Bahamas- CCL or RCI

crisp1

We're considering a last minute 3 day cruise. We've cruised on the Imagination,Victory and Conquest, as well as Golden Princess. I've considered the Liberty- but- only 2 days- I'll never get relaxed in time. I've narrowed it down between the Fascination and Majesty of the Seas. I realize that they're older ships- so is the Imagination. My real concern is cabin size for 3 of us ( outside- no balconies available), food and most important- entertainment. How does RCI compare to CCL. CCL seems to have more live 'rock' and jazz, with decent pool-side bands. What about RCI. How does the food in the dining rooms compare. Does either have a sandwich shop? Thanks for any insight

I will be curious to know the answers..,.

We are thinking of a 3 day next year with Orlando...

So far I found out that RCCL rooms are 122 sq ft and Carnival is 180 sq ft

We have been on the Fantasy and loved it!!

wonder what the price difference is?

I was looking at a short cruise this fall and I liked the Majesty's itinerary far better. Nassau, CoCo Cay (one of the Berry Islands, Little Stirrup Cay) and Key West. That's the 4 day itinerary though. Which I think is great. I leave on the 14th! :D

If you like beaches you'l love CoCo Cay (RCI's private island). I didn't think much of Freeport, I have always done excursions in that port and don't really need to go there again. I'm not a shopper, but I've heard shoppers like Freeport. Nassau and CoCo Cay beats Nassau and Freeport hands down in my opinion. Only caveat is if the seas are rough, they skip CoCo Cay, and this time of year that's about 50% of the time. :(

I think on such short cruises neither line puts forth their best effort in the food and entertainment categories. I know RC does not serve lobster on the short cruises and Carnival does. I know the Majesty does not have any of the specialty restaurants like Johnny Rockets and Chops.

Carnival's staterooms are larger but how much does that matter on a 3 day cruise? It's not a priority for me.

Gail

Been on both ships and the Majesty wins hands down. The cabins are a little smaller on the Majesty but for a short cruise it works. I also like having Coco Cay in place of a sea day. It is much better than Nassau. Food and entertainment are about even. The Majesty has two good size pools. I have some photos in my link below that show the pools on the Sovereign which is the Majesty's sister ship and they are basically the same.

Ours would have to go out of Port Canaveral to do an Orlando trip next trip..

your link didn't come up!!!

I know that the Soverign was recently updated!!

I do like the idea of a private island!!

any other info on RCCl would be great!!!

Ours would have to go out of Port Canaveral to do an Orlando trip next trip..

your link didn't come up!!!

I know that the Soverign was recently updated!!

I do like the idea of a private island!!

any other info on RCCl would be great!!!

Are you talking about my link? If so I am not having any problems with it at all. By the way, the Sovereign looks great.

I have been on the Majesty and others, including a couple you've been on. I have to say the Majesty is the wrost I've been on. I don't understand how the Radiance of the Seas and this ship can belong to the same company, but they do. The Majesty rooms are run-down...cigarette burns on the sink, writing on the wallpaper, tiiiiiiny. The dining room has these cheap rickety chairs and I felt like I was at a budget wedding reception. The food was okay and pretty much the same as you'd get on any RCI or CCL ship. This ship was a mess and I am not kidding when I say that it literally smelled like raw sewage on our floor (the bottom floor). Luckily the room itself didn't stink, but getting there was like running for cover. This was for the entire weekend!

The crew seemed worn out. I think this has to do with meeting two new groups every week instead of one. But they really didn't give a flying rat's behind about who we were or what we liked.

I'm not a snob, but you start to get spoiled after a lot of cruises and honestly, this was not worth the money at all. I would have rather saved up and gone on a better cruise.

