diving without certification question

essgee_ca

I have recently completed all my theory (including passing my written exam) and pool skills for my open water scuba certification but the water has gotten too cold for my open water check-out. My dive master assures me I will still be able to dive on the cruise. He says that as long as I tell them I have completed all the pre-check-out stuff and they test me in the pool with various scuba skills (and I am able to do them) that I will be able to dive on an excursion. Anyone heard of this or know if it is true?

S.G.

...unless you make special arrangements with the excursion operator. This is called an Open Water Referral by some certification programs. My son recently completed his certification in two stages - pool work and classes here in Oregon; open water portion completed in Hawaii. Just needs to be arranged ahead of time. My wife did here pool and classes in Oregon, and the open water portion was completed in Hood Canal in Washington. I got my certification - class, pool, and open water while on a Princess cruise several years back (I don't recommend this)

By the way, it is never too cold... unless you are in the Great Lakes area perhaps, in the winter! <grin>

If you really want to dive, and cannot arrange an open water referral while on the cruise, you may be able to arrange a Recreation or Resort Dive; this is a class and guided dive to give you a dive experience. My son and I have done this before actually geting certified.

The open water referral is extensive, and requires 2 days to complete typically, with several dives and class work required - mostly to make sure you are prepared to demonstrate the skills necessary, and to show competence.

I know about PADI; other programs may have slightly different requirements. Bottom line, check with the cruise excursions; if not offered by the cruise line, then consider the recreation dive, or contact a dive operator separately for an open water referral.

My dive master assures me I will still be able to dive on the cruise. (this isn't completely accurate) He says that as long as I tell them I have completed all the pre-check-out stuff and they test me in the pool with various scuba skills (and I am able to do them) that I will be able to dive on an excursion. Anyone heard of this or know if it is true?

S.G.

It is kind of true, but is isn't nearly as simple as you make it sound. First, you will need a Referral letter from the instructor who did your class work and pool dives. Without the referral letter, no reputable dive operator will just take your word that you did the work. Then, depending on which cruise line and ship you are sailing on, you might be able to finish the certification thru the ship. Princess offers the referral certification as does RCI on their Voyager class ships. The Princess scuba program has a website: http://www.newwaves.com/

If your ship doesn't offer a referral certification, and you still want to complete your certification, then you will need to make arrangements on your own with dive operators on 2 of your stops. You will still need that referral letter.

If you still want to dive without completing your certification, then you will only be allowed to do a resort course, which is also known as Discover Scuba.

What cruise are you planning and what are the stops?

My wife did here pool and classes in Oregon, and the open water portion was completed in Hood Canal in Washington.
Me too. Those were the only 4 dives I've done wet in cold water. I've done lots of dives locally since then, all of them dry. So, you are right, it is never too cold to dive. Some of the best diving I've done was in British Columbia with a water temp of 44f.

Thanks for the information. I was afraid that might be the case. :( My open water check-outs were supposed to be yesterday and today. However, since I have a job that doesn't offer as much flexibilty as the others who took the course with me, I was the only one left who hadn't completed the dives (others were able to go throughout the last couple weeks) and I suspect that this is part of the reason they cancelled the dives also. Mind you, I am in Ontario (north of Toronto) and I am told that the water temp, at the surface, a week and a half ago was 42F!

I do want to finish my certification, but don't want to spend the extra $$$ to finish on the cruise, especially since I have already paid for this (it was included in the cost of the course).... Guess I might be snorkeling instead.... sigh.........

S.G.

I'll be on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas. I'll be doing the Western Caribbean with stops in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.
You can do the open water checkout dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, if you go thru private operators. I can understand wanting to get what you payed for however. You are still not restricted to snorkeling. You can do snuba or a discover scuba. Snuba is usually less expensive than diving and discover scuba usually isn't much more than a regular dive trip.

IF you rent the proper wet suit or "dry suit" you can still certify in 42 degree water - Chicago girl here - Got certified in a quarry around 42 degrees last April - Yup -it was cold, but had proper wet suit on, including booties, gloves, hood, everything was covered - - - IT took me a whole Saturday and Sunday to do it, I was the ONLY girl, but passed and made it through. . . It was one of the toughest, most exhausting thing, I have ever done, and was glad I finished. . . But it was worth it next time I went to Cozumel. . . Good luck - if there is a will, there is a way.

I have recently completed all my theory (including passing my written exam) and pool skills for my open water scuba certification but the water has gotten too cold for my open water check-out. My dive master assures me I will still be able to dive on the cruise. He says that as long as I tell them I have completed all the pre-check-out stuff and they test me in the pool with various scuba skills (and I am able to do them) that I will be able to dive on an excursion. Anyone heard of this or know if it is true?

S.G.

I would hope you would not risk it. There is a world of difference between the pool and ocean. It has been many years since I was certified, and I do not know what is included in open water checkouts nowadays... but for instance, buddy breathing at 40 ft in open water vs 8 ft in a pool is a different experence.

My first instructional dive at 40 ft in the ocean I spent holding a rock because I did not have sufficient weight on my belt.

Mind you, I am in Ontario (north of Toronto) and I am told that the water temp, at the surface, a week and a half ago was 42F!

S.G.

My kids and I got certified October last year and the temp was 40'F! We live in Kelowna BC and our dives were lake dives with only 10 feet visibility. Yes the water was cold and the conditions weren't ideal but we all wore full wet suits complete with hoodies, booties, and mitts. Of course, the instructor wore a drysuit!:rolleyes:

My kids were 11 and 14 at the time, and if they can do it then so can you!;) Besides its better to learn in cold water with less than ideal conditions in the long run! Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sandie

Thanks for all the continuted suggestions and information. It was not really my choice not to do the open water check-outs so the decision was out of my hands. It was my instructor that decided not to do it. I agree chasetf, I would hate to end up 100ft down in the ocean and not be comfortable or confident. I think I will stick to snorkeling, or maybe snuba. I don't think I want to sit through all the instructional stuff on the discover scuba on my cruise. I'd rather be outside in the warm sunshine and doing other things. BTW, chasetf, buddy breathing is not a testing requirement anymore, now we use alternate air source breathing although we did practice in the pool.

S.G.

I'll be on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas. I'll be doing the Western Caribbean with stops in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

You might check for a mix-n-mingle link for your cruise and see if anyone on board as a passenger is a PADI instructor and willing to take you diving to complete your open water dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am an instructor and would do this for someone in the right circumstances. You might get lucky!

If you bring your referral paperwork on the cruise, you can probably do a Discover dive or two without the instructor making you sit through the class session. Your first open water dive would be equivalent to the Discover Dive and your referral paperwork makes you eligible to jump right in and get wet!

Some things to think about.

Good luck and find a way to keep diving. It's an awesome sport.

IF you rent the proper wet suit or "dry suit" you can still certify in 42 degree water - Chicago girl here - Got certified in a quarry around 42 degrees last April - Yup -it was cold, but had proper wet suit on, including booties, gloves, hood, everything was covered - - - IT took me a whole Saturday and Sunday to do it, I was the ONLY girl, but passed and made it through. . . It was one of the toughest, most exhausting thing, I have ever done, and was glad I finished. . . But it was worth it next time I went to Cozumel. . . Good luck - if there is a will, there is a way.

Did you use a wet suit in Cozumel and what time of year did you go?

Dove in Cozumel and Grand Cayman with Wetsuits - Went February 2005, and August 2005. February - needed it because it was cold, and because of Fire Coral. IN August - wore wetsuit for protection against Jellyfish in water - everyone who didn't have on a suit got stung - lots of vinegar was flying on the boat afterwards. . . . lol

dee

Archived