thinking of booking Summit to Alaska

travelteam

I've never cruised Celebrity before. TA got us a good price on May 20th out of Vancover. What's the ship like? Any suggestions of best cabins for viewing? any suggestion will be appreciated. MY HB is handicapped and uses a wheel chair. Never know what to book that gives us that security - and special treatment.

I took the Summit up and back last May and enjoyed every minute of it. Weather mostly was sunny and warm.

Don't worry about best place to view from-- Plenty of places on decks to see everything. When we went to the Hubbard Glacier, the ship did a 360 so tht everyone in his cabin on either side had a good view. most of the way there was plenty to see on either side.

I've never had a handicaped room, but understand they are very conveneient. The only tender port we had was at Icy Point Strait -- so most easily accdssible.

Book and enjoy.

love

joan

Don't hesitate, book the Summit right now and ask for an aft handicapped room. It's concierge class and will be perfect for your husband and you. My husband also uses a wheelchair for longer walking. I always rent a scooter for him and leave the wheelchair on the huge verandah.

I really like 8176. Is the cruise that you're looking at leaving from Seward or Vancouver? Any questions that you would like to ask, I'll try to answer for you.

I was on their re-positioning cruise in Sept 2005. First time on Summit, having cruised on HAL previously.

Celebrity compares very favourably to HAL but falls short in a few areas. Little information about the port we are visiting; more of an emphasis on where to shop at the ports. The ship gets a rebate from the stores. As well found the dis-embarkations at each port to be disorganized as were several excursions. On HAL these operated like clockwork because the Cruise Director was everywhere and I guess took responsibilty to ensure there were no hiccups. On the Summit the Cruise Director was nowhere to be found and his alter ego, the activities director was pretty inept in the disembarkation at each port..

A fellow passenger agreed with me but told me not to hold that against the line. She had been on several Celebrity cruises and she felt the Summit was the worse in the area just mentionned. The passenger felt the shortcomings were the responsibilty of the Cruise Director who personality wise was also below par. At the end of each show he was nauseatingly repetitive and slightly condescending.

Otherwise had a wonderful time on the cruise. Service was exceptional as well as friendly at the restaurants , with the cabin staff and all the service staff including the Guest relations, the Bank and the photographers. Have already booked another Celebrity cruise for 2006 but not on the Summit. Will go on the Infinity.

The name of the cruise director on the Summit was John Howell.

I agree with TMM9 about disembarkation problems. But, did not have any problems disembarking in Vancouver. It was very organized and we didn't have any problems. However, disembarking in Los Angeles was AWFUL. I don't know why? San Juan is super. I don't know that it's the CD's fault because John was on the Summit in Alaska also. Maybe the port has something to do with it.

I've never cruised Celebrity before. TA got us a good price on May 20th out of Vancover. What's the ship like? Any suggestions of best cabins for viewing? any suggestion will be appreciated. MY HB is handicapped and uses a wheel chair. Never know what to book that gives us that security - and special treatment.

Guess I feel qualified to answer this post. We saled last year on the 2/50 Summit to Alaska and have booked the 5/20 Summit for next spring as well (next year she leaves on Sat. instead of Friday so it's actually the same exact date!. You will love Celebrity and in my opinion is preferred to Holland America. We all have our prefered lines and opinions!

By the way, very often Celebrity lowers rates and puts Senior and Resident rates for early season sailings. Make sure you check for this because last year our rates came way down by final payment time, even with upgrading to a Conceriege class cabin!

Summit is a wonderful ship. Very easy to get around. No dead ends where "you can't get there from here." Three sets of elevators, one which extends out over the port side (see photos of the ship on celebrity.com). Also, on the website, if you view the deck plans you can see all the accessible cabins, which are larger, but do not cost more. They are saved specifically for people like you who need them. They have them in all categories. They are marked with an isosoles triangle, as opposed to the equilateral triangle which connotes an upper berth. Even the lowest category cabins are wonderful and roomy for storage space. Tell us which category you are thinking of and perhaps someone will recommend a particular cabin. Judyfsf has already told you about the aft CC cabins which can't be beat if that is your price range.

Summit is a wonderful ship. Beautiful, clean, wonderful service in all departments. Your husband will be well taken care of. Artwork everywhere. Cozy tables for viewing on deck 4, or in the lounges, or on the buffet aft balcony for early morning whale watching. Very easy to get around. No dead ends where "you can't get there from here." Three sets of elevators, one which extends out over the port side (see photos of the ship on celebrity.com). Also, on the website, if you view the deck plans you can see all the accessible cabins, which are larger, but do not cost more. They are saved specifically for people like you who need them. They have them in all categories. They are marked with an isosoles triangle, as opposed to the equilateral triangle which connotes an upper berth. Even the lowest category cabins are wonderful and roomy for storage space. Tell us which category you are thinking of and perhaps someone will recommend a particular cabin. Judyfsf has already told you about the aft CC cabins which can't be beat if that is your price range.

I agree with TMM9 about disembarkation problems. But, did not have any problems disembarking in Vancouver. It was very organized and we didn't have any problems. However, disembarking in Los Angeles was AWFUL. I don't know why? San Juan is super. I don't know that it's the CD's fault because John was on the Summit in Alaska also. Maybe the port has something to do with it.

I sailed on the same cruise as Judy last month...Hi Judy:)

Disembarking was awful for you? I know it was different than the

usual in FLL but I thought it went pretty quickly. Once we left

the Theater, we went back to the cabin to pick up our carry-ons

and then on to the Cinema to wait for our colors to be called.

Once that happened it only took me about 1 minute to find my

luggage. I think the whole process was Los Angeles and not

Celebrity.

And I thought John was terrific too. I doubt he had anything to do

with disembarking.

Thanks for all the info. The Summit leaves from Vancouver, and goes north. I'm not sure where it terminates, but it does do Icy Point.

I'm more concerned with the ports. Seems as the trips stress uneven walkways and uphill paths. That's a lot of pushing for a little lady.

Does anyone have further info on the port trips. I'm looking into a CC cabin. Will check out the deck plans to see what is available.:D

Archived