Flying out of Miami after cruise docks in FLL

snglmom

Hi - We are taking a RC cruise from FLL in December. Due to flight availability, it looks like we have to fly home after the cruise from Miami. Has anyone transferred from the port in FLL to Miami airport? How long is the trip? What is the best way to travel - ship transfer or taxi? Also - what time should I book a return flight - early afternoon? Late afternoon?

Thanks!!!

Edited by snglmom

I can't answer every question but have you looked at the possibility of

there being an actual shore excursion after the cruise ends that will take you

to MIA rather than just a boring "transfer" from FLL to MIA?

We have a cruise that ends in MIA but the flight will be out of FLL and

there is an excursion that does MIA sightseeing and then takes us to FLL at

the end.

Edited to add this sample excursions starting in FLL and ending in MIA:

The Best of Miam from Port Everglades (ending at MIA airport) - FT79

and

Ft. Lauderdale Land and Sea (Ends at MIA) - FT17

Edited by mojomorris
Adding addl info

Another option depending on the time you are departing Miami is to rent a car at one of the car rental locations near the port (they have free shuttles to their office), and dropping it off at MIA.

That way you can sightsee, etc.

There is a train you can catch from FLL to Miami. We ran into a couple that said they do it all the time. Super easy, comfortable, etc. They just took a cab from the port to the airport and then to their train. I've not done, but think it is worth looking into. Maybe someone with more info on this board will weigh into this option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, the train is great from FLL. The train ends at MIA airport Leaves every hour or so. There is a free shuttle to the train. You just have to look at the schedule and work out the details. Clean Safe and fun. Done several times

Hi, the train is great from FLL. The train ends at MIA airport Leaves every hour or so. There is a free shuttle to the train. You just have to look at the schedule and work out the details. Clean Safe and fun. Done several times

I'm assuming this person is talking about Tri Rail. If this is the case Tri Rail does run every hour from the Dania Beach/Griffin Road station. I have never seen a free shuttle from Port Everglades to the station and take a short taxi to the station. The ride from Ft L to the Miami Airport station is about an hour and probably costs $5 per person with no luggage restrictions other than you wheel your luggage on and off. The Miami Airport Station has a free shuttle to the airport. All this would take you about two hours. Hope this info helps.

Google TriRail for schedules.

All of my family lives in Miami, so I take the TriRail to get to the airports (FLL & PBI) from Miami instead of making them drive me and not endure the horrendous traffic. They have a free shuttle from the airport, but I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to just take a cab to the station. Uber is always going to save money too! Anyways, it's an inexpensive option and I'm sure if you have kiddos, they will get a kick out of the double decker train!! It ends right at the rental car center at MIA.

Edited by DisneyDatknee

In April we sailed from Port Everglades but flew home from Miami. We did a one way car rental picking it up at FLL and returning it to MIA. We had a late afternoon flight and spent the morning at the outlet mall. The retail was cheaper than a shuttle or taxi would have been

In April we sailed from Port Everglades but flew home from Miami. We did a one way car rental picking it up at FLL and returning it to MIA. We had a late afternoon flight and spent the morning at the outlet mall. The retail was cheaper than a shuttle or taxi would have been

We're going to do the same thing. We sail in to Miami and fly out of FLL. Just checked and a car for the day will be about $40. This will allow us to sneak in a little more beach time before we have to head home.