Maho Beach and Marigot - Bernard, taxi or other?

Scott2.0

Hi there, we'll have a Tuesday on the island from 9:30a-6pm. Last time I was there, we missed Marigot so I'd really like to spend some time there at the market, the shops and then for lunch. Following that, a couple drinks on Maho and hopefully a plane sighting sounds fun.

As wonderful as Bernard's Tours sounds, the thought of being on a tour van sounds like it may be a bit more touristy than I'd like (or maybe I'm completely wrong!). Should we give the tour a try, simply take taxis around the island or perhaps a different tour company?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Scott2.0

We did a tour with Bernard's Tours in St Maarten and enjoyed the tour. I don't know what you mean by too touristy, but the island lives from tourism.

On the tour that we did there were 7 passengers and the driver/guide in a modern mini bus. We liked watching the planes land at Maho beach and we had plenty of time in the market. However, it isn't one of our favourite Caribbean islands, it is a bit brash.

We did a tour with Bernard's Tours in St Maarten and enjoyed the tour. I don't know what you mean by too touristy, but the island lives from tourism.

On the tour that we did there were 7 passengers and the driver/guide in a modern mini bus. We liked watching the planes land at Maho beach and we had plenty of time in the market. However, it isn't one of our favourite Caribbean islands, it is a bit brash.

Thanks for the insight! I just meant that being in a tour van with strangers being carted around from sight to sight doesn't sound ideal on paper. I realize it may actually be a great way to see the island though.

Hi there, we'll have a Tuesday on the island from 9:30a-6pm. Last time I was there, we missed Marigot so I'd really like to spend some time there at the market, the shops and then for lunch. Following that, a couple drinks on Maho and hopefully a plane sighting sounds fun.

As wonderful as Bernard's Tours sounds, the thought of being on a tour van sounds like it may be a bit more touristy than I'd like (or maybe I'm completely wrong!). Should we give the tour a try, simply take taxis around the island or perhaps a different tour company?

Thanks in advance!

If you leave right away for Marigot via taxi and don't have an extended lunch then I think that you will have the time to get to Maho before two and stay for an hour - an hour and a half and taxi back to the ship in time. The good news is that taxis are readily available at the port, Marigot and Maho.

St. Maarten won the faviorite eastern caribbean port by cc members in September of this year. I just read that earlier today and the diversity of a day such as you mentioned helped it do just that I think. :)

If you leave right away for Marigot via taxi and don't have an extended lunch then I think that you will have the time to get to Maho before two and stay for an hour - an hour and a half and taxi back to the ship in time. The good news is that taxis are readily available at the port, Marigot and Maho.

St. Maarten won the faviorite eastern caribbean port by cc members in September of this year. I just read that earlier today and the diversity of a day such as you mentioned helped it do just that I think. :)

Great plan, thanks! I think we may enjoy doing just that.

• 5 weeks later...