Americans on Thomson?

Hello,

I recently went on a holiday to the Dominican Republic and met people who ere traveling with Thomson, and after much investigation, it is certainly a company I would love to use, both the holiday and cruise portion. If I wanted to go on a European cruise or a European holiday, I could fly to a big airport like Gatwick or Manchester and then board my Thomson flight to my destination. But with the Caribbean, it makes no sense for me to fly transatlantic twice just to go with a certain group.

I have heard some people mention that they have seen Americans on their cruises/flights. Do any of you know how I could go about this? I would be looking to book just a hotel or just a cruise. Would you recommend their phone lines/customer service section?

Thank you to everyone in advance!!!!

Hello,

I recently went on a holiday to the Dominican Republic and met people who ere traveling with Thomson, and after much investigation, it is certainly a company I would love to use, both the holiday and cruise portion. If I wanted to go on a European cruise or a European holiday, I could fly to a big airport like Gatwick or Manchester and then board my Thomson flight to my destination. But with the Caribbean, it makes no sense for me to fly transatlantic twice just to go with a certain group.

I have heard some people mention that they have seen Americans on their cruises/flights. Do any of you know how I could go about this? I would be looking to book just a hotel or just a cruise. Would you recommend their phone lines/customer service section?

Thank you to everyone in advance!!!!

I believe it is possible to book a Thomson cruise only.

Try this link, you can ask them direct, http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/send-us-an-email-preTravelNoBooking.html

This and similar questions have arisen here more than once in the last couple of years.

It is possible for an American (or any other nationality presumably) to book a Thomsons cruise - however they don't make it easy for non Brits with their user unfriendly practices in this respect.

Ref. a hotel package holiday - IMO you would be as well just booking the hotel direct and making your own flight and local travel arrangements.

A cruise on one of their ships is different obviously.

One of the issues flagged up in the past was problems trying to pay using credit cards not issued by a UK bank - why that should be so is beyond me. That difficulty may now have been resolved, I'm not up to speed on it ?

There is no requirement AFAIK to have to travel to the UK to join a Thomson flight to the departure port - you could fly direct on a cruise only deal.

Anyway, I'd be happy to enquire on specifics if you wish and report back.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

I believe it is possible to book a Thomson cruise only.

Try this link, you can ask them direct, http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/send-us-an-email-preTravelNoBooking.html

Thank you, I will definitely try this website!

This and similar questions have arisen here more than once in the last couple of years.

It is possible for an American (or any other nationality presumably) to book a Thomsons cruise - however they don't make it easy for non Brits with their user unfriendly practices in this respect.

Ref. a hotel package holiday - IMO you would be as well just booking the hotel direct and making your own flight and local travel arrangements.

One of the issues flagged up in the past was problems trying to pay using credit cards not issued by a UK bank - why that should be so is beyond me. That difficulty may now have been resolved, I'm not up to speed on it ?

There is no requirement AFAIK to have to travel to the UK to join a Thomson flight to the departure port - you could fly direct on a cruise only deal.

From what I was finding, I found many hotels that Thomson offers in many European areas that go for around $550 US Dollars for an all-inclusive, and that's insanely cheap. I know it has to do with Thomson buying in bulk at reduced rates, and selling them out to people all around the UK, that's why I brought up Holidays.

But thank you for bringing up those concerns. I will definitely investigate them. Obviously, closer to when I actually find a cruise I like. With Thomson homeporting in Barbados, La Romana, and Montego Bay next winter, I definitely will be looking.

Thank you so much for your help! :D

From what I was finding, I found many hotels that Thomson offers in many European areas that go for around $550 US Dollars for an all-inclusive, and that's insanely cheap. I know it has to do with Thomson buying in bulk at reduced rates, and selling them out to people all around the UK, that's why I brought up Holidays.

I've booked several tourist hotels direct that Thomsons offer in packages - there is next to nothing in the price differences in my experience - just use the hotel's dedicated website.

