Review: Celebrity Solstice January 2016 - LONG

msmusic

Thanks for taking the time to do the review. Enjoyed reading about your travels and your pictures are great. We are thinking of doing this cruise itinerary next year and on the Solstice as well. I was wondering what your thoughts are in regards to the food in the main dining room, the entertainment and the overall condition of the ship. I've read several recent negative reviews and would like to find out a little more information prior to booking.

Thank you so much for your review. It is one of the best I've read on this itinerary and was perfect timing for us as we are taking the same cruise in January. I'm using your review as my starting point for ideas and tips.

I wondered if you could comment on the weather? I know that Sydney will be hot. You mentioned fog in the Sounds and that wet suits were needed on your dolphin swim. Was there a huge variation in temps as you sailed around New Zealand? I haven't started thinking about packing yet, so haven't gotten around to checking average temps. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

Kelly

Sorry for the delay in replying to questions, I was on a cruise :)

Celebrity allows you to bring two 750ml bottles of wine onboard on embarkation. We've always done this in the past to enjoy on our balcony but found with the drink package, we were more likely to meet in a bar before dinner - mainly because I prefer cocktails to wine.

We all thought the main dining room was pretty good, some dishes were excellent and some just okay - like my own kitchen! Honestly, I have realistic expectations for food that is not being cooked to my specific order and I think Celebrity does a fine job.

We didn't go to many of the shows. My husband doesn't care for musical reviews so we tend to see the comedians (pretty good on this cruise). Probably due to the time change and busy excursion days, we were in bed even earlier than usual. There isn't a late night fun venue like the dueling pianos on NCL.

The ship seemed to be in fine condition to us. Again, I have traveled quite a bit and realize that with constant use and sea air, there will be wear and tear. Nothing specific comes to mind as a problem.

Regarding the weather, most days I was comfortable in capris and short sleeved shirts. We were very glad to have really good rain jackets for Port Arthur but I regretted having my lightweight fleece jacket along - a comfortable sweater was all I ever needed. The water in Akaroa was chilly and wet suits are standard for the dolphin swim, just due to the amount of time in the water.

Thanks for a great and timely review. We are doing your cruise in reverse from Sydney and staying at the Marriott pre-cruise. Do you know if the hotel offers a shuttle to the cruise terminal? We could walk the short distance, just wondering about doing it with our luggage.

I don't know if the Sydney Marriott has a shuttle. I'm sure you will want to take a walk over to the harbor when you arrive and you could decide then if you would want to walk it with luggage. It was a very easy walk and was much better for us than waiting in a long line for a taxi. The Rocks area there by the harbor has a lot of restaurants too so the location of the hotel was great.

I hope you have a wonderful time.