Help Looking for Best Beach in Costa Maya

pinkaboo

A family of 8 will be going to Costa Maya and we would really like it to be a nice easy breezy day at the beach. Any suggestions where there's no drop off in the water.. It's nothing worse than strolling into the water and your next step drops about 3-5 feet unexpectedly..

Oh and try getting up 3-5 feet.. Now that's the challenge.. lol

So, we're Looking for a nice beach with facilities and hopefully a little food.

Blue Kay however is not no drop off unfortunately.

What do you mean its not no drop off? When we were there there wasn't a drop off. I could walk almost all the way out to the snorkeling area close to the rocks way out and still stand up.

You can tell there wasn't a drop off even from my pictures.

PB130057%20copy-M.jpg

PB130058%20copy-M.jpg

This is me standing way out far and looking back at the beach.

PB130187%20copy-M.jpg

So where is the drop off you are referring to? Even out at the rocks and snorkeling area, I could still stand up with no drop off.

PB130210%20copy-M.jpg

I just know my brother and husband tried to freedive there before the reef and were unable to dive to the bottom. Maybe a different area as blue Kay beach is quite long. My brother actually hurt his ears it was so deep. That area definitely appears to not drop off.

I just know my brother and husband tried to freedive there before the reef and were unable to dive to the bottom. Maybe a different area as blue Kay beach is quite long. My brother actually hurt his ears it was so deep. That area definitely appears to not drop off.

I'm pretty sure they didn't try to dive at Blue Kay because it's fairly shallow in all the areas. Same with a lot of the beach areas around the Malecon that I'm aware of. We went to Nohoch once and you could walk out forever and it was only around your ankles. :)

I'm pretty sure they didn't try to dive at Blue Kay because it's fairly shallow in all the areas. Same with a lot of the beach areas around the Malecon that I'm aware of. We went to Nohoch once and you could walk out forever and it was only around your ankles. :)

I'm pretty sure they did we spend 1-2 months once or twice a year in Mahahual for the last 5 years. I assure you I know the area well. There is a gap in the reef on the corner this is where they dove unless the shoreline has massively changed in the last year it's still there they had to float a buoy to rest on

I'm pretty sure they did we spend 1-2 months once or twice a year in Mahahual for the last 5 years. I assure you I know the area well. There is a gap in the reef on the corner this is where they dove unless the shoreline has massively changed in the last year it's still there they had to float a buoy to rest on

Ok, so you are confusing. The OP ask about any drop offs "strolling into the water" on this beach. You said there was and now you are talking about being over in a corner there's a gap? :eek: I don't think that the OP is talking about going out and over to a corner of this huge beach hoping there's not a drop off somewhere and them be surprised about it. You made it sound as if this was a place they wouldn't enjoy because there's some drop off that you can't even make it to the bottom. I'm pretty sure that's not what this OP was referring to.

Yea, maybe if you go out to some corner all the way out somewhere you might find a way out and to a drop off, but for the most part someone playing and swimming in the water isn't going to be out that way and if they are out that far, yes, you can expect that there might be a drop off on any beach when you are out that far of a distance. If you take a look at google maps, you'll see there's a stone/rock wall that is in front of Blue Kay. I went all the way out to that and there's no way getting over it safely. So, anyone trying to get out would then have to go down the wall and find a spot that the rocks decreased...which looks to be past Blue Kay in either direction (either toward the dock, which is another property or the other direction toward the lighthouse and directly in line with the main street you come down)...all of which are not Blue Kay but adjacent properties.

Either way, I don't think this information is pertinent to what the OP is actually looking for ("It's nothing worse than strolling into the water and your next step drops about 3-5 feet unexpectedly."). Yes, this is a great beach. Yes, the water is fairly shallow pretty far out. No, there are no drop offs to worry about when spending a day at this beach. ;)

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to inform the OP what this beach is like and if it is suitable for their family with the question they had and answer it appropriately. I feel as though I have done that and they can make their own decisions from here. *unsubscribed*

It's fine I'm describing the location as being where you walk out towards the corner where there is a gap in the reef i didn't mean that the drop off is that far out. I was trying to explain exactly where the drop off I found was I've never argued that blue bay wasn't nice ever. I'm not sure why the lengthy argument I only stated that I experienced a drop off there.