First of all let me say that we LOVE Carnival! Our first 5 cruises were on Holiday,Ecstasy, Imagination, Destiny & Triumph. However, we just got back from Port Canaveral and a 4 day trip on the Sovereign. The rooms are small, but that is about the only down thing I can think of. We went prepared to be disappointed but they proved us wrong. Food was great, activities are good. Plenty of quiet space to relax. Crew was wonderful, courteous and patient. (we had opportunity to visit the medical facility). CoCo Cay is fabulous-Nassau is worth visiting at least once. Consider this ship & Itinerary.

thanks now I got your link to work!!

In your opinion the only downside would be the small rooms!

I really would like to try the private island!!

The size of the rooms is the only downside but again for a three or four day cruise they work just fine. I was on the Sovereign in May and then again in July. I liked it that much. Again, Coco Cay makes the trip IMHO.

The size of the rooms is the only downside but again for a three or four day cruise they work just fine. I was on the Sovereign in May and then again in July. I liked it that much. Again, Coco Cay makes the trip IMHO.

I think Sovereign has been refurbished in the not too distant past and the Majesty is overdue for one. So I've read anyway. So I am guessing the Sovereign is probably looking a lot spiffier. I wanted to go out of Miami for the cheapie airfares though, so I didn't even look at the Sovereign. I was just looking at my pics of CoCo Cay from my first cruise.....hope I enjoy it as much the second time around!!

I have been on the Majesty and others, including a couple you've been on. I have to say the Majesty is the worst I've been on !

The crew seemed worn out. I think this has to do with meeting two new groups every week instead of one. But they really didn't give a flying rat's behind about who we were or what we liked.

I'm not a snob, but you start to get spoiled after a lot of cruises and honestly, this was not worth the money at all. I would have rather saved up and gone on a better cruise.

Yikes! We are booked on Majesty in February. I'm really spoiled from having sailed on RCI ships such as Mariner of the Seas, Brilliance and Jewel. It sounds as if Majesty is a giant step down.

Yikes! We are booked on Majesty in February. I'm really spoiled from having sailed on RCI ships such as Mariner of the Seas, Brilliance and Jewel. It sounds as if Majesty is a giant step down.

One has to keep in mind that you are not on a Voyager or Radiance class ship and that this is one of the oldest ships in RCI's fleet. I understand that she is to undergo a major refurb in 06. I have seen lots of good recent comments about the Majesty so I say go with your expectations in check and you should be fine.

Well moving this thread to the Bahama's board made no sense at all. Love how these Carnival hosts have started a huge power trip. I guess we all have to do something to feel important.:rolleyes:

You know, I wondered about that!! I didn't *think* it was here initally! Obviously the person who moved it didn't really read it as it's more a question of what line offers a better Bahamas cruise experience, and the actual ports are only a part of that. I could see if it was just a question about the private island, but there is a lot of good info about the pros and cons of both CCL and RCI. Personally, I find moving posts to be very disruptive.....they need to be WAY off-topic before it's appropriate IMNSHO! :rolleyes:

Gail

(hmmm....just had the thought....could it be because there were a lot of pro-RC posts?? :confused: Kind of a shame if that was the reason.)

You know, I wondered about that!! I didn't *think* it was here initally! Obviously the person who moved it didn't really read it as it's more a question of what line offers a better Bahamas cruise experience, and the actual ports are only a part of that. I could see if it was just a question about the private island, but there is a lot of good info about the pros and cons of both CCL and RCI. Personally, I find moving posts to be very disruptive.....they need to be WAY off-topic before it's appropriate IMNSHO! :rolleyes:

Gail

(hmmm....just had the thought....could it be because there were a lot of pro-RC posts?? :confused: Kind of a shame if that was the reason.)

This is one reason that more and more posters have moved on from Cruise Critic to other sites. I don't think it had anything to do with RCI, just someone trying to show their authority.

I'm the OP. Thinking a discussion about CCL & RCI's older ships had merit. Some of the posts talked about itineraries, but I still don't think this thread has anything to do with the 'Bahamas'.... I'll ask again. Does CCL give the pins on short cruises? Unfortunately, quantity overules quality. One reason we all come back

Archived