Post Baltic Cruise - Amsterdam or not??

sglenc

We're booked on the 8/13/06 Star Princess cruise out of Copenhagen. We plan to get to Copenhagen a day early and see the high lights. After the cruise, we had plan to fly to Amsterdam and spend about 2 days there, before flying home. One problem seems to be our luggage. Flights from US allow 2 large suitcases per person (checked baggage) plus a carry on. On the internet, I've found a reasonable flight from CPH to AMS but "Sterling" (airline) only allows 1 large suitcase per person. I know we won't have 4 large suitcases for the two of us but, we could have more than two. Any advice will be appreciated. (I know, pack light)

Has anyone done this iterary and how did it work? We're using FF miles for the trip so we're not totally flexible.

Thanks - Steve

As you can see, the airlines in europe have much tighter restrictions on luggage than american air carriers do. If you are a little adventurous, you might want to see about renting a car and driving to Amsterdam. My wife and I also used FF Miles so we know how difficult it is to fly on them. Another thing you might want to ask your FF airline carrier is to see if there is a return itinerary that goes thru Amsterdam and ask them for a return from Amsterdam a couple of days later. When my wife and I returned from Germany last year, using FF miles, there wasn't a flight available on the second leg which was from London to Boston. Our first leg was from Frankfurt to London. So I asked them if there was an available flight the next day and there was so I was able to stay in London for the evening. Luckily I have a cousin who lives there and we stayed with her.

Steve - I don't know if this will work for you, but in September we were on that sailing and we flew at 10:00 to Amsterdam on Northwest (KLM) and took an extended layover in Amsterdam and then flew on to Detroit. You might want to check that out. You might be able to extend it for a day or so, I would call them and ask. I believe that Northwest uses the 50# weight limit like most of the other carriers, we only had carry on so it wasn't an issue for us. We really enjoyed our time in Amsterdam, in fact we are flying in to Amsterdam prior to our next cruise in May.

If the european portion is included in a transatlantic ticket, you will have the free baggage of 50 lb.per suitcase (2 p.p.).

Only if you buy it separate and on a airline that is not in the same alliance you will have 20kg. p.p.

We spent 3 days in Copenhagen before the cruise and 3 days in Amsterdam after. We flew on Sterling. I was very concerned about the luggage restrictions on their website. My DH and I each had one large suitcase and two carry-on pieces. Our friends checked in 3 pieces. No one said anything to us. We were the only ones checking in at the time and the person behind the counter may just have been kind - I do not know. But I worried about our bags being over weight and not being able to carry on my 2 smaller bags. All went well. Amsterdam is wonderful. We were there for a week a few years ago and I wanted to go back.

Archived