Would you recommend the QM2 over the HAL Rotterdam?

derheld

Hi,

my wife and me are thinking about making our first cruise next year in April. At the moment we do have 2 options for our favorite target Rio, either HAL Rotterdam or QM2. But now that I read the comments, I am a bit worried, since there about 50% of the reviewer who loved the QM2 and 50% who said its been the worst time of their lives, while the reviews of the Rotterdam most people gave good reviews.

Now I am even more unsure what trip to book ... does anyone have recommendations?

(we are in the thirties, but we do not have any intentions on partying in the pools or wearing baseballcaps and shorts at dinner on either ship ;) )

Have never done HAL Rotterdam but did take my first trip on QM2 last April. It was superb. We are a couple aged 31 and 44 - no baseball caps here either:D

You can find my review if you look at all my posts for one entitled Eastbound QM2 review or similar.

This is not an easy one! I have cruised in ROTTERDAM and have visited QM2 (within a month of each other, I might add) and I like both ships very much and would not hesitate to recommend either one.

One thing that is an important factor here is what type of cabin you will be taking. If you are looking at a suite, I would go with QM2 as a suite also gains access to the Grills which means a suite on QM2 is worth more than a suite on a ship like ROTTERDAM where you are just getting a nicer cabin, and perhaps a few incidental perks. (I have not dined in the Grills on QM2 but it is pretty much universally acknowledged that the food and service are superb.) At the very least, on QM2, for your extra money, you are getting more things that people not paying that extra money are not geting... If that makes any sense.

On the other hand if you would be in a standard cabin (Britannia on QM2), that is probably not much of a factor.

On QM2 you will have a wider range of facilities and entertainment than on any other ship. On the other hand, ROTTERDAM is smaller and there is something to be said for ships which are not so huge.

But really they are both excellent ships, the chief difference - except for the Grills - being that QM2 is simply a much larger ship, for better and for worse. She is more impersonal, but offers more facilities and services and activities and entertainment and enrichment offerings than anything else out there. Really it is like comparing a huge metropolis with a medium-sized city... It is hard to say which one is better, they're just different.

I always think it is important to consider things like itinerary and price as well as the ships themselves. Especially in this case, I really cannot imagine you going wrong with either one, they are both very good choices and in particular since you have nothing to compare them to yet, it is very unlikely that you would be dissatisfied. (Experienced cruisers like me are more easily dissatisfied, since we can say that Ship X is better than Ship Y. This does not apply to first-timers!)

But while I like both of these ships a lot, all things being equal, for first-timers I would probably go with QM2. She is a ship that everyone should experience at least once... A ship that is unlike anything that can be found elsewhere. The state of ships these days is such that most people who are on their first cruise are awed by the ship, but even jaded people like me who find most cruise ships rather dull are awed by QM2! The biggest danger in choosing her is that everything else may pale in comparison... But by all means, if you are averse to large groups of people (in which case you really should try something much smaller than either of these ships - ROTTERDAM is quite large until you put her up against a mammoth vessel like QM2), or ROTTERDAM's itinerary is better, or her fares are much lower, or whatever, then don't hesitate to choose her either. I can say with confidence that she is one of the best of her breed, like QM2 a ship with which it would be hard not to be satisfied with.

I spent 28 days on the Rotterdam, doing both the Crossing and the Mediterranean together.

The Rotterdam is NOT a small ship, and it was absolute perfection. We had a jr. suite, and it was very roomy, with a more than adequate balcony.

I am booked for the World Cruise in 2007 on the QM2, and have not yet sailed her.

You can't go wrong on the Rotterdam, so compare prices and itinerary, either one will be wonderful, I think.

Here is my two cents worth:

I have sailed on both Rotterdam and QM2.

If you can afford either of the grill classes on QM2 -

I would not hesitate to do so. If money is somewhat

of an issue - then by all means take the Rotterdam.

I like both ships but feel QM2 'Britannia' may be a bit of

a disappointment for you.

Archived