Cozumel

ShipsAhoy425

Hi all! I am trying to figure out a plan for Cozumel and looking for any suggestions/advice you can give me! Myself and my parents will be sailing to Cozumel, and both parents are in a scooter. I believe I have gotten transportation figured out (getting a private van/driver), but my question now, is what should we do? My dad said he would like to ride around and see the city and all, but I'd like to visit/do something if it's possible as well. We can hire for 3,4 or 5 hours, so I'm trying to do something worthwhile. I have seen some people go to Chakanaab, and do different things, but it's hard to determine if it is truly accessible, as most posts talk about using a manual fold-up wheelchair, and both of my parents will be in a scooter. I know they can't get in the water, but I would love for them to just see it. My nephew and niece will also be with us, so I figured they may enjoy some beach time too. Last time we went, (their 1st time) we just scooted around the shopping area at the port and that was it, so this time I'm hoping for more.

I'm not real sure where to tell the driver to take us, I don't want to look like an idiot when we get in the van :(

TIA for any tips/advice/suggestions/anything!!

I have been to Chankanaab with my scooter. Besides the beach (you can borrow a beach wheelchair, first come-first serve) there is an interesting walk through a jungle like area with quite interesting displays. There are food and souvenir areas as well. As far as the beach, if you get the beach wheelchair, there is an area without steps that is accessible with the chair. It is next to the kiosk where they rent snorkel equipment. I enjoyed the park.

The local taxis have established rates for every place. They usually charge an additional $5 for scooters. Determine where you want to go before you seek a taxi and then just let whoever is directing taxis know that you will need one that can transport the scooters.

Like someone else mentioned, Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park is accessible. We enjoyed an afternoon there. The taxi was a van and they fit both scooters in the back. We just told the guy directing taxis where we wanted to go and he got a taxi for us. Coming back to the ship, it was basically the same.

A number of years ago, we did have a taxi take us completely around the island. At that time, San Gervasio was not accessible. However, looking at some current pictures, areas might be accessible. Regardless, it could be a rough ride. The taxi stopped various places for us, but we did not get out everyplace.

The malecon downtown is worth a ride past and there are all those tourist traps on the other side of the street. The Museo de la isla de Cozumel is fairly new. They are in the process of up-grading and anticipated that the museum would become accessible. I do not know if they are currently accessible.

On our last trip, we scooted from Puerta Maya terminal into town. Definitely not the best road conditions, but doable. It is approximately 2 ¾ miles, bit of a walk for anyone on foot. Punta Langosta terminal is in town. SSA Mexico terminal is next to Puerta Maya.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

General info that OP may find helpful :

Cozumel – Docked Port

One of the most popular Caribbean Cruise Destination Cozumel disabled access can present some accessibility challenges such as steep ramps, steps at restaurants and not fully accessible public washrooms.

Nevertheless, Cozumel wheelchair access is generally sufficiently good enough that disabled cruise passengers can visit a wheelchair access beach, Tulum and several shopping destinations.

Pier

• Long Pier walk to entrance of shopping area just outside the pier
  • Can be a long line waiting to board the ship and there are no seats/benches inside the dock area.

General information

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants in the shopping area just outside the pier and in town may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.
  • Only 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.
  • Be aware of mopeds, motorcycles and bicycles. They’re prevalent and drivers won’t always yield to pedestrians