Tipping?

paulmlac

Tip Question  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Tip Question

• Added
    • Preset amount
    • Subtracted

Or just bundle it in the fare like they do here.

Very true!

so i know they add the preferred tips to the bill is this correct? how do you pay for these add it on the credit card?

They will automatically go on what ever payment method you have for the cruise so credit card or cash.

also if you get a soda or something do you tip the bar tender cash or does it go on a receipt and you pay at the end?

18% grat is automatically added and then this gets charged to your stateroom account. You can however get soda free from the drinks station at the pool deck.

how much cash do you bring and how much are you spending approximately? we would only be getting soda or juice no alcoholic drinks.

Depends on if you are charging to a credit card or actually topping your stateroom account up with cash. You don't pay cash anywhere on the ship directly. Soft drinks (and juice) are free in the restaurants. Soda station on pool deck has soft drinks, teas and coffees for free too. Only if you order from a bar do you get charged. I try to budget based on one alcoholic drink a day ($10) and a $25 gift for the 4 people I tend to shop for plus maybe $50 for something for me and then any tours etc I am doing.

i know you tip the room service people appx 2 bucks per item?? is this cash or do you add it on the receipt?

I tend to do a few bucks per tray rather than $2 per item depending on the size. I always tip in cash but you can ask to add to the room charge if you want.

i have never cruised so i am wondering how much money to plan on spending?:confused:

Definitely look at the tours you want to do as this is probably the largest price you will pay out (especially if you are not drinking). Sodas if you are buying them are around the $5 mark I think. Most food is included apart from like cinema snack things which are charged. Also speciality meals in Palo or Remy are at a supplement.

How much you spend on a cruise is totally up to you. We've done cruises where we spent almost nothing beyond tips, and cruises where we spent thousands (planned ahead). OK, the thousands was Alaska and we did some great but costly excursions.

Stuff that costs--photos, shopping, spa, alcohol, adult dining, nursery, specialty non-alcoholic beverages, excursions. You don't NEED any of these to have a great cruise and each has a wide cost range.

Spa--$16 for rainforest pass to over $500 for spa villa for two

Photos--take your own camera. Character attendants will be happy to take your photo for you.

Excursions--you can save by doing them on your own

You get the idea. Honestly, on one cruise I had a bill of $7 + tips and had a great time.

We're just back from our Disney Dream 4 night cruise.

I know this is a "hot" topic but I'm curious so I'll dip my toe in the water & ask. I'm curious how many people fall into the various buckets below:

- Add to the preset tip amount

- Do exactly the preset tip amount

- Subtract from the preset tip amount

I totally understand if people don't want to answer since, as I mentioned, I know this is a "hot" topic.

As for us:

- Added: waiter, assistant waiter, cabin attendant

- Preset amount: head waiter

Here's why I'm curious. The waiter provided excellent service & was very personable throughout the cruise but seemed a little more distant at the departure breakfast. I added but don't know how common that is. I'm hoping he didn't feel "stiffed" by us.

(Sorry the poll doesn't allow for multiple entries, I guess pick what is most common)

Like others I fall into Add and Leave As Is. Depends on many factors which I do.

The only way I would ever consider reducing a tip was if there was a problem with service (dining room OR stateroom) that was not resolved after conversations with those who can help. If that took place (say hypothetically (as this has NEVER happened to me on DCL) my dining room servers were doing something I didn't feel was excellent service and sharing my concerns when they check in did nothing, speaking with the head waiter did nothing, and so forth up the chain of command - in spite of all that nothing changed) then and only then would I consider reducing the tips - and I would explain why as I was doing so at Guest Services.

As for the head waiter on departure morning, most others have covered it. Turn-over day is super stressful for everyone. In most cases of a contract end, the servers still do work breakfast but they likely were up all night getting everything in order and then have to get to their meeting place. And sometimes the head server is on his contract departure day - so he not only has to supervise but be ready to go as well.

Also, as others have pointed out, the head servers do so much that we don't see to make things run as smoothly as they do. Allergy issues, service issues, etc. - they handle all of that and unless you are experiencing those, you never know what all they do. (This is not always the case on other cruise lines. This summer on RCCL, I never saw my head waiter AT ALL, and I am gluten-free, which on DCL any allergy pretty much means you're going to be meeting the head waiter at least once. I did point out that I never met him/her in a "glows and grows" email to the main office of RCCL, and the wonderful woman I exchanged emails with was shocked and said that I should have met him regardless but especially with an allergy. So who knows if that is true for them or she was just placating me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first couple cruises, I added to the tips. The last few, I left the tips as is, but gave a small gift/treat to my stateroom Host each day. I rarely eat in the MDRs and I don't tip extra when I avoid the MDRs altogether or only eat there a few times.

My first couple cruises, I added to the tips. The last few, I left the tips as is, but gave a small gift/treat to my stateroom Host each day. I rarely eat in the MDRs and I don't tip extra when I avoid the MDRs altogether or only eat there a few times.

You don't say you're eliminating them, and I hope that is not the case. Those MDR servers work in the other food service locations (Cabanas during the day, the poolside places, they even help out with room service).