Viking China

2tsquared

They also sell souvenirs if you don't want to carry them home.

We already ordered a set of small warriors through them -- it really feels weird having souvenirs from a trip we are yet to go on.

Maybe someone who bought warriors on the trip can go to the website and tell us how the two sets compare--size, price, quality, etc.

I know from reading here that there are the cheap ones that go for a couple of bucks from the vendors and that these are probably not kiln dried, and there are the more expensive ones (kiln-dried?) that can be purchased in the museum shop. I think the price mentioned was $60. However, the price of the NatGeo warriors is $35 for a set of four. The NatGeo description does not say whether the pieces are kiln-dried and therefore it was hard to figure which quality we were actually getting. Either we got a great bargain on the museum store quality piece or we paid a small fortune for what we could get from a vendor for a few bucks.

Maybe those who have already shopped in China can shed some light on this for us.

Does it really make a difference? If you have your warriors on display after your trip, they will remind you of the fantastic experience you had viewing where they came from, and anyone who visits will not know whether they are kiln-dried or not. I bought one warrior for about $12 from a gift shop other than the official one (See, I already don't know where it came from!) It looks great sitting on a shelf in my living room and it reminds me of my trip. If I wanted a life-sized warrior, I think I would want a kiln-dried one and be ready to pay thousands of dollars. But I only wanted a memento, one which my kids will probably discard when I am no longer here, so my $12 one is great......same as your set for $36...who can tell (unless it melts in the humidity!) if it's kiln-dried or not? If you could see the two choices side by side, you might be able to see a differrence, but if there is only one, who knows?

Still not sure! :o

The $$$ difference between a 16-day and a 12-day is significant. Almost half for the 12-day. The time on the river is something like 10 days vs. 5 or 6, though. We've been to Beijing and Shanghai. Only two days each, so I'm sure we'll see lots more. But the interior of the country is what I'm dreaming about seeing.

We also have a timing problem if we take the 16-day. We'll have to cancel our reservation for a vacation on Captiva Island, Florida, that we've been taking every year for many, many years. I'd hate to do that, but we consider this river cruise the trip of a lifetime.

Which ones are you considering?:confused::confused:

Still not sure! :o

The $$$ difference between a 16-day and a 12-day is significant. Almost half for the 12-day. The time on the river is something like 10 days vs. 5 or 6, though. We've been to Beijing and Shanghai. Only two days each, so I'm sure we'll see lots more. But the interior of the country is what I'm dreaming about seeing.

We also have a timing problem if we take the 16-day. We'll have to cancel our reservation for a vacation on Captiva Island, Florida, that we've been taking every year for many, many years. I'd hate to do that, but we consider this river cruise the trip of a lifetime.

We already ordered a set of small warriors through them -- it really feels weird having souvenirs from a trip we are yet to go on.

Maybe someone who bought warriors on the trip can go to the website and tell us how the two sets compare--size, price, quality, etc.

I know from reading here that there are the cheap ones that go for a couple of bucks from the vendors and that these are probably not kiln dried, and there are the more expensive ones (kiln-dried?) that can be purchased in the museum shop. I think the price mentioned was $60. However, the price of the NatGeo warriors is $35 for a set of four. The NatGeo description does not say whether the pieces are kiln-dried and therefore it was hard to figure which quality we were actually getting. Either we got a great bargain on the museum store quality piece or we paid a small fortune for what we could get from a vendor for a few bucks.

Maybe those who have already shopped in China can shed some light on this for us.

I bought 10 sets of the cheap ones in the boxes at the park from vendors for $4 each set of 4! I gave them individually as gifta and the people loved them. They are quite heavy, so I put them in carry on wrapped in paper and discarded the "gift boxes".

All made it home without breakage!

The first question that popped into my mind was electrical service. We take rechargeable batteries for our cameras and my hubby takes his notebook computer to store backups of the photos, etc.

Do they have 110V on the ship? I figure the hotels will require a converter which we already have, but am still nervous about plugging that notebook computer in.

This is on the Viking web site

Electricity

Onboard electricity is 220V; for more detailed information on plugs and adapters click here. Staterooms will have one or two North American-style outlets for shaver use, in the bathroom and/or desk area.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pdfs/electrical_information.pdf

The first question that popped into my mind was electrical service. We take rechargeable batteries for our cameras and my hubby takes his notebook computer to store backups of the photos, etc.

Do they have 110V on the ship? I figure the hotels will require a converter which we already have, but am still nervous about plugging that notebook computer in.

Check label on the power adapter for the notebook computer. 99.9% of the power supplies for computers manufactured in the last 10 years are dual voltage, meaning that they will work just fine on 110-230 Volts and 50 to 60 Hz. If so, all you will need is a plug adapter, that allows a USA standard plug to plug into a different style outlet. Here's a link that provides plug adapter information. http://traveloasis.com/international-plug-adapters.html

Check label on the power adapter for the notebook computer. 99.9% of the power supplies for computers manufactured in the last 10 years are dual voltage, meaning that they will work just fine on 110-230 Volts and 50 to 60 Hz. If so, all you will need is a plug adapter, that allows a USA standard plug to plug into a different style outlet. Here's a link that provides plug adapter information. http://traveloasis.com/international-plug-adapters.html

There is an American 110 outlet in bath and one at desk.

Made sure my Hep B, A and tetnus were up to date. Not sure on the Visa.

We also got Thypoid shot and bought Cipro and Tamiflu, but luckily didn't need it.

We also took acetaminophen, aspirin and ibuprofen 1 hour prior to landing to make sure we didn't have a fever at airport screening... YES WE WERE PARANOID! .... didn't want to spend vacation in isolation!

For people who chose the Viking Tour, if you looked at the competing GCT tour, is there any specific reasons why you chose Viking. Did you know any one who took the GCT tour (which is more days and cheaper).

I have used Viking before and was Very Happy with them. More days and cheaper may .seem better but we enjoyed our Vicking Cruise tour.

We didn't investigate the other one. I saw an ad for Viking on Facebook, liked what I saw. After we started looking into it, we recalled that our TA had taken the tour recently and she had already told us it was fabulous. We asked if she thought it was worth the money and she said yes and said we had picked the best offering.

For people who chose the Viking Tour, if you looked at the competing GCT tour, is there any specific reasons why you chose Viking. Did you know any one who took the GCT tour (which is more days and cheaper).

We had friends who had gone on the Viking tour and loved it!

We checked out the other tour operators and most responses stated that the other ships and the travel arrangements could not compare.

One response...."http://www.anniebees.com/China/China_2.htm"

Viking was 1st class!

Comparing companies and businesses can be tricky business. We have traveled one time each on Grand Circle and Viking. Both were great experiences. Just remember if you want the finest hotels and accommodations you have to pay for them. That’s the reason we chose Viking for China and also it was for our 50th wedding anniversary. Currently we are in the midst of planning a river cruise with Grand Circle for late May or June of next year. Either way you decide, you will experience another of

“Life’s Great Adventures”.

Archived