Swodog94's Eastern Caribbean Cruise on PRIDE 23-30 Oct 16: A Review and Pictures

swodog94

if you don't mind how were the packages that they offered price wise, I wasn't aware they did the wine ones and we are sailing in April 2017. I would consider this. thanks in advanced.

I don't recall what each package cost. I bought what is billed as the top-of-the line wine package for $193 (5 bottles). The wines are very overpriced and fairly mediocre. I don't recall every wine in the package, but it includes the Hess Select Cab, and the Caymus Conumdrum white (probably the best of the bunch). I also recall a Melini Chianti that was horrible, and a malbec of some sort that was drinkable. The wines in the lower packages include a bunch of stuff with screw tops and stuff that is usually around the $5-7 price point at your local wine shop (ex. Barefoot wines) but you'll be paying around $20 instead.

My wife was really unhappy with the wines this time and told me we probably shouldn't buy the wine package next time. The reason I do it however is because of the convenience. I've found that if I order a glass of wine in the MDR, it takes forever to arrive...I might be past my appetizer and on to my entree by then. And if I want a second glass...well, good luck with that. So I'd rather have a bottle right away and fill my glass at my leisure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What a great review, thank you. We are booked on the Pride for next October, our first time on her, so many people really like this ship. Just off the Vista repo cruise and looking forward to a smaller ship.

Thanks for reading! I think you'll really like Pride. I, on the other hand, am looking to go the other way and try one of the new, bigger ships like Vista!

Thanks for reading! I think you'll really like Pride. I, on the other hand, am looking to go the other way and try one of the new, bigger ships like Vista!
We just sailed Vista in the Med this past summer and are booked on Pride (third time) for July to go to Bermuda. There's lots to like about Vista - for me, the outdoor promenade on deck 5 was a major draw. Lots of places to sit and enjoy a beverage or two - or dine outside at one of the for-pay restaurants, pretty unique to Vista. We have some great sunset photos from deck 5. Two what I would call "choke points": the comedy club and the main lounge. Both are way too small for the potential audience. We waited in line 40 minutes for a 30-minute comedy show one night, and never made it to another show. Not a make or break for us - we're happy to go enjoy other available entertainment. However, it almost felt as if they tried to cram too many activities on the ship. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat, though.

I headed down to the Butterflies Lounge and got there a couple of minutes late. I arrived while everyone was standing to honor our flag while someone sang the Star Spangled Banner acapella.

DSCN1784-S.jpg

Cruise Director Steve MC'd the event and did a great job. He was up front about being a native Canadian, but expressed great admiration for military veterans regardless of nationality.

DSCN1786-S.jpg

The turn out for this event was strong. The Butterflies Lounge was basically full.

DSCN1785-S.jpg

Steve had the service song for each service played and asked that veterans of that service rise and be recognized while their song played. One gentleman rose twice...he had served in the Army and the Coast Guard! That dude is my hero! Steve then asked that all spouses, moms, dads, and family members of veterans rise and be recognized. In my opinion, these were the most important folks in the room, since none of us can succeed if we don't have a strong support network. I've worn the uniform for 27 years, and for 24 of those years my wife has been by my side (21 of those married). I could not have succeeded in all my sea tours and deployments had she not been my rock (I love you honey!).

After that Steve opened up the floor to anyone who wanted to say anything. Many folks got up and spoke from the heart, but I was especially touched by the Vietnam era vets. Our country treated them horribly as they returned from war, but they have benefited from the respect and love our military has experienced the last 15 years. They expressed their heartfelt appreciation to Carnival for hosting the event and providing the opportunity for folks to recognize veterans for their accomplishments and contributions. It was very emotional, and several folks who spoke were in tears. But I was also heartened by one veteran who rose and introduced his young nephew who was scheduled to report to Army boot camp in two weeks. I'm very near retirement, and I'm always encouraged that young people continue to be willing to step up and place their lives on the line to defend our nation.

Thank you Carnival for doing this!!!:)

I'm enjoying your review, live in Maryland and always sailed out of Florida and considering the Pride for my next cruise.

My husband I attended this Appreciation of all branches of service on the Conquest. I was moved by the stores that people told about the sacrifices made by their family while their spouses served. We purchased the dog tags to support military families. My husband is retired from the Army and it was great how they all were honored.

Thank you for your service to our country!

Thank you so much for this amazing review. We are down by PAX and are looking forward to our first Baltimore cruise in August. The last cruise was a 10 hour drive to the port, so this should be a lot easier.

Thanks for reading! Yeah, this should be a much easier drive for you. Hope you enjoy your cruise in August!