Viking China

2tsquared

Have not taken the trip yet (it will start Aug 1), but I was told by Viking that 44 pounds(20KG)/person was the limit for checked baggage, but as a practical matter, was not fully enforced.

We went on Sept 29th Imperial Treasures.

They check all the luggage on Viking's intra-China flights together. Our guide, Iowa, told us not to worry and as long as we supported the economy of China, he would take care of it. We had 4 50 pound suitcases each and silk rug as well as 4 carry-ons all filled with Terra Cotta warriors as well as other junk!

We received our Visas today. Used Gen Visa as recommended by Viking, and took a little over two weeks to get them back. We are on the first Imperial Jewels of 2010 and leave on March 26.

Back to the visa - we are around three hours away from Houston and considered doing the visas ourselves at the Chinese Embassy there. Turnaround is 4 working days, I believe. But to save a bit of a hassle, we decided to use Viking's recommendation of Gen Visa. Our travel agent also told us about a place in Houston called Sam's that porcessed visas, too.

Now all we have to do is wait and pack.

This is our first trip to Asia -been to Europe three times and going back in the fall. Will post and let everyone know how we liked our trip. The only part I'm dreading is the long flight.

I received my Visa yesterday. My passport had a trip all on its own.

I sent it to Vancouver (BC) and was tracking it on line.

It left here on Feb 26th and on Mar 2, I seen it was in Memphis....

I called the courier and asked why my passport had gone there and they said it wouldn't go to the States. I told them to check and they said "Oh, it must be because of the traffic for the Olympics"....

I finally got it yesterday.

It left here on Feb 26th and on Mar 2, I seen it was in Memphis....

I called the courier and asked why my passport had gone there and they said it wouldn't go to the States. I told them to check and they said "Oh, it must be because of the traffic for the Olympics"....

Olympics ended Feb.28th, before they would have received it from you.

I guess it was just an excuse, they probably didn't know why it ended up there.

We Memphians know that Memphis is headquarters of FedEx...

Used to be years ago all FedEx packages wnt through Memphis... now there are hubs everywhere.

Memphis used to be busiest airport in world between Midnight and 5 AM. One takeoff every 90 seconds!

It was Fedex. Do they usually take packages from Canada there and then bring them back?

Sometimes, in the original college thesis by Fred Smith, that FedEx was founded on, all packages were picked up sent to Memphis and redistributed!

Now they have several regional distribution centers.

Docs just arrived! Yay!! For those of you who have taken this trip, are the optional tours (Peking duck & Opera, Tang Dynasty dinner and show) worth the money?

I read a lot of posts where people said The Peking Duck dinner and show wasn't very good and a lot of people fall asleep....

I did read the other one was good.

I think after the long flight and touring for two days I may just skip the Peking dinner.

It will be interesting to see replies from those who have been there recently.

Maybe I will have to try and stay awake.

Hi! We were wondering the worth of the two optional dinners. We definitely want to eat Peking Duck in Beijing, but not the show afterwards. Anyone out there have any comments? Thanks in advance.

We will start gathering things to pack next weeks. We leave two weeks from today! Woo Hoo!

We will be traveling with friends. We ladies LOVE TO SHOP!! Any advice on what to buy and where to go in all cities we visit? Thanks:)

Docs just arrived! Yay!! For those of you who have taken this trip, are the optional tours (Peking duck & Opera, Tang Dynasty dinner and show) worth the money?

We went to both of these in May 2008 when I am sure they were included in our trip so don't know how much extra it is for you. Some people did opt out but we decided to go and were glad we did. The duck was really good but the opera was a bit of a challenge to Western ears;)!! The Tang dinner was OK but the show was very good. We figured that we may never get the opportunity to see either of these shows again.

By the way - enjoy the yak snacks on the internal flights!!

I read a lot of posts where people said The Peking Duck dinner and show wasn't very good and a lot of people fall asleep....

I think after the long flight and touring for two days I may just skip the Peking dinner.

My 2c~~ the duck was good, but not enough to go around. I was extremely tired and the show wasn't that good, but maybe it would have been good if I weren't so tired.

That being said, I'm glad I did it because it was all part of a culture I'd never experienced.

Felicia

Has anyone used hotmail from China or should I open a GMail account so I am able to send e-mail while there?

For those who flew to Xian, did you have time to go the hotel to change before dinner?

Someone had posted they didn't have time so wondered if this happens on all the flights to Xian. We go on the rickshaw ride and then tours before the flight so was hoping we would be able to change into clean clothes.

Also, for Canadians out there, were you able to check an extra bag on the flight home? We are only allowed one going over.

I always pack a light foldup bag and check it when I am coming home if I have bought too much for my large suitcase.

Since everyone on the ship cannot be on a single plane on the internal flights, how many planes do the passengers get split up for? How it is chosen which passengers travel on the earlier flights and which on the later?

Thanks

For those who flew to Xian, did you have time to go the hotel to change before dinner?

No - we went straight to the Tang Dynasty dinner but the cases were taken to the hotel. So if you want your camera remember to take it with you in your carry-ons.

We went in Oct 09. Both were included in cost.

I would skip the Opera! Meal OK but nothing to write home about.

The acrobat show was excellent!

Is there a way to go to the meal and then skip the Opera? We ladies want to shop!!! :)

Yes, you will need to get a cab and info back to hotel. It was a good 20 minutes by the bus. We passed several exciting looking markets along the way. Make sure your guide knows you will be leaving or they will be looking for you!

We did this at museum in Shanghai and spent afternoon shopping in underground!

We did the China trip three years ago. The Opera/Peking Duck was included, though some folks chose not to go, possibly because our tour was from Shanghai to Bejing, and many were tired. We (DW and I) enjoyed the Peking duck and the opera, however several at our table were less than happy.

While the venue may be different on current cruises, we were bussed to a large modern hotel and ushered to a generic conference center with a room formed by the typical temporary walls that are familiar to those of us who have attended hotel conferences. So the ambiance was limited. We did get to watch the Opera performers putting on their makeup as we entered the room. The dining service was OK, but it was obvious that our fellow diners felt that the Peking Duck was to be a much larger entree than we were served. After some discussion, some more was brought.

The Opera was a selection of scenes from a Chinese Opera, which probably was a blessing, as without the cultural background and language, more would have been too much. We did especially enjoy the acrobatic ability of the performers who engaged in a sword fight as if they were in the dark, though the lights were up so the audience could see.

I would rank it as a drive up Pikes Peak. One ought to do it once, for the experience. However, I can't imagine anyone doing it twice. Your mileage may vary. Also, Viking may have adjusted the venue to a less sterile setting, which could make the overall experience better.

Thank you all for your input. The two dinner/shows are now optional, with a pricey charge. We may decide to skip the Peking duck and opera, but go to the Tang Dynasty evening. We got our visas today, took about 3 1/2 weeks. We will be in Beijing for a couple of days early, and stay an extra two days in Shanghai. Any suggestions for how to spend that time?

Archived