Traveling with Parkinson

baja mama

My DH has Parkinson and has had it for 10 years. He is doing good now but we have planned a cruise for April 2018 and it is 20 nights. We cannot do it any sooner due to financial situation. I know cruise ships have wheelchair cabins but he does not even use a cane yet and I would not want to book a wheelchair cabin and then someone with a wheelchair could not get one.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help

Lynn

My DH has Parkinson and has had it for 10 years. He is doing good now but we have planned a cruise for April 2018 and it is 20 nights. We cannot do it any sooner due to financial situation. I know cruise ships have wheelchair cabins but he does not even use a cane yet and I would not want to book a wheelchair cabin and then someone with a wheelchair could not get one.

Lynn

Might you be able to reserve two cabins, one regular one in a location you like, and one handicapped (also hopefully in a location you like)?

Put one of you as the first passenger in each, and just add anyone as the second.

Make SURE you keep track of any deadlines for changing passenger #2 with no penalty AND cancelling with no penalty. By then, you may have a lot more information, and you'll be releasing one of those cabins.

This will mean two deposits, for perhaps a year or more. But then you'll have the other deposit "back" to apply to the rest of the cost of the cabin you keep.

And I'd strongly recommend travel insurance that includes a waiver of the exclusion for a pre-existing condition.

That way, if a doctor states that your husband is not able to go, you'll get your money back.

NOTE: He must be able to travel when the insurance is started, and you should probably get the insurance right when you make the deposit, so his current diagnosis won't be a future problem.

This might be a situation where you want to get CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage. It costs more, but usually gets you 75% of your money back if YOU just decide it won't work, but there is no medical necessity.

Try calling Steve at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com and explain this situation to him.

(We always get our insurance through them. We usually use Travel Insured, and we've had two medium/large claims, which were paid with no quarrellng.)

Good luck, and we hope you both have a great time.

Oh, also look for cabins that aren't too far from elevators and similar part of ship where you'll most likely be going, such as the dining rooms.

Lynn

Parkinson's is very unpredictable and there's no way of knowing how you're DH's condition will have progressed by April 2018. Would not book two different cabins as was previously suggested. Would book only an accessible cabin.

Reason's being :

• Entrance to cabin and bathroom can accomodate a wheelchair
  • zero threshold shower
  • Since balance is a major concern with Parkinsons the accessible bathroom is fully equiped with grab bars by the toilet and in the shower.
  • shower has a fold down seat.

Bottom line you need to think long term not short term when booking a cabin. Accessible cabins are not just for wheelchair users. Anyone with a mobility disability can book an accessible cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I called my TA today and booked a wheelchair accessible cabin. I got a Lanai cabin on the Lower Promenade deck on Holland America. This gives us a door out onto the deck and 2 lounges that are only for us to use. I think that will be good if my husband does not feel well at least he can sit outside and watch people and the view.

Thanks so much

Lynn