurance through the cruise line. As long as one buys travel insurance, usually within 10 days of the initial deposit, precious medical conditions are exempt.

Our TA immediately assisted me in knowing exactly what paperwork would be required to submit our claim for full refund and Celebrity refunded the tax cost. It will be another 4 weeks approximately before our claim is completely processed and refund sent but they have acknowledged, through our TA, that all the required paperwork has been received. I even notified United Airlines and Carlson Hotel, assuming our "non-refundable" money would be lost, but in both cases they have already credited my credit card for the costs.Hats off to them!

I know we cannot list or suggest what insurance company to use but if desired you can E-mail me and I will give you the name. This was to be my 30th cruise and I always sort of questioned paying money for travel insurance but I'm sure glad I always have and now have had to use it too.

RN_DEW@YAHOO.COM

Edited by PROCRUISE