Newbie - How do you Upgrade and Pointers?

blc1975

First time cruise coming up Spring Break. Have an ocean view room (really, the tiny window - so I consider it an inside cabin). I know it is WAY too early to upgrade, but when it comes time, if I want a balcony - what do I do? And can someone tell me what to expect to pay?

I'll start w/ giving you two definitions and my story.

Upgrade is when you pay asking price for a better cabin. You lose any perks you had with the old cabin and get any current perks for the new cabin.

Upsell is when you pay less than asking price for a better cabin. You keep the perks you already had and do not get any additional or new perks.

I reserved an inside guarantee back when inside guarantees still got one "free at sea" choice and I picked the internet package as daily service charge was not an option then.

I watched prices. Prices for my cruise went down and it was the last day of the prepaid service charge option on free at sea (but it wasn't really the last day - it was extended). I paid $100 to upgrade to an obstructed view cabin. I could not upgrade to an oceanview guarantee because that was less than I had paid for my inside guarantee. Because I upgraded to an oceanview, I was now eligible for two free at sea options. I kept the internet package and added the prepaid service charges which would have been $148.50 for my cruise. So, I paid $100 and saved $148.50 :)

If I had upgraded to an oceanview guarantee, I would have lost my free internet package as that class doesn't get any of the free at sea options.

I am now watching for the balcony prices to get low enough for me to upgrade again. If they don't get low enough, then three weeks before the cruise I will start calling the upsell department to see if I can upsell at a good rate.

I upgraded after I made my final payment. The catch is that it has to be an upgrade. If you paid $800 for an inside cabin and the ocean views are starting at $700 now, you can NOT "upgrade" to the $700 cabin. You have to upgrade to a cabin with a current price of over the $800 you paid for your current cabin.

I am waiting to upsell to a balcony was told they don't release balcony or minisuite until the week of the cruise or 3 days before sail. I've been calling once a week for 3 weeks leave on 10/23. Suites can be released 4 weeks ahead but there are none!

It seems like things change from time to time. Two years ago we booked an Inside on a TA. After the final payment date I watched the prices on the website drop. We moved to a Porthole for $40 extra each but then to a balcony and then a mini-suite at no charge. The lower rates for the balcony and mini-suite were below what we paid originally. We did not get any money refunded but did get the cabin upgrade. Watch the rates multiple times a day and keep in touch with your PCC. All of my communication was by email.

Newbie here as well...first sailing coming up in November. The cruise is paid for, booked an interior room...am I able to call and ask about upgrading to an ocean view or am I stuck with the room we chose?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first NCL cruise is Oct 30th. At exactly 30 days out I called the Upsell phone number (800-625-4309) and got a Upsell offer to a Haven Suite.

I tried calling earlier than that and was told to wait until it was 30 days from the cruise date.

Edited by back-at-it