Mobility Scooter question

dixielady

My husband and I are planning to book a cruise, which leaves from Canada and ends in the United states. So my question, he needs a mobility scooter, if we bring ours from home does the airlines allow you to put these in cargo? If not, if we rent one in Canada and the ship does not return to that port, we can not return it.

Anyone that uses a mobility scooter that can answer this question, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

:)

Edited by dixielady

My husband and I are planning to book a cruise, which leaves from Canada and ends in the United states. So my question, he needs a mobility scooter, if we bring ours from home does the airlines allow you to put these in cargo? If not, if we rent one in Canada and the ship does not return to that port, we can not return it.

Anyone that uses a mobility scooter that can answer this question, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

:)

You can most certainly bring you're own scooter onto aircrafts. It does not get pre-checked as cargo when you check in your luggage. Rather it gets gate checked and can be driven directly to the door of the plane. Ground crew than collects it and places in the baggage area of the plan along with any other mobility equipment and baby strollers.. At final destination the ground crew than retrieves it and brings back up to the jet way.

If you prefer to rent one than it's best to rent from RCCL's approved vendors that will deliver it your cabin on embarkation day and will be picked up from your cabin on disembarkation day. The cruise line will provide wheelchair assistance on both embarkation and disembarkation.

RCCL's approved vendors are http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com and http://www.CareVacation.com

Note CareVacations is the same as Scooteraround

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank both of you for help and answers. This has been a weight lifted off my shoulders as my husband was not sure he would be able to do all this traveling and getting though airports.

planning our 40th and didn't want to go without him....:eek::D

Denise:)

If you take your own scooter, ensure you clear it with the airline that you intend to book with. They all have different rules and regs regarding model, type, size and type of battery (must be sealed). The airline only allows a finite number of scooters per flight. When you check in, despite being told it wasn't needed, you may be asked for a specification sheet that is unique to your make and model of scooter. Fortunately I had it with me and I now have a laminated version tucked in to the backpack on mom's scooter. You can get this info from your instruction booklet or online from the company. Take extra keys for the scooter. I have extra one taped under the seat. Also, put an address label on EACH part of the scooter as they could take it apart and you don't want it mixed up with the pieces of someone else's scooter.

When you disembark the plane the scooter may be there waiting for you or it may be taken to "special services".

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Thank both of you for help and answers. This has been a weight lifted off my shoulders as my husband was not sure he would be able to do all this traveling and getting though airports.

planning our 40th and didn't want to go without him....:eek::D

Hopefully you know this but just in case your husband can ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport

Also from Illinois ..... GO CUBS !

Hopefully you know this but just in case your husband can ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport

Also from Illinois ..... GO CUBS !

We have been discussing this and we are thinking maybe just renting. Less hassle. Yes we are aware of the wheel chair assistance at the airport. This is why we are thinking maybe just renting at this point.

Not a big sports person but a south sider here but your right GO CUBBIES. Hopefully they will pull off the next 2 games.....would like to see them win this.

If you take your own scooter, ensure you clear it with the airline that you intend to book with. They all have different rules and regs regarding model, type, size and type of battery (must be sealed). The airline only allows a finite number of scooters per flight. When you check in, despite being told it wasn't needed, you may be asked for a specification sheet that is unique to your make and model of scooter. Fortunately I had it with me and I now have a laminated version tucked in to the backpack on mom's scooter. You can get this info from your instruction booklet or online from the company. Take extra keys for the scooter. I have extra one taped under the seat. Also, put an address label on EACH part of the scooter as they could take it apart and you don't want it mixed up with the pieces of someone else's scooter.

When you disembark the plane the scooter may be there waiting for you or it may be taken to "special services".

Thanks for all this information, I most likely would not have thought about all this. But like I said to the above poster we may just do a rental, it seems like a lot less hassle at this point.

But I do appreciate all the information I have received on this. It has been very helpful.

We have been discussing this and we are thinking maybe just renting. Less hassle. Yes we are aware of the wheel chair assistance at the airport. This is why we are thinking maybe just renting at this point.

Not a big sports person but a south sider here but your right GO CUBBIES. Hopefully they will pull off the next 2 games.....would like to see them win this.

Also South Sider! Not a big sport person but always root for any Chicago team that makes the playoffs.

I always rent and not bring mine. A friend of mine has had 3 scooter replaced by airlines as damaged beyond repair.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Here I was going to offer you a free scooter rental for the length of your cruise, along with a free 5 nights in the specialty restaurants, and OBC of $1000.00.

BUT...hope you enjoy your cruise.

Sincerely,

The Cleveland Indians:D