Noise from deck above or below.

arzier

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has had a cabin on either deck 4 or deck 6 and been disturbed by the deck 3 or deck 7 as these are both public decks.

Thank you for any information that you can give me.

No, not from 'any deck below' ( I assume you are referring to the visit class ships Q.Vic/QE). However, only occasionally , usually early morning from Joggers on deck 7 QM2, who should not be jogging until sometime after 8am/ish.:mad:

Edited by Bell Boy

I've had balcony cabins on Decks 4, 5 & 6 on QM2 and not noticed any serious /disturbing noise from above or below.

It has been reported here in the past that in cabins on Deck 4 near the Royal Court Theatre, some sound can occasionally be heard from below during daytime rehearsals and evening performances (which don't go on all night of course!).

I would avoid cabins above the Queens Room and esp near G32 if I was a light sleeper and/or in the habit of retiring early.

Equally some in inside cabins on Deck 6 have reported hearing early morning noise from galleys in the Kings Court above. Whether this has diminished since the "re-mastering" I do not know.

Occasionally someone on Deck 6 will report hearing joggers on the Deck 7 Promenade overhead. This has not been my experience when in a Deck 6 cabin. However, despite the rule "no jogging until after 8am" (I think... ?) I have on rare occasions seen selfish people running circuits as early as 6am :mad:

Personally I find QM2 a very quiet ship when I need to sleep :).

Hope this helps

Edited by pepperrn

Inside cabin deck 6 we've heard a distant-sounding scraping noise from above in the middle of the night. I think we were below the Gallery and it had to do with cleaning or carts rolling. It didn't bother us once we had identified it in our minds. Kind of like you sleep through a train whistle, after you become accustomed to it.

We do always pack ear plugs, though, just in case something does become bothersome..

Cabin A1/12075 has always been a quiet cabin and we have been in it more than once. Having just returned from New York in it, never again.

Above is a large open deck and since the refit (AKA 're-mastering' - it must have been a $150,000 a year employee to think up such an awful word normally used in the music business) they have converted the area above the cabin into a sports centre for paddle tennis.

Viewing QM-2's most recent plan of decks 12 and 13 will reveal which cabins are affected, similarly on the other side of the ship.

I would like to thank everyone for all their comments. I do feel more positive about having a cabin on one of these decks now. Although I will check out the new deck plans to see what changes have been made since the refurbishment.

Just looking to Book QE for May 2017 14 day Spain/Italy , just noticed only inside cabins on deck 1 left .

Will we be ok with this ? , 4 adults won't be spending time in cabins apart from sleeps .

Any suggestions re port/starboard side/lifts etc ?

Thanks

I disembarked QV yesterday. We had a Queens Grill deck 8 corner suite (8162) and the noise from sun loungers being dragged around above was very loud and annoying at times.

I agree and why do they sometimes have to do it at one or two in the morning?

I try to avoid cabins with deck space above, but sometimes it is difficult if you want, for example, a Club Britannia cabin on QM-2.

I also avoid cabins near the self-service launderettes, whether on the same deck, or above and below, cabins where there is a bar above (the rolling of beer barrels in the night is a pain as we have experienced), avoid cabins with interconnecting doors, cabins near lifts or opposite crew doors where staff meet early in the morning, obstructed view cabins, being near the gym or near anywhere music is playing.

All the above leaves very little choice. We get fussier as we get older as we tend to spend more time in our cabin during the day.

Just looking to Book QE for May 2017 14 day Spain/Italy , just noticed only inside cabins on deck 1 left .

Will we be ok with this ? , 4 adults won't be spending time in cabins apart from sleeps .

Any suggestions re port/starboard side/lifts etc ?

Thanks

My daughter has had these as a family (2 young children) and are wonderful for the purpose. However 4 adults is another matter, as although they are very spacious, berths 3 and 4 are sofa and pull down bunk. Would 2 insides be better? That way you also have 2 shower rooms!

My daughter has had these as a family (2 young children) and are wonderful for the purpose. However 4 adults is another matter, as although they are very spacious, berths 3 and 4 are sofa and pull down bunk. Would 2 insides be better? That way you also have 2 shower rooms!

Thanks for reply , when I had completed the online booking form I thought something was wrong as our 2 guests were shown cheaper cabin prices , when I checked further it showed all 4 of us in 1 cabin :) ( that would have been interesting )

So started again and managed to get 2 outside cabins on Deck 4 .

I've had balcony cabins on Decks 4, 5 & 6 on QM2 and not noticed any serious /disturbing noise from above or below.

It has been reported here in the past that in cabins on Deck 4 near the Royal Court Theatre, some sound can occasionally be heard from below during daytime rehearsals and evening performances (which don't go on all night of course!).

I would avoid cabins above the Queens Room and esp near G32 if I was a light sleeper and/or in the habit of retiring early.

Equally some in inside cabins on Deck 6 have reported hearing early morning noise from galleys in the Kings Court above. Whether this has diminished since the "re-mastering" I do not know.

Occasionally someone on Deck 6 will report hearing joggers on the Deck 7 Promenade overhead. This has not been my experience when in a Deck 6 cabin. However, despite the rule "no jogging until after 8am" (I think... ?) I have on rare occasions seen selfish people running circuits as early as 6am :mad:

Personally I find QM2 a very quiet ship when I need to sleep :).

Hope this helps

Totally agree about the ship being quiet.

One slight addition re noise from the Royal Court. In my experience on other ships and cruises, it wasn't uncommon for there to be occasional extra rehearsals in the wee hours - typically in cases where they're mounting a new show (which for Cunard would be every five years or so) or adding multiple members to the troupe. Again, I have no direct knowledge of the sound situation of those cabins on the QM2 and these extra rehearsals, if done on the ship, would not be regular. But it's one of the reasons I avoid cabins above a showroom as a matter of habit.

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF