Just returned from Victory 14th-18th

kilkoyne

New member but not new to this site. This was my 5th cruise.

The most notable issue about this cruise was the GI illness I came down with. These things can happen and I don't know if there's any way to protect yourself entirely.

Other things to note.

I was notified by email the day before the trip to arrive two hours late for "extra time to load supplies" (seems strange that they haven't figured this part out yet). This was ok with me as I have a friend in Miami so I visited him. When I arrived at the port it seemed like many people were allowed to embark prior to the two hour delay. Can't say for sure but the terminal was pretty empty.

When receiving my room key no one asked for the health questionnaire. Not a big deal but it felt like the staff was just going through the motions as many other staff in that area also seemed unenthusiastic.

My room was clean and the housekeeper was nice.

The fire drill took forever. The issue was just standing outside on the deck waiting. The drill itself didn't take long but we stood out there for far too long. In the past they would start in the lounge and I think they should go back to that format.

Leaving the port was delayed. According to the captain there was paperwork that needed to be signed. I was in bed at 8:00 PM and the ship was still docked. I didn't care but the whole time the cruise director kept promising us we'd be leaving shortly (please don't make promises you can't keep).

We still arrived in Key West on time the next day. The day was overcast so the general mood on the ship wasn't very cheery. Oh well.

Wednesday severe diarrhea occurred for me and is still with me at time of this writing. Fortunately I didn't leave the ship that day or I would have been in trouble. Not sure if there's any way to prevent this totally. BTW, I ate mostly vegan cold salads the first two days. I'll be a little more careful the next time I cruise.

The biggest issue I had that day was practice emergency drills that was going on for the staff. Every few minutes the horns would go off in the rooms it was really loud. During the drills the cruise director would make his announcements on where the staff was to report. This went on for probably 30 minutes. I ended up wadding papers up and stuffing the speaker in the room to soften the noise because I was trying to rest.

Thursday day at sea was entertaining for the most part and the DJ was good.

Friday was delay after delay trying to disembark. This was the longest time it's taken for me to get off of a ship. I wasn't the only one who noticed. Not sure how much (if any) was Carnival's fault.

What bothered me more was the cruise director "promising" us we'd be getting off this ship shortly. Again, don't promise something you can't deliver. On a positive note he was the least annoying cruise director I've ever experienced.

One thing I noticed was I couldn't find a place to eat peacefully. Everywhere I went music was blasting. I know this is Carnival but it would be nice to be able to eat in peace.

Overall this particular cruise was my least favorite. For the price it's ok but I'll try something different in the future.

Edited by kilkoyne

I'm so sorry that you got sick on your cruise and for all of the noise while you were trying to rest. I have always found the aft pool to be the quietest place on the ship because I don't like loud music. I have sailed on the Victory 4 times, and the crew members have always been the most attentive and polite on this ship. I have sailed with Cruise Director Marcelo twice, and he is definitely the best cruise director that I have sailed with.

I am not trying to bash Carnival or the cruise itself. It wasn't a bad trip, just not my favorite.

I feel there is a risk on any ship/cruise for food illness.

The crew on the ship were pleasant, it was only the terminal area that seemed uninterested.

The area that could have improved was the fire drill. I remember in the past waiting in the lounge until ready to go on deck which was more comfortable than standing on the deck all that time.

Also, during the crew emergency drills the alarms would go off loudly in my room every 5 minutes for a half an hour. I wish they could have had the alarms not in the rooms as I was trying to rest during that time.

It just seemed like a lot of minor issues just seemed to happen throughout this particular cruise. I'd probably recommend it because many of the issues probably would not occur again.

Edited by kilkoyne

I am not trying to bash Carnival or the cruise itself. It wasn't a bad trip, just not my favorite.

The crew on the ship were pleasant, it was only the terminal area that seemed uninterested.

The area that could have improved was the fire drill. I remember in the past waiting in the lounge until ready to go on deck which was more comfortable than standing on the deck all that time.

Also, during the crew emergency drills the alarms would go off loudly in my room every 5 minutes for a half an hour. I wish they could have had the alarms not in the rooms as I was trying to rest during that time.

It just seemed like a lot of minor issues just seemed to happen throughout this particular cruise. I'd probably recommend it because many of the issues probably would not occur again.

On my cruise on the Splendor in July, the safety drill was 30 minutes and held outside also. On the Breeze, it is held indoors. Your review was very fair and honest.

Were you aware of any Cabin construction work and Cabins being blocked off? My understanding is from another post that Deck 6 Cabins have been refurbished and they are now working on Deck 7. The poster on 7 could hear the construction noise on 6 just abour 24 / 7. We are on 8 in three weeks, probably not the best timing. Thanks

We were on the same sailing as you and agree with your comments!

Boarding started around 1PM and sail away was after 10PM. Debarkation also took a really long time - it was around 11 when we got off (last zone).

We didn't like eating on the Lido either - super loud music! We found the aft section by the pizza much quieter.

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well most of the cruise, that would definitely put a damper on things!! Hope your next one is better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi.

So sorry you didn't feel well during your cruise...hopefully you were able to enjoy some of it.:(

We're doing this cruise in December...this is our first 4 day cruise.

Do you remember what night Elegant night was? Would like to find out so I can figure a couple things out :)

Thanks a Bunch :)

Were you aware of any Cabin construction work and Cabins being blocked off? My understanding is from another post that Deck 6 Cabins have been refurbished and they are now working on Deck 7. The poster on 7 could hear the construction noise on 6 just abour 24 / 7. We are on 8 in three weeks, probably not the best timing. Thanks

The refurbishing is still going on deck 7 (if I remember correctly) aft. Not sure about the noise level.

Hi.

So sorry you didn't feel well during your cruise...hopefully you were able to enjoy some of it.:(

We're doing this cruise in December...this is our first 4 day cruise.

Do you remember what night Elegant night was? Would like to find out so I can figure a couple things out :)

Thanks a Bunch :)

Elegant night was the second night - same day as Key West. That was also the night they had the duck entrée, but lobster was nowhere to be found (as expected) unless you pay the surcharge.

There were lots of photo opportunities.

I was on the Victory Nov 14-18 and they were refurbishing deck 7. I was on deck 6 (6276) and the refurbishing was right above our cabin. It was very noisy - sawing and drilling. At one point, they started working at 10:30 pm. We complained but Guest Services explained that they had to continue to work. We spoke with people on deck 7 who also complained. Before you sail, be sure to ask them where they are doing the refurbishing.

I was on the Victory Nov 14-18 and they were refurbishing deck 7. I was on deck 6 (6276) and the refurbishing was right above our cabin. It was very noisy - sawing and drilling. At one point, they started working at 10:30 pm. We complained but Guest Services explained that they had to continue to work. We spoke with people on deck 7 who also complained. Before you sail, be sure to ask them where they are doing the refurbishing.

Thanks for posting. If this was a Hotel they would let you know there was construction work going on. It does not seem ethical for Carnival not to let guests know in advance they could be inpacted by noise at all times of the day and night.