Cane Garden Bay for snorkeling??

jlk806

The excursion we booked on DCL for Tortola is the Forest/Beach excursion because my 8 year old is obsessed with rain forests (and many other geographical types of places) so he is excited to do the semi-rain forest hike, and then the excursion includes 1.5 hrs at Cane Garden Bay Beach. Just wondering if the beach is good for snorkeling so we can bring our snorkel gear? Any tips appreciated we have never been to Tortola. Thanks!

Hi. We've been to CGB several times. Always very crowded when a ship is in and usually has waves breaking so don't be too disappointed if it isn't possible to snorkel. When we were in Tortolla last February, we went on a trip to 'Treasure Island' and the snorkelling there was great. Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ScribesWtr

Tortola is a gorgeous island and a tour is a great idea. Unfortunately CGB is not a good bay for off the beach snorkeling. Brewers Bay would the beach of choice for that.

Another option is taking a tour with one of the drivers at the pier, you could ask at the visitor center or the coordinator if one would be best for the rainforest tour, then have the driver drop you at Brewers. I'm sure your son would be pleased with this option. The tours are typically 3 - 4 hrs and $25pp.

Good luck!

Tortola is a gorgeous island and a tour is a great idea. Unfortunately CGB is not a good bay for off the beach snorkeling. Brewers Bay would the beach of choice for that.

Another option is taking a tour with one of the drivers at the pier, you could ask at the visitor center or the coordinator if one would be best for the rainforest tour, then have the driver drop you at Brewers. I'm sure your son would be pleased with this option. The tours are typically 3 - 4 hrs and $25pp.

Good luck!

DO you know of any tour companies we could book something like this with in advance?

We snorkeled at Brewers Bay last fall. Loved it! No waves, calm and shallow forever!

We didn't take an excursion, just walked off the ship and took a taxi for about $20 each (both ways). I would love to return, Brewers Bay was the most amazing, relaxing afternoon! No loud music, actually no music at all, no crowds and zero vendors other than the chair vendor.

20151203_105157-M.jpg

Snorkeling is the left side of the cove, next to the rocks!

DO you know of any tour companies we could book something like this with in advance?

We've not used them but BVI360 offers some land tours and a snorkel option, I see they also have a Sage Mountain hike excursion that might interest you -

http://www.bvi360.com/land-tours

Another that was available is no longer showing up, sorry...But the drivers at the dock offer different options and most folks are very pleased with these tours. Try bvi360 to see if they are still available if any of those interest you.

The excursion we booked on DCL for Tortola is the Forest/Beach excursion because my 8 year old is obsessed with rain forests (and many other geographical types of places) so he is excited to do the semi-rain forest hike, and then the excursion includes 1.5 hrs at Cane Garden Bay Beach. Just wondering if the beach is good for snorkeling so we can bring our snorkel gear? Any tips appreciated we have never been to Tortola. Thanks!

Since the excursion you've booked and want to take ends with a stop at Cane Garden Bay Beach, look forward to enjoying the pretty beach ... just don't plan to snorkel there.

Have a GREAT time! :D

Edited by OCruisers