Pricess Lodges

frosty2

We're thinking of booking a pre-cruise land tour in Alaska and wondered whether anyone has knowledge of food/drinks prices in Princess Lodges. Slightly worried that once there, we're "captive" with no alternative dining options if their prices are high, especially since all accomm seems to be on room only basis.

Any advice welcome.

I live in Alaska and we have stayed at the Kenai Princess Lodge so it is the only one I can speak about. Meals were excellant and priced from about 10$ to 25$ a plate. I would call the dining sort of "rustic elegant" at that particular lodge. We love to visit there on weekend get aways every year or so. Menus are on the "gourmet" alaskan side of things meaning that there were always several salmon and halibut items on the menu - very well prepared but a bit on the high side of resort pricing. The lodge is beautiful and the staff is wonderful. I sincerely hope you decide to take the time to see the deeper parts of our great state while you are here. It can't be appreciated until you get a few hundred miles inland and really see the diversity the landscape and wildlife have to offer as you move farther inland.

Enjoy your cruise and your visit to Alaska!

Joni ;)

We stayed at the Kenai Princess Lodge, the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge and the one in Fairbanks on the river in 2001. As I recall they were a bit pricey, but we just ate conservatively and looked forward even more to being on the ship in a few days. There were NO alternative food venues within walking distance of any of the lodges. At two of the lodges, I believe in Fairbanks and at the Mt. McKinley, there was a bar area that served sandwiches. We found that a lot more economical than the dining room. It's not that we're cheap, it's just that there are other things we would rather spend our money on. ;)

We're thinking of booking a pre-cruise land tour in Alaska and wondered whether anyone has knowledge of food/drinks prices in Princess Lodges. Slightly worried that once there, we're "captive" with no alternative dining options if their prices are high, especially since all accomm seems to be on room only basis.

Any advice welcome.

Hi,

DH and I did a Princess landtour in September, staying at the Denali Princess and McKinley Princess. Plan on spending about 30 - 50% more for meals at the lodges....our running joke was that it cost $25 just to sit down at the lodge's restaurants. That said, they were all excellent - food and service - especially the Summit Restaurant at Denali and the Mountain View at McKinley (I wouldn't recommend Lynx Creek Pizza at Denali however). At Denali there are other dining choices off site, but not at McKinley. Both lodges are lovely and I highly recommend a Princess landtour.

Hope I was of some help.

I have visited the Princess Kenia and it is lovely, but the Denali lodge offers a much better perspective of what the Alaskan wilderness offers in terms of landscape and wildlife. Meals are just secondary to the overall experience.

I stayed at the Denali and McKinley lodges in August 2005. There are a lot of restaurants and shops within walking distance of Denali, none at McKinley. There are a lot of choices of food at the lodges, Pizza or Rack of Lamb for example. Prices are reasonable.

I was at the Denali and Copper River lodges in July 2005. The Copper River lodge is in the middle of no where and there is a bar/restaurant and regular restaurant. Because of prices we ate only at bar/restaurant, the food was good and reasonable for Alaska prices. At Denali, we ate mostly outside the lodge as there are more choices at Denali.

Sun Princess-Alaska 1999

Enchantment of the Seas-Caribbean 2003

Dawn Princess-Alaska 2005

Archived