What's Better: FLL Pier to FLL 10:40AM departure vs. 11:10AM MIA?

nitroused

I know it's crazy but these are the best departure times to go to SLC on Sunday April 23, the other options are 5 hours later, and my daughter's school is the next day. Is it reasonable to make it from FLL pier 7:00AM arrival, to a 10:40AM FLL airline departure? Does leaving from MIA 30 minutes later gain any advantage? Am I out of my mind? Also, when did a domestic coach nonrefundable flight become $800? (That last question was just venting)

Any input is appreciated.

You'll have to be first off the ship and everything will have to go like clockwork for you to make it! I'd put your chances at less than 50-50.

FLL is adjacent to Port Everglades, MIA is 40-45 minutes away with normal traffic.

Both airports are absolute zoos on winter/spring weekends (through the end of April). The lines to both check in and again for security are VERY long on weekends. I've seen a lot of people miss much later flights than those!

I would never chance it... If you miss those flights and the later flights are full as they most likely will be, you'll be spending the night! Take the flight 5 hours later... You can book an excursion on the ship that takes you to the Everglades and then drops you and your luggage at the airport. That will work out perfectly for you time wise with the later flight.

And flew in/out of FLL. There is NO WAY on God's green earth that you will make the early flight. And Miami is insane! Do NOT book miami. And call AAA and see if they or anyone can get you a cheaper flight. Unless you are westcoast/alaska...that seems crazy to me for 1 person. We flew KCI(kansas city) to FLL at $191pp, booked 1st week of Aug to fly 09 & 21oct. So, unless you are talking $800 for 4 folks, then wow! Well, 3 for $800 is $266pp, so that's not bad. But, you need to just realize that you may not get off the ship fast...there have been more & more delays at the ports recently.

It sounds like your later flight would leave FLL at around 3-4pm. This isn't bad at all. If you don't book a Fla excursion, you can be lazy(like we were)and not get off the ship until they make you(literally)around 9-930am. Then it will take at least 1 hour to get thru customs anyway, minimum! Probably closer to 2-3, unless they are setup like port of Miami & you pay the nice porter to carry your bags...then the wait is about 15minutes. So, yes, at this point, you are 3-4hours from your flight...but, now, you have to get from the port to the airport...so there is another whole hour(even thought you can see the airport from the port) trying to get the shuttle or a taxi or etc,etc,etc. So now, if you are lucky, you get to the airport 2-3hours early.

But...you know you won't miss your flight; you will NOT get bumped because you are the earliest ones there; you can bring books/games/deck of cards/homework for the family & just unwind and laugh/cry/reminisce about your awesome, stress-free vacation, which will end as soon as you land back home & discover how much it cost to park at the airport, board the pets & how many bills piled up at the post office while you were gone....LOL. Take the later flight...don't end your vacation rushing to get home!!:D

excursions drop you off at 12 at the airport--you get off the ship at an ungodly hour. there is no advantage to this--you still get to wait around the airport for hours. try for the earlier flight out of FLL. maybe you will luck out and it will be delayed especially if its in the winter and is coming from a snow city.

The excursions leave at around 8-8:30am, and usually drop you at the airport between noon and 1pm... The check-in and security lines at FLL are EXTREMELY long on winter/spring weekends. If your flight is at 3 or 4pm, that works out very well time wise. If you want to attempt that earlier flight you'd best be off the ship at an even more "ungodly hour" than you would have to be for the excursions! IMO, there are just far too many things that can go wrong or cause delays to chance that earlier flight.

I understand the busy-ness of FLL on a winter weekend...what are the thoughts (or preferably experineces) of the Sunday of the holiday weekend (Martin Luther King, Jr.) - I have to assume it will be less busy on the sunday of a three-day weekend.

thanks for any input

We have a 11:06 flight Sunday December 4th @ FLL coming from Port Everglades. Was a little nervous about this and asked Princess what they thought. I was told they don't recommend any flights earlier then 10:30 and that we should be okay.

You can bet I will be @ pursers desk the day before making sure we are one of the first off. Living on the the edge I know but this the difference between a direct flight and getting home @ 2:30 versus layover and getting home @ 9:30. Hope customs is in a good mood that day.

7 ships in port that day. Any idea if the amount of ships in port has any correlation with how long it takes to clear customs?

I don't know if you are arriving a day early or not, but I just did a search on Kayak.com for flights from SLC arriving in FLL (or nearby airports) on 4/16/06 and returning on 4/23/06. If you are willing to take a redeye going to FLL and get back to SLC around 8pm, Delta.com has a $480 pp fare. It has you leaving SLC on 4/15/06 at 11:45pm on Fl# 418, connecting through Atlanta and arriving in FLL on Fl# 1793 at 9:39am on 4/16/06. Coming back you have a nonstop FLL to SLC flight, leaving at 4:49pm and arriving at 8:10pm on Fl# 503.

One thing you've got to think about is, if you miss that 10:30 or 11 o'clock flight, what are your options to get home that day? On cruise days, the flights are frequently full, especially the later flights and especially the non-stop or direct flights. While there currently seats available on the flight that would get you home around 8pm, what if there aren't any and you get pushed to the one that doesn't get home until midnight, or even worse the next day? Also will it cost you anything to get put on a later flight if you miss that earlier flight?

Personally, I think it would be worth it to take the lower airfare, take the later non-stop flight and get home late (even with young kids, bedtimes, and school the next day) rather than risking missing the flight and not knowing whether you will get home that day at all. My last cruise I missed an 11:40 flight going home (port of Miami to MIA) and there was only 1 seat available the entire day to get me home and I didn't make it home until midnight and I had less distance to fly than you. If I had been traveling with a group we would've been out of luck.

• 1 month later...

Do you belong to any of the airline "clubs"? If not you may be able to purchase a day pass. The clubs, have light refreshments,clean restrooms, TV, computers etc. These clubs are a great way to catch your breath and freshen up.

Presidents Club

Terminal 1 next to gate C-1

Daily 5:30am - 9:00pm Christmas Eve 5:30am - 7:00pm Christmas Day 5:30am - 9:00pm New Year's Eve 5:30am - 7:00pm New Year's Day 5:30am - 9:00pm

Phone: 954-377-2746

Conference rooms: Seating for 6

Guests Allowed: Yess.gif

Delta Crown Room

Terminal 2 near Gate Information Center

Members must present their membership card and Delta Air Lines ticket issued for same-day departure for entry.

Guests Allowed: Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Archived