Koningsdam problems

ren0312

We have only been on three large ship cruises including the Christening Cruise on Koningsdam as well as a couple of short cruises on small ships. We went on HAL as our friends were going and asked us along. The previous HAL cruise was on the Prisendam and we really did much prefer it.

Our issues were mostly with crowding; we did find the Lido very crowded indeed and it really felt to us just like being in our local mall. When we tried the MDR for breakfast the service was exceptionally slow and slack. Keep in mind that as Aussies we are used to slow and slack service and although we do not like slack, we like more leisurely than is the norm in the US. But to wait 45 minutes for a coffee, for example, is above our level of tolerance. We had traditional fixed dining and we were happy with that. Our steward had to get rid of us some nights by joking about our taxi having arrived etc.

We were happy with the stateroom and its arrangement but we really felt sorry for the performers on the Lincoln Stage with all the noise that passers by caused.

I think we just prefer the small more intimate atmosphere on small ships. We don't care if the decor is old-fashioned.

We have only been on three large ship cruises including the Christening Cruise on Koningsdam as well as a couple of short cruises on small ships. We went on HAL as our friends were going and asked us along. The previous HAL cruise was on the Prisendam and we really did much prefer it.

Our issues were mostly with crowding; we did find the Lido very crowded indeed and it really felt to us just like being in our local mall. When we tried the MDR for breakfast the service was exceptionally slow and slack. Keep in mind that as Aussies we are used to slow and slack service and although we do not like slack, we like more leisurely than is the norm in the US. But to wait 45 minutes for a coffee, for example, is above our level of tolerance. We had traditional fixed dining and we were happy with that. Our steward had to get rid of us some nights by joking about our taxi having arrived etc.

We were happy with the stateroom and its arrangement but we really felt sorry for the performers on the Lincoln Stage with all the noise that passers by caused.

I think we just prefer the small more intimate atmosphere on small ships. We don't care if the decor is old-fashioned.

Having read some of the comments about Koningsdam I think we will stay with the "older" ships for now. We love the Vista class ships and in fact, so far, we have only been on those. Will be on last of the four, Zuiderdam, end of Nov. We just retired 2 years and are getting into cruising more now so hope to check out some of the others in next few years and try some longer voyages. In looking at deck plans of Koningsdam I don't like the way the Vista and Signature suites are laid out with bed next to veranda area rather than the sitting area. Looks like you have to lay in bed to see the views unless you are actually out on the veranda. I love the Signature Suites on Vista class where there is a window right in front of the large desk area. Bathrooms look way smaller than Vista class SS. No promenade to speak of. More crowded Lido? Not good. Don't use library that much so that no big deal I guess but have enjoyed browsing there before. Long coffee wait would definitely not set well with me and DH would have been out of there! Think I will stick with the old ships for now - rust and all!

Jane

I can't remember when AC was an option on a car and I'll be 53 in two days. Yeah the toilet placement is awkward, but the shower looks large and most importantly does not have that HORRIBLE shower curtain! Bringing our own reading material, and I'm sure the two of us will be able to move one chair.

I'm older than you are & my first new car was a Toyota Corolla without air in 1970.. I was single, supporting myself & lived from paycheck to paycheck...

In 1976 I made the mistake of going to see my Mothers friend who was a Toyota Dealer.. In his showroom was a beautiful new RED Celica! :D:D

Wanted that car so badly but the Dealer was going to give it to his Daughter.. I begged for it & finally he said yes.. I could not afford the air so ordered it without it..

When I went to pick it up it had air! Unbeknownst to me, my future DH made a deal with the Dealer & paid for air as a gift to me.. I was thrilled with my RED Celica.. Gave it to our 19 yr old Son years later & he ruined the inside by putting huge speakers in the hatch back :(.. That made me so sad!:eek::eek:

PS Tried to insert pic of my brand new car, but it will not insert..

Edited by serendipity1499

Congratulations Ayrity...so happy for you! We'll be on the November 13th to 22nd sailing. Love your saying, "Cut of your jib!"

All the best to you,

M & M:):)

Thanks! We are on the 9th b2b through the 23rd, we have about 60 people coming on the 9th - 13th and then it's mostly just us two staying on for our honeymoon, see ya there!

Can someone who has been on a Kdam sailing please help me out?

I've always enjoyed the Adagio Strings (duo) who traditionally play 5:00-9:00 in the Explorer's Lounge. How does that compare to the classical musicians in Lincoln Center Live? How many musicians, what hours, how many days? Is there beverage service in that venue?

Thanks. This is an important element of HAL for me.

Edited by TakesNotes

Can someone who has been on a Kdam sailing please help me out?

I've always enjoyed the Adagio Strings (duo) who traditionally play 5:00-9:00 in the Explorer's Lounge. How does that compare to the classical musicians in Lincoln Center Live? How many musicians, what hours, how many days? Is there beverage service in that venue?

Thanks. This is an important element of HAL for me.

The Lincoln musicians were very talented and played a broad range of repertoire from show tunes to classical. It is more of a concert setting with people sitting in rows listening.

We didn't enjoy it much for two reasons: (1) as noted above, there can be a lot of noise from people walking by/in the bar across the hall and that is distracting when at a concert/recital; and (2) the instruments should be heard in their natural acoustic way and not amplified as the amplification spoils the quality of the sound IMHO.

For us, it seemed to be a nice idea just poorly executed.

The Lincoln musicians were very talented and played a broad range of repertoire from show tunes to classical. It is more of a concert setting with people sitting in rows listening.

We didn't enjoy it much for two reasons: (1) as noted above, there can be a lot of noise from people walking by/in the bar across the hall and that is distracting when at a concert/recital; and (2) the instruments should be heard in their natural acoustic way and not amplified as the amplification spoils the quality of the sound IMHO.

For us, it seemed to be a nice idea just poorly executed.

Lets consider that the Explorer Lounge (where Adagio performs) on the Vista class ships....is adjacent to a corridor (hallway) that leads between the MDR and other end of the ship where the main showroom is located. So folks come out of the MDR, and walk by (while Adagio is performing) chatting away with total disregard of the musicians only a few feet away. And we fondly remember when the Adagio Duo....was the Rosario Strings Quartet :).

Hank