What's the HMC post-hurricane update?

CeleBrat

From a couple of threads on the Carnival board, they checked HMC yesterday. Carnival has announced that it's scheduled stop there tomorrow will not happen. Other than that, no specific info on HMC. Reports from other islands in the area describe relatively light damage.

I would expect HMC will be accepting ships again in the near future.

Edited by CruiserBruce

From a couple of threads on the Carnival board, they checked HMC yesterday. Carnival has announced that it's scheduled stop there tomorrow will not happen. Other than that, no specific info on HMC. Reports from other islands in the area describe relatively light damage.

I would expect HMC will be accepting ships again in the near future.

Thanks for the info. I hope HMC is "back in business" soon, as I'm scheduled to visit in late October. The cancellation could be due to something as simple as tender boats not yet being returned. Pure speculation on my part. At any rate, I'm glad damage in the area is minimal. I wish we could say the same for Haiti and other islands hard hit by Matthew.

Edited by Towel Critter

The Carnival Conquest cruise will depart on Oct. 9. Unfortunately, after post-storm assessments, we are sorry that we cannot call on Half Moon Cay as the island is not ready to support our visit there. You will receive a refund for any pre-paid shore excursions and the taxes, fees and port expenses for Half Moon Cay. The remainder of our itinerary remains as scheduled.

This from the Carnival website today.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4091

Edited by RSWBADGER

Just got back from the Valor, and we made a stop there on SAT. The island looks great! None of the structures have any visible roof damage. Trees seems to be OK. If you walk down to the farther, remote end of the island, you can see where the storm caused quite a bit of beach erosion. And, there are some of the trees near the water line that are tipped over. But--that just adds to the remoteness of the island.

Otherwise--it's all good!

CeleBrat

Just got back from the Valor, and we made a stop there on SAT. The island looks great! None of the structures have any visible roof damage. Trees seems to be OK. If you walk down to the farther, remote end of the island, you can see where the storm caused quite a bit of beach erosion. And, there are some of the trees near the water line that are tipped over. But--that just adds to the remoteness of the island.

Otherwise--it's all good!

CeleBrat

That's great news. :)

We were on the 10/9 sailing of the Conquest and we had to bypass the island and head directly to Amber Cove. The Captain told us during the Behind the Fun tour that the island had sustained significant damage, so it's great that it's already back up and running.

Sadly, I am now only 2-for-5 in attempts to make it to HMC.