Incidentally, I believe you might be able to book a hotel only from Thomsons, no package involved. A mate of mine did that a couple or so years ago and got a good deal - not sure if that's their permanent operating practice - I suspect they may offload spare capacity as the date of occupation approaches, so a late booking is worth considering if you can manage such.

The key of course is flights - I prefer a package, however if dates are unsuitable a DIY solution is almost as good.

Have you been to La Romana previously ? We went there as our first port of call on our debut cruise - once was too often, never again !!!

Edited by WeeCountyMan

I've booked several tourist hotels direct that Thomsons offer in packages - there is next to nothing in the price differences in my experience - just use the hotel's dedicated website.

Incidentally, I believe you might be able to book a hotel only from Thomsons, no package involved. A mate of mine did that a couple or so years ago and got a good deal - not sure if that's their permanent operating practice - I suspect they may offload spare capacity as the date of occupation approaches, so a late booking is worth considering if you can manage such.

The key of course is flights - I prefer a package, however if dates are unsuitable a DIY solution is almost as good.

Have you been to La Romana previously ? We went there as our first port of call on our debut cruise - once was too often, never again !!!

I was actually there last month in an all-inclusive, and I absolutely LOVED it! Granted, the actual town may not be the nicest, but the surrounding areas are very pristine. Isla Catalina is one of my favorite places that I have ever been to on the planet. Such a gorgeous strip with a relaxed feeling, and the government preservation has kept the island in great condition. The reefs around it are good as well. I would like to visit Isla Saona, visit the nearby rainforest (again), and maybe even head over to Santo Domingo for the day if I were to visit by boat.

I know people like you who do not like La Romana. It appears dirty and boring, which in ways it actually is. But the people in La Romana are true and genuine, not covered up or "Americanized" to appease the tourists. And the areas and beaches there are not packed like Punta Cana, and the hotels are just as good. I would love to go back, I am actually planning another land trip!

I recently booked a back to back cruise with Thomson and I don't have a British credit card - no problem at all! I checked what I wanted online and then just phoned the phone number given on the front page of the cruise section on the website: - 00 44 203 636 1980. I spoke to a very helpful lady called Anne who booked my cruise and then recommended that I charge the deposit to my Spanish debit card so as not to incur any costs, as a credit card payment would involve a charge. I booked my cruise and added on the cabin number that I wanted and it was all confirmed by email and then by a proper confirmation sent by post. Very quick and efficient! I'm sure that anyone from any other country could do the same. I obviously booked my flights independently to arrive at the departure port (Málaga) the day before the cruise.

Edited by Lanzalady

I recently booked a back to back cruise with Thomson and I don't have a British credit card - no problem at all!

This issue was flagged up several months ago by an American lady who wanted to book a Thomsons cruise - apparently she got incorrect information from the individual who dealt with her enquiry.

Very interesting information - I made 2 separate Cruise Only bookings via phone earlier this year (first in April and the second a few weeks later) with different Thomson reps and each time was told that I could not use my Spanish Debit card only a UK one. Maybe Thomson have changed the rules or, more likely, it is another case of different staff members having different information.

Thank you for posting.

Very interesting information - I made 2 separate Cruise Only bookings via phone earlier this year (first in April and the second a few weeks later) with different Thomson reps and each time was told that I could not use my Spanish Debit card only a UK one. Maybe Thomson have changed the rules or, more likely, it is another case of different staff members having different information.

Thank you for posting.

The day after I paid the deposit on my debit card, I did get an email from the lady who booked my cruise and she asked if I could send her a photo copy of my debit card to prove that it is a debit card and not a credit card. I did this and she told me that everything was now confirmed.

The day after I paid the deposit on my debit card, I did get an email from the lady who booked my cruise and she asked if I could send her a photo copy of my debit card to prove that it is a debit card and not a credit card. I did this and she told me that everything was now confirmed.

This saga gets weirder as it goes along.

Thomsons can't differentiate between the two types without photographic evidence ?