grand prix abu dhabi

hobgoblin

Hello

Just booked with celebrity for next year to stop at Abu dhabi for grand prix.

Anybody on this itinerary right now?or even previous years ?

Starts at Rome,Athens ,Suez Canal,Jordan and ends in Abu dhabi?

Wondered if the cruise ship terminal was far from the circuit?

Also if Celebrity get you to the qualifying on the first day there?

We just got off the Athens to Abu Dhabi but I didn't go to f1. We arrived on Saturday at 4pm and I believe the qualifying was at 5pm. I think the track is about a 30 min taxi ride from the port but others will need to confirm.

We stopped at Chania on Crete which is a nice old town in Venetian style. 3 sea days including down the suez which was nice. Day for Petra which was amazing, 5 sea days and then Muscat. It is primarily a re-positioning cruise.

I know the ship was giving preference to f1 attendees for disembarkation but can't tell you much more.

Perhaps post on our roll call and see if anyone responds?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I was on the Constellation Suez cruise just finished and had a two day ticket (bought direct, not through Celebrity), but didn't even bother with quali session on Saturday. I spoke to some folk who had charged off the ship as soon as possible, (which was a little after 4pm) - some had missed it all, some had seen some of it and one couple said they only missed 10 minutes - they got their own cab from the rank, right at the terminal. It is about 30 minutes away, and large highways to get there. Of course, if you want to see whatever concert is on that night (Lionel Richie this year) it may be more worth it and there is a lower formula race after the F1 session.

The ship offered (quite late in the cruise) a one-way transfer to the circuit for $30 - this is significantly more than a taxi even just for one. Cost one way was around 80 dirham, so about $21.

The ship's excursion is basically misdescribed and I think there were some complaints about it - also hugely expensive. It is VERY easy to get round Abu Dhabi on your own.

I'll be doing a full review in due course, and will cover the F1.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I had a full day in Wadi Rum, not Petra, when we were in Jordan, which was fabulous.

Check out Jenna's live blog of the cruise here (she did the one before too and has yet to catch up from Oman onwards, but she did do a private tour to Petra and Wadi Rum!):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414419

Hoping to get to my review this weekend.

We went to Petra only as felt day was too short (sunset before 5pm) to add wadi rum (some did though). We hired a car and driver thru Jordan echo tours. We walked ourselves with own guide book. Got a great tip from visitors centre to do walk to place of high sacrifice and then around the back trail back to royal tombs. Big walk but great as saw lots of different stuff and got away from the crowds after seeing the famous Treasury.

Must visit place

We went to Petra only as felt day was too short (sunset before 5pm) to add wadi rum (some did though). We hired a car and driver thru Jordan echo tours. We walked ourselves with own guide book. Got a great tip from visitors centre to do walk to place of high sacrifice and then around the back trail back to royal tombs. Big walk but great as saw lots of different stuff and got away from the crowds after seeing the famous Treasury.

Must visit place

Hi

Thanks for that.

Are there tours other than petra organised from the ship?

How easy and how expensive is it to book independently to do wadi rum ?

Hi

Thanks for that.

Are there tours other than petra organised from the ship?

How easy and how expensive is it to book independently to do wadi rum ?

I can't remember what the ship offered but there are multiple companies that will take you to wadi rum. Look up wadi rum on TripAdvisor and you will find reviews for loads of tour companies, most of the companies that do Petra also can organise wadi rum. We emailed many companies and all wrote back with quotes. Good luck

I got to my seat on the Saturday with 5 minutes to spare. So I saw all of quali. Waited on deck 3 midship and they didn't seem to call the disembarkation numbers. Got off the ship about 4.15, through face to face passport control, into a taxi with a German couple that luckily were in the same stand as me (north). The taxi driver dropped us literally outside gate 23 (IIRC) at 4.45 and I was in zone 4. Got through gate security and in my seat at 4.55pm. You can't take food or water in. I bought my ticket direct from yas and got a discount as I booked it in April. Keep an eye on the website. I paid £256 for sat and sun.

Cruise was great and a fab way to get to see a race!! I might do it in 2017 as well. I'm hoping celebrity are a bit more organised for the next one. They didn't seem to have done any homework until the last couple of days. I stayed on the ship in Jordan but it's just across from Eilat and some hotels at head of bay. I think if I go I might go to a hotel next time. I didn't go to the concerts as I met a friend and we'd booked to go to dinner. We had a car booked to pick us up from the track, was OK sat night but Sunday was a nightmare. North is right near the arena so lots of traffic coming out from the main paddock area and hoards of people walking. The police are pretty strict.

I think the only ship excursions in Jordan were Petra and a Dead Sea "experience". There was certainly nothing to Wadi Rum, which I found surprising, but very easy to organise a private tour. I spent a great day there on a tour arranged by some kind folk off the Roll Call, using Real Bedouin Experience Day Tours, http://www.wadirum-jordan.com.