Bahamas in Jan with 6 and 3 year old

CYLA21

The amount to spend on what we do is part of why I'm trying to plan this a little better than if it were just my husband and myself. Their grandparents are wanting to do something for them for Christmas...so I'm trying to figure it out to let them know something.

The amount to spend on what we do is part of why I'm trying to plan this a little better than if it were just my husband and myself. Their grandparents are wanting to do something for them for Christmas...so I'm trying to figure it out to let them know something.

Ok, well then my answer is "it depends." As another poster mentioned Adastra Gardens is an easy bus or taxi ride away and it is a small outdoor zoo in Nassau. Across the street from the fort. Both will be a mile(?) to the right of the pier. If you are adventuresome, pile on the local bus; if you prefer your personal space, take a cab. They have their own website so easy to research specific costs, but if memory serves it would be under $50 for your family.

As others have noted, the beach may or may not be a viable option depending on weather. The water is going to be cooler - maybe 70 ish? You would be best to look for something through the cruise line for this, simply for ease.

Your last option, and the most expensive is going to run you $350-400 for a day at Atlantis. They have things other than just the beach and you can look at their facilities on line for the water park and aquarium etc.

Keep in mind that Nassau is a VERY busy port. There are usually several ships in port, and exiting the port can be very crowded with lots of people trying to sell stuff from goods to excursions. Hang tight to the kids, or better yet, put them on your back for a piggy back ride to get through the throng.

Sadly, there isn't much for little ones in Freeport other than the beach. It is about a 15-20 minute cab ride over to the resort area where there are a few hotels, a small open air market and a public beach. Again for ease, you may want to book through the cruiseline.

We have enjoyed the Bahamas, but they truly are out least favorite ports. We are not booking a cruise to go there; we have one booked, but that is simply to sail our favorite ship (Sunshine) from our home port (Norfolk). We may not even get off the ship. Who knows!

Or, we may revisit the best thing we ever did in Nassau - use the People to People program (google it), where we spent a lovely day with a couple who showed us the "real" Nassau. Our boys really enjoy meeting locals and trying new foods with them, but they were much older - like 10 and 16, so can enjoy the history that comes with a fort, plantation, rum factory etc. When we return in October, we have thought of reaching out to them and seeing if they are available for lunch.

I guess that is my way of saying don't have high expectations for these ports. Go with a good attitude and that you will enjoy your family time doing something simple.