documentation for illnesses

We were first-time cruisers on the Thomson Celebration in September and both suffered from the norovirus on different days. We both received injections and were confined to the ship which meant we missed two of our five paid for excursions. Thomson refunded the cheapest but are disputing the other despite the Serbian doctor handing our tickets to reception.

My question is surely as we were given injections etc we should have received written and dated letters from the medical section which would have solved our problem but we got nothing. My partner was poorly for several weeks afterwards and needed doctor's treatment. How would I have proved our illnesses had I needed to claim on travel insurance which Thomson insist on with all bookings. Is this general practice? I would have thought medical procedures must surely be documented for that reason or is this just a way for Thomson to grab more of your money. We have been back six weeks and they still have to answer our query

Were you billed for medical treatment - which I would expect is standard ?

That should show up on your onboard account statement as evidence to support your claim.

Try an email to : directors@tui-uk.co.uk if you don't get this sorted.

Not that it'll be any consolation - six weeks is not a long waiting time in Thomsons complaints scenarios.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

No, we were told the medical treatment for norovirus was free and we have not been billed for that. We were told by the doctor that the money for those excursions we missed would be refunded and reception told us they had the tickets and a note of them on their screen and it would take 7-14 days for the refund. Nothing happened, the shop in which we booked them couldn't help and when I complained to Thomson HQ they sent their stock 28 day reply. Presumably all they have to do is check with the ship's medical records to verify our illnesses - I would think legally they would have to keep these. Why take six weeks to deal with the matter?

Stupidly we took the drinks passage too and obviously in the circumstances we got little value out of that.

Hi dorothy09 sorry to hear about your problems, think we may have been lucky as we were on the Celebration in Sep. If you have no joy with WCM idea try Resolver on MoneyMakingExpert.com its an independent body that sends your complaint at no cost direct to the right place. The site opens up with a search box just put Thomson in and it will give you a list. I haven't done it with Thomson, yet, but after many weeks trying with a Vodafone problem tried it and they replied within days;).

Good luck.

Thanks for the idea, will try that one.

I was a journalist in Fleet Street for many years so will be contacting some former colleagues too. Did not realise Thomson were so slow in dealing with complaints and think they hope you will go away if they drag it out.

No chance, if enough people highlight their crass attitude might just convince them their customer service is poor.

The norovirus did not altogether ruin what was our first cruise but did inhibit it somewhat and it cost us two paid for excursions. It's not the money, it's the principle.

We also bought the drinks package which in the circumstances was a waste of money!.