Scenic Jewels of Europe in July/August?

Aussies With Time

Hello,

as river cruising newbies (in fact, any cruising) I wonder if booking on Scenic's Jewels of Europe in late July and early August is tempting fate regarding river levels?

We'd probably travel from Amsterdam to Budapest and then return to the UK at a leisurely pace via the Czech Republic, Germany and France.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Aussies With Time,

welcome to Cruisecritic. If you have not had a look at them already, may I recommend the stickies by our hostjazzbeau at the top of the page? They contain excellent information and some great advice.

As regards the river levels, I would not say that you are tempting fate. I am only familiar with the Rhine, but the Main and Danube are somewhat similar in their river level pattern. It has become a bit more uncertain in recent years, but normally July and August are months with still sufficient water left over from spring snow melt and rain. The rivers tend to dry up a bit more in September and October after the lack of rain in Summer and the relative heat. If you like the warm weather in Summer in Europe and do not mind the Europeans being on holiday themselves, July to Mid August is a nice time to go.

notamermaid

Most children in Germany have returned to school by the End of August, the UK usually has the first Monday in September as "back to school" day, France is similar, so are other countries, especially the ones with warm climates like Italy. You can look up specific dates here: https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/

notamermaid