ASAP Vista - medical facilities capability and freezer inthe room and wine :)

anka-morfin

Hi, It's a last-min call because our cruise is tomorrow, omg. But I was wondering what kind of medical capacity Vista has especially for kids since it's supposed to have a lot of kids on board? Can they diagnose and treat ear infections, strep throat, asthma attack? Do they have a nebulizer? Just wondering how many supplies and meds I should take (for example we have inhaler but the big nebulizer machine I'm questioning? As well as strep test kits, fever reducing meds etc?).

And a small question about if there'sa freezer section in the room's fridge? Just need to bring our own small freezer bag.

Also does it make sense to pre-buy the wine online now to be delivered to room or just buy it on board? ANy price difference?

I have not been on the Vista but one would assume it is equipped at least as well as other Carnival ships. I have a friend that just recently cruise a different ship and was dx with bronchitis and received several breathing treatments and antibiotics. She is a nurse and felt she had excellent care. Strep kits are common and for an ear infection an MD need only to look into the ear.

If I were you I would pack a few over the counter meds as a visit to the infirmary is not part of your cruise fare. My friend, mentioned above, had over $1000 of treatment while on board. She had travel insurance which will reimburse her after she files a claim. Most insurances do not cover treatment out of the US.

I don't know about the freezer section in the mini fridge.

Too late to order wine. Must be done at least two days before.

Have a wonderful cruise and let us know how you like the new ship.

You would need to read your policy to see what is covered and what is not. Also call your health insurance company and see what their procedure is.

As for fridges/freezers, my son is on a refrigerated med. we rented a medical cooler from guest services our first day ($70ish deposit that was refunded when we returned it on the last day). When we needed his ice packs refrozen at the end of the trip, I took them to guest service the last night and picked them up when I dropped off the cooler the next day. Worked great for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi, It's a last-min call because our cruise is tomorrow, omg. But I was wondering what kind of medical capacity Vista has especially for kids since it's supposed to have a lot of kids on board? Can they diagnose and treat ear infections, strep throat, asthma attack? Do they have a nebulizer? Just wondering how many supplies and meds I should take (for example we have inhaler but the big nebulizer machine I'm questioning? As well as strep test kits, fever reducing meds etc?).

And a small question about if there'sa freezer section in the room's fridge? Just need to bring our own small freezer bag.

Also does it make sense to pre-buy the wine online now to be delivered to room or just buy it on board? ANy price difference?

First thing I would do if I were you is take a deep breath and have a great time. Most likely, non of those things will happen to your kids.

We had to visit medical for a sudden illness on Fantasy. My son (4 years old at the time) had a sudden respiratory infection that made him have difficulty breathing in the middle of the night. They had a nebulizer machine, breathing treatments, and steroid shots readily available. On a side note, he received very good care from the ship's doctor. I was impressed and thankful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

And remember you can bring a bottle (750ml) of wine per adult - those will be much cheaper than anything you get on-board plus you have the whole liquor store to choose from.

As an example, we had a gift card from our room steward for 25 dollars off a bottle of wine so we got a 35 dollar bottle in the steakhouse for our anniversary. It was a nice Malbec that went deliciously with our steaks but I can get the exact same bottle at my local Total Wine and Spirits for 8 bucks. I didn't mind spending 10 bucks for an 8 dollar bottle but I woulda balked at paying 35 bucks for an 8 dollar bottle.

Have a great cruise!

Carnival will rent you a medical cooler to keep items cold. The deposit is around $70 to your sign and sail card. When you return the cooler at the end the cruise, you get the deposit back.

We needed to freeze ice packs our last night. We took them to guest services and they froze them for us. We then picked them up before getting off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all! We needed freezer to freeze ice packs to we can cool the milk for the baby while in ports. But we managed without. We also didnt' need any medical facilities :) but I've heard they're very good!

OP, looks like you are already back from your cruise. Nice to know you didn't need the medical facilities.