I'm So Confused!

mnovak61

Today is final payment due date and I still don't understand this travel insurance business. I talked to Steve at the trip insurance store and I still don't understand. Maybe some seasoned traveler here could make a suggestion and I will look into it further. We are both 55 years old, I have type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent) no other medical conditions. We have one parent who is older and could have something come up that would make us cancel the trip. My biggest fear here is the weather because our cruise is scheduled for Jan 28th and we will be flying out of Milwaukee. Does this give enough info for somebody that understands trip insurance to make any suggestions?

We don't travel without travel insurance. You can never tell what might happen. To us is it's like having car insurance, you hope to never have to use it

We live in Colorado. No matter the season we go to our port city at least one day early, usually two

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What specifically don't you understand? In my mind, the most important thing Travel Insurance covers is Medical treatment, extraction and repatriation. Many folks think canceled trip coverage is most critical, but I advise my clients in medical coverage being critical. Remember even if you have insurance, in most cases, you will need to pay upfront for whatever you need and then insurance reimburses you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Today is final payment due date and I still don't understand this travel insurance business. I talked to Steve at the trip insurance store and I still don't understand. Maybe some seasoned traveler here could make a suggestion and I will look into it further. We are both 55 years old, I have type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent) no other medical conditions. We have one parent who is older and could have something come up that would make us cancel the trip. My biggest fear here is the weather because our cruise is scheduled for Jan 28th and we will be flying out of Milwaukee. Does this give enough info for somebody that understands trip insurance to make any suggestions?

If your biggest fear is weather preventing you from joining the cruise on time pick one with a strong "missed connection" benefit. For example, this is from a TravelSafe plan:

"MISSED CONNECTION

If You miss Your Trip departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination

is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to:

a. any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the

Common Carrier);

b. documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the

point of departure;

c. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot.

We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the

Confirmation of Benefits, for:

a. Your Additional Transportation Cost to join Your Trip; and

b. Your Prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel Arrangements."

So you'd have $2500 per person for the cost of catching up with the cruise plus the value of whatever days of the cruise you missed. Any additional hotels/meals/phone calls/etc would be paid by a separate travel delay benefit.

This plan would let you cancel for an illness in the family that's serious that you have to stay home and take care of the situation. TravelSafe does not apply the pre-existing medical condition exclusion to NON-traveling family members, which is nice. And your diabetes, if the medication you're taking has not changed in the last 180 days and the doctor would call you "stable" you're probably not pre-existing either.

http://www.travelsafe.com or through insuremytrip and the tripinsurancestore.com also offers it.

Edited by cruiseco

I'm disappointed to hear that Steve was not able to make things clear enough to understand. Like you, hard as I try, I can't figure out the whole travel insurance thing. Was planning on contacting insuremytrip, but now I'm hesitant. I hope you get things figured out! (And wait'll you see how difficult all this is when one person is over 85!)

If your biggest fear is weather preventing you from joining the cruise on time pick one with a strong "missed connection" benefit. For example, this is from a TravelSafe plan:

"MISSED CONNECTION

If You miss Your Trip departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination

is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to:

a. any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the

Common Carrier);

b. documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the

point of departure;

c. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot.

We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the

Confirmation of Benefits, for:

a. Your Additional Transportation Cost to join Your Trip; and

b. Your Prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel Arrangements."

So you'd have $2500 per person for the cost of catching up with the cruise plus the value of whatever days of the cruise you missed. Any additional hotels/meals/phone calls/etc would be paid by a separate travel delay benefit.

This plan would let you cancel for an illness in the family that's serious that you have to stay home and take care of the situation. TravelSafe does not apply the pre-existing medical condition exclusion to NON-traveling family members, which is nice. And your diabetes, if the medication you're taking has not changed in the last 180 days and the doctor would call you "stable" you're probably not pre-existing either.

http://www.travelsafe.com or through insuremytrip and the tripinsurancestore.com also offers it.

I've been on 10 cruises but they were all in the summer or spring break with the kids. This time it's Jan 28th and who knows what could happen. I think for the most part we are both pretty healthy but you never know what can happen. I talked to Steve again and we can have everything covered for something like $138 total for both of us so I think that's the price for peace of mind and it should be worth it. Thanks to you all for the quick responses and great help!