Question for Peregrina about Edinburgh?

perlgirlnj

I posed a question in the British Isles ports of call section and then it occurred to me to look at your very worthwhile blog to see if you had insight on it. Lo and behold, you'd spent your day in Edinburgh almost exactly how I plan on spending our day there. Do you have any thoughts about the order of our day (options 1 or 2 on the thread below)? And if the walking tour is a worthwhile use of time?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51452424#post51452424

We're on Viking Sea (Into the Midnight Sun) next June/July. We have a different port (Rosyth) than you. My TA tells me there will be a shuttle from the port into town but I don't have details about where, when, how frequent, etc.

Sorry to stalk you over here; I don't know if you're reading the Ports of Call section but I continue to see your helpful hints over here!

Thanks.

You found me!

I read your other post in Ports of Call. I don't know either of those two tour companies so can't comment. We did things entirely on our own using the HOHO bus, which was easy from the tender dock at Newhaven. Things will be different docking in Rosyth and will have some advantages and some disadvantages over Newhaven. Advantage: ship will be docked; no tenders to deal with. Disadvantage: it is across the firth from Edinburgh and the trip back and forth will take longer; it is basically a cargo port not a passenger ship port. Having been there and having done that, the longer ride to Rosyth is worth not having to tender on the Firth of Forth. The port of Edinburgh cruise website was full of helpful information.

Given a choice, I would have done Holyrood Palace (more art) over the Edinburgh Castle but the Palace closes during Holyrood Weeks because the Royal Family is in residence (last couple of weeks of June; confirm closure dates on the Palace website).

We did the National Gallery in the morning (when we were freshest) with lunch at the museum restaurant and then the Castle and a stroll down the Royal Mile in the afternoon. This worked very well for us but then we like a laid back pace with plenty of time to take in the scenery, watch the world go by and even take an unplanned detour. The National Gallery is relatively small and we did it all in less than two hours.

You found me!

Given a choice, I would have done Holyrood Palace (more art) over the Edinburgh Castle but the Palace closes during Holyrood Weeks because the Royal Family is in residence (last couple of weeks of June; confirm closure dates on the Palace website).

HOW DID I MISS THIS? Sorry for yelling but somehow it escaped me that I could see both ART (a favorite interest) and ROYALTY (a heretofore secret interest) at one time in Edinburgh. I guess I knew about the palace but I did not know about the Queen's Gallery. And looking at the map, it was further afield and I was trying to keep it all close together. I think we could make it work. . . . . IF. . . . IF. . . . we're not visiting during Holyrood Week, which it may well be. I can't find the dates for 2017 yet and since we are coming on July 6th, there's a pretty decent chance that we'll be out of luck.

We did the National Gallery in the morning (when we were freshest) with lunch at the museum restaurant and then the Castle and a stroll down the Royal Mile in the afternoon. This worked very well for us but then we like a laid back pace with plenty of time to take in the scenery, watch the world go by and even take an unplanned detour. The National Gallery is relatively small and we did it all in less than two hours.

I think we might jettison the walking tour if the Palace/Galleries are open. We'd then pretty much follow your schedule except try for Holyrood House instead of the castle. That will free up the time to also be more relaxed about it. I'm going to have to wait and see when the Royal schedule for 2017 is posted.

I told DH when I started looking at the ports that the problem with Edinburgh is it's a 4 day (or more) city and we're only there for a day. I'll take it as my introduction to Edinburgh, to be followed up by a longer visit when we come back for our scotch distillery land-based trip!

Thanks for the information; as you can see, I'm pretty excited about it.

HOW DID I MISS THIS?

Information overload!!

Holyroodhouse Palace will list the closing dates on its website. Right now, they are focusing on the Christmas holiday closing dates information, so I would not expect to see the Holyrood week closure until after the first of the year. If you won't be there until July 6, you may be in luck.

One suggestion...don't miss St. Giles Cathedral -- and its beautifully carved Thistle Chapel. (The mother church of Presbyterianism -- John Knox is buried out back -- now a plaque in a parking lot!)

Yeah. In retrospect, I regret not having gone inside as we meandered down the Royal Mile. Next trip! :)