How much cash should I bring for ports and excursions?

kfnf51599

Here's how I'd decide how much money to bring:

- I make an envelope for every excursion we're going to take. On the outside of the envelope I write the name /date /provider /meeting place /contact information /whatever else matters ... and on the inside I put enough cash money to pay for that one excursion ... then I add anticipated tip money (in small bills so I have choices). On the day of that excursion, I don't have to consider how much I need -- I just take the envelope out of the safe. Since you presumably know your plans for each island, this is just a matter of collecting small bills and laying them out.

- In addition to that excursion money, I keep $50 in emergency money tucked away in the back of my wallet. This is money in case we need to take a taxi, etc. We've never actually had to use this, but we wouldn't go without it.

- Finally, we take about $50 in spending money, depending upon our island plans. We don't buy souveniers, so we don't need shopping money. You'd have to figure out approximately what you need in this department.

I do almost exactly the same thing. We almost always do private excursions and this way there is no last minute rushing around getting the right amount of money, directions, etc. together. Makes life easier.

As to how much money you will need, that's hard to answer. For some ports you may just walk around and shop or find a beach within walking distance. Little money is needed then, just for shopping, maybe a drink or meal.

Other times we find a tour right at the port; Usually we have a private tour already arranged and meet them at the dock. In that case we know exactly what it will cost.

How much you spend in port is so dependent on your own desires and finances that it is hard to advise. Use these boards or Trip Advisor for ideas of prices on various activities.

We do independent tours because the price and quality is usually much better. We do try to give ourselves plenty of time to get back to port, just in case. I normally only book a ship tour if it is a very long, involved day with lots of traveling, for instance going to Tulum from Cozumel, or someplace that there is nothing much offered otherwise.

Personally, I advise against playing it by ear. Do your research ahead of time on the ports of call board and your roll call. That way you will not waste valuable port time deciding what to do or worse yet, just shopping because there is a long line at visitor information (or no visitor information). DH and I like to look at everything that is available, excursions, tours with our roll call, independent tours and on our own to decide what to do. Especially with on you own you need to know how to get to which beach or hotel or site and of course how much money to bring. It is work, but it is part of the fun and anticipation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app